Promotion

Rayvin

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, gave rise to Bobby's moon quote.

Journalist "If you beat Arsenal and Man United don't beat Leeds, you could be top for Christmas"

Bobby "Aye, but if I had wings I could fly to the moon"

J "Sure, Bobby, but would you like to be there?"

B "What? The moon?"

:lol:

something like that, anyway.

class :lol: 

Not that tonight's game has much to do with whether or not we get promoted, but we're starting to look pretty fucking consistent. And as Howay says, our strength in depth is formidable.

That's it like it shows our depth, Preston fans are all saying it was irrelevant as it was mostly their 2nd string but at the same time our side only had 4 of the same starters from the Ipswich game in it at kick off. Mitrovic is probably better than the majority of teams starting strikers (imo he's definitely better) and he's barely getting a look in at the moment.

It's ridiculous how much everyone took to Mitro :D He hasn't achieved a great deal with us at all but his attitude has gone a long way. I'd love to see him properly established here and doing well.

Aye, you cant do that in the premier league where you wont get enough chances to still manage to get a couple of goals with a 20% chance conversion rate. This would be the concern with both him and Gayle if we get promoted. Funny to be complaining about missed chances when you're scoring the amount of goals we have but you cant help but think in terms of what will be required next year (hopefully) and how we've struggled to create good goal scoring chances in the last few seasons.

Aye, you cant do that in the premier league where you wont get enough chances to still manage to get a couple of goals with a 20% chance conversion rate. This would be the concern with both him and Gayle if we get promoted. Funny to be complaining about missed chances when you're scoring the amount of goals we have but you cant help but think in terms of what will be required next year (hopefully) and how we've struggled to create good goal scoring chances in the last few seasons.

We are still a newly formed team learning how to play together mind.

And Diame as well. We'll piss this league but I think we'll really need an overhaul when we're promoted.

We are still a newly formed team learning how to play together mind.

Yes but many of them have played in the premiership before and have had major consistency issues. I would say Ritchie is the one who's looked quality more times than not for Bournemouth. Gayle scored a few for Palace but for some reason didnt seem to get many games.

Its all hypothetical of course. For all we know Rafa could have a great team going by next year, getting the best out of the likes of Shelvey and Mitrovic who on their day can definitely cut it in that league. But it is a concern. Plus you do wonder that with the club atmosphere so much different now, and pricks like Sissoko not around, if the people that struggled for form so much last year could do better.

And Diame as well. We'll piss this league but I think we'll really need an overhaul when we're promoted.

Some key areas will need upgrading at least. Centre midfield would be one for me for sure. A number 10 perhaps. If Gayle and Mitro can get 20-25 goals this season it'd be harsh on them not to back them next year though. That will be the interesting part. 

Next year will be about consolidation anyway, and I strongly suspect that we'll be able to go toe to toe with the lower half of the PL without worry. Leicester managed to win the league with a team that should have struggled ffs, with the right mentality and organisation we should be fine.

If we strengthen one or two areas, get ourselves established again, then we'll be able to kick on in the 3rd season of Rafa's term with us.

Rafa has definitely changed the whole mentality of the club around now.  We were just a bunch of losers and, for me, you could see how that carried on to the first couple of games of this season.  Now everything is different and if we do go up, I expect that we will have a much better mindset to go up against premiership teams, even if we only had the players we have now (which is not something I expect).

I have no worries whatsoever about Benitez getting the mentality of the squad right.  I'm even confident he will be allowed to spend the clubs money as he sees fit.  My major worry is whether the club is run as a Premier League outfit and not a 2 bob operation tacked onto a clothes shop.

It's worrying that the multi-million pound training ground redevelopment isn't in progress, the club preferring to make a big deal of laying a few pitches that most 5 a-sides would expect at a minimum.

Also that the stadium remains falling into disrepair.  it's a running joke how often the Gallowgate floods get brought up at the Fans Forum, but it should get brought up until someone at the club listens and sorts it out.

The website still isn't fit for purpose and the Box office is still a shambles staffed by children so we get debacles like the last few days where you couldn't buy tickets online, then over the phone, then after 5pm.

The owner and Chief exec still haven't been able to say a word publicly since relegation for fear of putting their feet in their mouths and harming the delicate balance of optimism that Benitez has managed to create.

The bonus payments will have to be negotiated which we have seen cause friction before.

There's lots that could harm the mentality of players and coaches without Rafa being able to do anything about it.

Fair points HF. The club needs much better management in a business sense, and many of those things you've mentioned wouldn't cost a fortune to fix so its lethargy if it's anything. We probably need an upgrade on Charnley as well. He's the Pardew of the administration side.

Actually that might be generous. The John Carver of the same, perhaps...

Edited by Rayvin

Mitrovic has become quite the Escape Goat.

It's obvious Mitrovic is not happy about not getting starts in league matches but if he put the effort in for the 10-15 minute runs he has been getting, like he played last night, Rafa would have to take notice. Problem is he doesn't help himself with moping about or the stupid shit, eg last night's 2nd goal, which was a cracker but ffs keep your shirt on and don't get (another) yellow card.

It's obvious Mitrovic is not happy about not getting starts in league matches but if he put the effort in for the 10-15 minute runs he has been getting, like he played last night, Rafa would have to take notice. Problem is he doesn't help himself with moping about or the stupid shit, eg last night's 2nd goal, which was a cracker but ffs keep your shirt on and don't get (another) yellow card.

Has he been moping like? Not been paying much attention but I don't think I heard anything to suggest that.