Newcastle United have completed their third summer signing with the arrival of winger Matt Ritchie from AFC Bournemouth.

The 26-year-old Scotland international has agreed a five-year deal at St. James' Park, and follows goalkeeper Matz Sels and striker Dwight Gayle to Tyneside.

Ritchie spent three-and-a-half years at Bournemouth, making 142 appearances, scoring 31 goals and recording 29 assists.

He helped the Cherries lift the League One and Championship titles, as well as playing a key role in establishing Bournemouth in the Premier League last season.

Previously, Ritchie started his career at Portsmouth and spent time on loan at Dagenham & Redbridge, Notts County and Swindon Town, before joining the Robins permanently.

"It's an unbelievable feeling to come to a football club like this," said Ritchie.

"I loved it at Bournemouth - I had a fantastic time there and it had a huge impact on my career. But when a club like Newcastle comes calling, I couldn't pass up this opportunity.

"It's fantastic to be here and I'm really looking forward to the challenge of getting the Club back in the Premier League."

Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez said: "We have been following some wingers for a while and Matt was one of the best prospects for this team.

"He has great ability and pace, and as soon as we knew that Andros Townsend could be leaving, our priority was to finalise this deal.

"We have signed an exciting winger who has experience in the Championship but has also proved that he can step up to the top level. I am delighted that he is now part of our squad."

Welcome to Newcastle!

As a straight swap for Townsend I think we would have struggled to do better. Very happy with this. Couple of defenders, a centre mid and selling that cunt sissoko and I'll be over the moon.

We made 3m profit too

Interesting that they seem to think he's anything but pacey.

Mind you, a fair bit of bitterness comes through in that thread.

From what I've seen of him he's definitely not quick like, but has an excellent left foot on him.

Definitely not your traditional winger even though he plays out wide.

Definitely doesn't sound pacey. Rafa could just have said that as it's a go-to thing to say about wingers though. I'm sure he's fully scouted the lad :lol: It's not like we're back in the Pardew days.

Chuffed with this one, as DK said about the best we could hope for to replace Townsend. Townsends best performances are better than his but I think Ritchie has less off games than Townsend.

He's more of a technician winger (like a destitute mans Beckham type) than a pacy one but that will help is in a division we are going to have a lot of possession.

Feels like we're building around Mtirovic, a winger who cuts inside exchanged for a crosser and a small pacey forward to buzz around him and work off him.

Feels like we're building around Mtirovic, a winger who cuts inside exchanged for a crosser and a small pacey forward to buzz around him and work off him.

Aye, it's amazing to finally see a manager actively building a team rather than ones that just hoy whatever they get onto the pitch and hope it works.

Aye, it's amazing to finally see a manager actively building a team rather than ones that just hoy whatever they get onto the pitch and hope it works.

Aarons on the flanks too; another one who'll get at the full-back. Wonder if, he does play 2 up top, we'll see Shelvey further forward as Colback sweeps up behind him.

I had a quick look on the mackem site to see if we were still relevant to them (after they've kept telling us how irrelevant we are) and of course they have threads on each of our new signings.

The Matt Ritchie thread has a new thing in 'mag in the paper shop' :lol: they all keep saying how we are shit but we now all keep talking about how good we will be, seemingly not understanding that since we have dropped a division we now are one of the better sides in the league we are playing in, thick cunts.

Edit: Also the above is from their 2nd thread about Ritchie's move to us, here is the first thread about him... Oops :lol:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/matt-ritchie.1245021/

Edited by Howay

I had a quick look on the mackem site to see if we were still relevant to them (after they've kept telling us how irrelevant we are) and of course they have threads on each of our new signings.

The Matt Ritchie thread has a new thing in 'mag in the paper shop' :lol: they all keep saying how we are shit but we now all keep talking about how good we will be, seemingly not understanding that since we have dropped a division we now are one of the better sides in the league we are playing in, thick cunts.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/matt-ritchie.1245021/

This thread man :lol: notice the change on page 4

:lol: Was just editing my post to add that thread. Fucking thick twats, a day ago it was hilarious to them that we would think he would come and now they're all crying saying "it's just for more money", aye which is why 90% of players play for who they do ffs or do they think their players have a deep love for SAFC?