President Biden

Happy Face

Dangerous though, isn't it? And not to bang on about narratives but they absolutely need to have one, a really strong one, before they oust him. The media is laying the groundwork for that if nothing else.

I think it's naive to think the POTUS is omnipotent. And neither should they be. One way or another Trump will be gone imo, interesting to see if me or Parky is right.

The media is simply reporting events. I think it's a tactical mistake for Trump to so brazenly attack them, again in contrast to Parky. They're not consciously laying groundwork though.

I think it's naive to think the POTUS is omnipotent. And neither should they be. One way or another Trump will be gone imo, interesting to see if me or Parky is right.

The media is simply reporting events. I think it's a tactical mistake for Trump to so brazenly attack them, again in contrast to Parky. They're not consciously laying groundwork though.

If they're not the king makers why is it dangerous to attack them. Trump supporters despise the "lame steam' media. They'll love it. Hence the questionnaire I linked to earlier.

If they're not the king makers why is it dangerous to attack them. Trump supporters despise the "lame steam' media. They'll love it. Hence the questionnaire I linked to earlier.

Eh? Stifling reporting of facts and free speech is pretty dangerous I'd think.

I think there'll be widespread civil unrest if they oust him, all the more potent if they do so without a really good reason. He was elected as a protest against the established order, and it absolutely will look like the establishment trying to tear him down again.

I wonder if Sanders could be persuaded to run again if they bin off the whole administration.

Eh? Stifling reporting of facts and free speech is pretty dangerous I'd think.

I mean how does it harm Trump? It's not a mistake for him personally if he can lump in factual criticism with fake news and blur the lines between them. It helps him.

I think there'll be widespread civil unrest if they oust him, all the more potent if they do so without a really good reason. He was elected as a protest against the established order, and it absolutely will look like the establishment trying to tear him down again.

I wonder if Sanders could be persuaded to run again if they bin off the whole administration.

He'll not be ousted as such. He will be removed through legal mechanisms or die of natural causes.

Sanders: tick.

I mean how does it harm Trump? It's not a mistake for him personally if he can lump in factual criticism with fake news and blur the lines between them. It helps him.

I didn't say the media have no influence. I'd think that anyone with a modicum of intelligence will regard attacks on the free press as dictatorial and it will lose Trump support, I hope. But maybe not.

I didn't say the media have no influence. I'd think that anyone with a modicum of intelligence will regard attacks on the free press as dictatorial and it will lose Trump support, I hope. But maybe not.

You and I agree on the attacks.  As I said earlier...

https://action.donaldjtrump.com/mainstream-media-accountability-survey/

Scary stuff.

Participate and you legitimise the charade. Don't and the responses of his supporters will legitimise his stance.

Expect lists of which media are acceptable and which aren't.

What does he hope to do to resolve unfairness. Does punitive action follow, like a tyrrany?

The last question is particularly abhorrent and completely reverses what is supposed to be the relationship between press and government in free society.

Where we disagree is that it will lose him support. I thought you were framing it as a tactical mistake if he wants to stay in power.   It was a pillar of his election that the "dishonest media" were lying to his voters and that they should listen to him and infowars and breitbart instead.  Voters that agree with him about muslims and mexicans and a wall and moving jobs overseas are inclined to agree that a media class who fully supported Clinton in opposition to those questions do not represent them and are peddling misinformation.

Even as the media exposed his lies with evidence, his supporters didn't care.  

A bit like arguing on here, evidence is irrelevant when views are entrenched ;)

You and I agree on the attacks.  As I said earlier...

Where we disagree is that it will lose him support. I thought you were framing it as a tactical mistake if he wants to stay in power.   It was a pillar of his election that the "dishonest media" were lying to his voters and that they should listen to him and infowars and breitbart instead.  Voters that agree with him about muslims and mexicans and a wall and moving jobs overseas are inclined to agree that a media class who fully supported Clinton in opposition to those questions do not represent them and are peddling misinformation.

Amen to that last bit :P

You and I agree on the attacks. As I said earlier...

Where we disagree is that it will lose him support. I thought you were framing it as a tactical mistake if he wants to stay in power. It was a pillar of his election that the "dishonest media" were lying to his voters and that they should listen to him and infowars and breitbart instead. Voters that agree with him about muslims and mexicans and a wall and moving jobs overseas are inclined to agree that a media class who fully supported Clinton in opposition to those questions do not represent them and are peddling misinformation.

It's a fair point but if you look at the demographics of his support they're obviously not all Bible bashing southern hicks or rust belt destitutes. A sizable proportion were normal middle class voters. A lot of these would have thought his electoral campaign was pure rhetoric. Now they know iys not, I'd imagine they would have concern over his attacks on the press. His approval ratings seems to indicate his cluster fuck style of presidency isn't working.

On the coup question, I think he's on shaky ground.  Why does he question the leaks that could oust a president in one case (Trump), but fully endorse the leaks of Snowden, Manning, Clinton emails, etc.

All cases involve people with access to information they feel would be in the public good and making that call themselves.

I think it just about holds water because the difference is that the Flynn leak is one that empowers the agencies that held the information and is a strategic choice to achieve their policicsal aims, whereas in all those other cases the leakers were working in opposition to the organisation they leaked from in order to ensure people knew about their wrong doing, rather than some other organisation which they opposed.

For me , the Flynn leak is valuable and the perpetrator of it should not be crminalised any more than I think Snowden or Manning should have, but the repsonse should not be to cheer it and encourage more. Intelligence services invested with great secret powers using them to work against the government is not where a society should go.

It seems to me that if you support this because it's important to embarrass Trump at any cost, then we lose the one thing that is a requirement of a healthy democracy, a strong opposition that reflects the opposition of society to the actions of power holders.  If the reaction to the shambles of a campaign that Clinton and the democrats ran is not to change the democratic platform in any way, but to persist with the corporate centre right stance and just get the intelligence agencies to bring down anyone that challenges that orthodoxy, then you're fermenting further disquiet throughout the populace.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden