Vladimir Putin and Russia

Anorthernsoul

50 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Brexit and Trumpism were both Russian strategies and financed as such. 

We will be much poorer for it, and as a function of that our military capability will diminish (and is diminishing already - RAF as an example, is half the size it was 10/12 years ago).

The organisation we left is getting more powerful whilst we shrink, but it’s all good 🙄

good ol lizzy 

Putin issued nuclear order in response to Liz Truss comments, Kremlin says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/putin-ukraine-russia-truss-nuclear-b2024839.html

also 

Russia's Kommersant newspaper quoted two diplomatic sources as saying that during their closed-door meeting on Thursday Lavrov had asked Truss if she recognised Russian sovereignty over Rostov and Voronezh - two regions in the south of the country where Russia has been building up its forces. Kommersant said Truss replied that Britain would never recognise them as Russian, and had to be corrected by her ambassador. Britain does not dispute the sovereignty of the regions in question. A British source said Truss had misheard during the meeting, and rejected Peskov's characterisation of the West's understanding of the conflict.

• Jaysus... 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

good ol lizzy 

Putin issued nuclear order in response to Liz Truss comments, Kremlin says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/putin-ukraine-russia-truss-nuclear-b2024839.html

also 

Russia's Kommersant newspaper quoted two diplomatic sources as saying that during their closed-door meeting on Thursday Lavrov had asked Truss if she recognised Russian sovereignty over Rostov and Voronezh - two regions in the south of the country where Russia has been building up its forces. Kommersant said Truss replied that Britain would never recognise them as Russian, and had to be corrected by her ambassador. Britain does not dispute the sovereignty of the regions in question. A British source said Truss had misheard during the meeting, and rejected Peskov's characterisation of the West's understanding of the conflict.

:lol: Giveover

Puts the world on Nuclear alert because some woman said some nasty things. :lol: 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Puts the world on Nuclear alert because some woman said some nasty things. :lol: 

i thought it might be a joke when I heard it last week but I see Reuters also reported it. even if putin's decision to move nuclear forces to high alert was a direct reaction to the sanctions, these quotes once again underscore the fact we have the worst politicians at the worst time. doesn't even know the official government line ffs

Edited by Dr Gloom

34 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

That's a really interesting video. It doesn't however prove or disprove a thing. What Trump says in public is one thing, the fact that he's the leader of an international crime syndicate intrinsically linked to Russia is entirely another... 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

The whole thread is worth a read.

This thread is superb and IMO completely accurate based on my limited knowledge. And it makes me so fucking angry, it really does. I don't even know how we row it back from here.

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

That's a really interesting video. It doesn't however prove or disprove a thing. What Trump says in public is one thing, the fact that he's the leader of an international crime syndicate intrinsically linked to Russia is entirely another... 

it's also common knowledge that germany has made smaller contributions as a percentage of gdp to nato than other members and relies heavily on russia for energy. good to see them responding positively to the ukraine crisis on both counts 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's also common knowledge that germany has made smaller contributions as a percentage of gdp to nato than other members and relies heavily on russia for energy. good to see them responding positively to the ukraine crisis on both counts 

Trump wanted out of NATO.... I wonder why?  :cuppa:

34 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I’m not fussed if people have a completely different take on things, I just think Trump was a better president than he was given credit for.

2 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I’m not fussed if people have a completely different take on things, I just think Trump was a better president than he was given credit for.

well that's fine, and of course you're entitled to your opinion, but that video you posted does nothing to suggest that is the case. 

trump, like putin, doesn't like the EU or Nato, and did what he could to divide both institutions 

It’s ironic that we’re fighting to allow a former member of a political union to remain a separate entity.

they're a free, democratic country on europe's border, which wants closer ties with the west, but which has been invaded by an autocrat. it would be weird if we weren't on their side 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

well that's fine, and of course you're entitled to your opinion, but that video you posted does nothing to suggest that is the case. 

trump, like putin, doesn't like the EU or Nato, and did what he could to divide both institutions 

I think he rightly points out that America contributes proportionately more to an entity that is of potentially far more benefit to others than to the US itself.

51 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

That “some woman” is the UK Foreign Secretary and therefore what she says is taken as our position.

We know she’s a useless piece of shit, but the position she holds (god help us) is just a tad important

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

they're a free, democratic country on europe's border, which wants closer ties with the west, but which has been invaded by an autocrat. it would be weird if we weren't on their side 

I agree… just pointing out that’s it’s a “funny” reversal.

I think he rightly points out that America contributes proportionately more to an entity that is of potentially far more benefit to others than to the US itself.

well, he stated the obvious on nato contributions, yes. i fail to see how this makes him a better president than we think.  

9 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Thereby confirming he was utterly shit.

How many yanks do you know ?? I work with rather a lot of them (I report to the US god help me) and am related to a good few as well btw.

If you get your ‘news’ from ‘alternative news sites’ backed by people of a conservative slant (and by extension in all likelihood Putin) then you’ll have a different view on the actions of Putin and those on his payroll. 

18 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I think that's what you want to beleive tbh. You can say "he did this, he did that" till the cows come home. The fact that he's a gangster seems to pass people like you by, but your perfectly willing to annhilate Biden and the Clinton's for alllgedly doing the same things. For which you don't appear to have any evidence for in the first place. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

well, he stated the obvious on nato contributions, yes. i fail to see how this makes him a better president than we think.  

When you see him talking from a podium it’s a cringe fest. But in a room he is personable and (in my view) usually accurate in his assessment of most issues.

For my money anyway.

17 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

How much more does the US contribute?

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think that's what you want to beleive tbh. You can say "he did this, he did that" till the cows come home. The fact that he's a gangster seems to pass people like you by, but your perfectly willing to annhilate Biden and the Clinton's for alllgedly doing the same things. For which you don't appear to have any evidence for in the first place. 

How is he a gangster?