"Thank you"

A personal message from Rob Elliot

Dear Trophshy,

I wanted to take the opportunity to write to you all personally and say a massive thank you for all the messages of support I have received since suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury while playing for Ireland last night.

The warm wishes I have seen from fans, players and people involved in the game mean the world to me and it’s nice to know that there are so many good people wishing me well at such a dark time.

Sustaining the injury happened in a split second. The ball was played across the goal and I moved across to get in line. I dived after the ball as I would do in any training session or any game, but I felt pain straight away. Watching it back, I grabbed my knee before I’d even landed.

When I found out it was my cruciate ligament, that’s when the tears came. There was a wave of emotion knowing I’d miss the rest of the season with Newcastle and the Euros with Ireland. But you have to let that come, get past it and then look to be positive.

I’ve got a good base of people who’ve been through this before. Former teammates like Ryan Taylor and Dan Gosling and players like Tim Krul, who is going through it now. Tim will be a great support to me and I hope we can help each other.

We’re still in a fight as a club but on a personal level, I’m very proud to have played a part this season and to have made a difference.

When I was initially thrown in, people were unsure. But you, our fans, supported me and had faith in me. I remember when I walked out for the Norwich game and the whole Gallowgate stood and applauded me. I hadn’t done anything at that point but you were right behind me and it gave me the confidence I needed going into that game.

That triggered it. When you have the backing of the whole city, it lifts you and you take that confidence into every game. You feel part of it and I want to thank our fans for that.

Karl Darlow will now get that opportunity and I know you will show him the support that you've given me. He’s a great guy, he gets what Newcastle is all about and he works hard every day to get an opportunity like this. He deserves that roar from our fans like I had.

I messaged him as soon as I knew about my injury because I wanted him to know and to be ready. I know how good a goalkeeper he is already and how good he is going to be.

Norwich will be a big game and a big occasion for all of us on Saturday and we need to show the fight and resolve that we’ve shown recently.

I see the quality the boys have every day. We’ve got such ability and so many great people, I just want them to go out and express themselves so that when we walk off the pitch, we don’t regret anything.

We’re sold out away from home again. All of those people are going there, like they do every week, to help us to perform and we need to do that.

I wish Karl and the boys the best in carrying us forward and getting us out of the relegation fight. Alongside you, I’ll be right behind them.

Rob Elliot

"Thank you"

A personal message from Rob Elliot

Dear Trophshy,

I wanted to take the opportunity to write to you all personally and say a massive thank you for all the messages of support I have received since suffering a cruciate knee ligament injury while playing for Ireland last night.

The warm wishes I have seen from fans, players and people involved in the game mean the world to me and its nice to know that there are so many good people wishing me well at such a dark time.

Sustaining the injury happened in a split second. The ball was played across the goal and I moved across to get in line. I dived after the ball as I would do in any training session or any game, but I felt pain straight away. Watching it back, I grabbed my knee before Id even landed.

When I found out it was my cruciate ligament, thats when the tears came. There was a wave of emotion knowing Id miss the rest of the season with Newcastle and the Euros with Ireland. But you have to let that come, get past it and then look to be positive.

Ive got a good base of people whove been through this before. Former teammates like Ryan Taylor and Dan Gosling and players like Tim Krul, who is going through it now. Tim will be a great support to me and I hope we can help each other.

Were still in a fight as a club but on a personal level, Im very proud to have played a part this season and to have made a difference.

When I was initially thrown in, people were unsure. But you, our fans, supported me and had faith in me. I remember when I walked out for the Norwich game and the whole Gallowgate stood and applauded me. I hadnt done anything at that point but you were right behind me and it gave me the confidence I needed going into that game.

That triggered it. When you have the backing of the whole city, it lifts you and you take that confidence into every game. You feel part of it and I want to thank our fans for that.

Karl Darlow will now get that opportunity and I know you will show him the support that you've given me. Hes a great guy, he gets what Newcastle is all about and he works hard every day to get an opportunity like this. He deserves that roar from our fans like I had.

I messaged him as soon as I knew about my injury because I wanted him to know and to be ready. I know how good a goalkeeper he is already and how good he is going to be.

Norwich will be a big game and a big occasion for all of us on Saturday and we need to show the fight and resolve that weve shown recently.

I see the quality the boys have every day. Weve got such ability and so many great people, I just want them to go out and express themselves so that when we walk off the pitch, we dont regret anything.

Were sold out away from home again. All of those people are going there, like they do every week, to help us to perform and we need to do that.

I wish Karl and the boys the best in carrying us forward and getting us out of the relegation fight. Alongside you, Ill be right behind them.

Rob Elliot

Heres me thinking he's a nice lad and he calls us trophyshy :/ Edited by gpirlo68

• 4 months later...

Is the concept there that he doesn't have to sully his good name in the Championship, but then can come back once all the hard work is done??

Aye I'm sorry like but if that's the case he's welcome to fuck off permanently. Elliott signing a new deal is ok news but he seems to be injured a decent amount.

If we retain Krul and it was genuinely to keep him in top flight football somewhere in Europe, I wouldn't be too disappointed. It'll increase his value if he performs well and if he doesn't then we can get rid.

• 2 weeks later...