Guardiola

Park Life

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'the fish' is on post moderation. He's put a few essays in here about some post modern shite and how Pep is the first manager to be truly post truth but we aren't releasing them.

I don't think he's a bad coach by any stretch, he's obviously talented but I think he's massively overrated and always thought he comes across as an arsehole. He took over an unbelievable squad at Barca, he managed them really well and implemented his system but even so the squad was immense (players like Yaya couldn't even get in the side ffs), Madrid were poor competition for most of it though and then when Mourinho took over and pushed them he jumped ship and took his hiatus. 

Didnt Mourinho have a very poor head to heard record against him at Real? I think he left because there really was nothing left for him to do there. Makes sense.

Dont really watch a lot of Bundesliga so cant comment on his time at Bayern much. But I like him for his time at Barca. It was the best football I've seen and most likely will ever. Yes it was a ridiculously talented side but he got them playing at their best consistently including the lesser known fringe players. Enrique has gone with a more direct approach, not anywhere near as nice to see. I'd make a bigger case for them winning matches mostly because of their stars these days as compared to Pep's time. I think the footballing philosophy was far more evident in play under Guardiola and that says something about a coach when a team's got that many stars in it.

He'll do well at City imo if he gets the time. Agree with Tooj here, 2-3 years. When he's drilled his way of doing things into the place. City have a good many players in the latter stages of successful careers. Harder to get them to play a different way. Sounds like an excuse but he is one of these coaches who needs the players to buy into his way of playing.

It's part of what makes English football so good though. The depth of football in this country is unprecedented anywhere else in the world and some managers struggle with that. Guardiola has only been used to competitive games against the top 4 or 5 in Spain and the top 10 in Germany.

England has:

- 5 full time professional leagues at the top of the pyramid

- 11 leagues at level 6,7,8 who all pay decent part time wages

- 763 teams meet the professional standard to enter the FA cup (own ground etc.)

- All told, just for Saturday football alone, there are 6500 clubs playing in 487 leagues

- And you can probably double that for Sunday league teams

Compare that to other countries in Europe where their 3rd and 4th divisions are like pub teams

England footballer Ashley Cole is suing The Sun and the News of the World over claims that two Premiership players indulged in a "gay sex orgy".

He has filed writs for harassment, breach of privacy and libel. The libel part of the claim is unusual because the Arsenal defender has not been named in any of the stories. In a story published on 12 February, the News of the World claimed "two bisexual stars made some very dirty phone calls - using a mobile phone as a gay sex toy." The story did not name the players.

The newspaper published a follow-up story on 19 February, and similar allegations appeared in The Sun. The articles fuelled internet speculation over the identities of the players.

Legal experts said the privacy part of the claim relied on an untested concept known as "false privacy". Cole will say his privacy has been invaded, even though he says he is not gay.

The libel part of the claim will give the media an indication of how safe they are to run allegations against unnamed parties, when the public is able to work out the identity after hints in any public reports.

Didnt Mourinho have a very poor head to heard record against him at Real? I think he left because there really was nothing left for him to do there. Makes sense.

I wouldn't say it was very poor, it's all opinion as there's no way we'll really know but it always seemed convenient to me that after close title races the two prior years he announced he was leaving shortly after losing to Real at home and falling 7 points behind not for a job elsewhere but for a sabbatical. He secured another job only 6 month or so into the sabbatical and spent much of the time apparently picking which job he wanted.

It just seemed like he rushed out of Barca as the pressure was building on him after losing the title (like I said before about the medias ridiculousness working both ways they were effectively saying he was a busted flush) and then was looking for another job rather than his explanation that he needed time away.

His sabbatical was moving to N.Y. and learning German. ;)

:lol: Aye he did pick up German quick, especially for a bloke who said he'd not speak to clubs who had a current manager 9 days before Bayern released he was going to be their next manager much to Heynckes' surprise.

• 3 weeks later...

Three uncomfortable nose pick attempts while staring and grinning like a psycho. :lol:

"We have to understand the rules here in Eng''...

Yeah it ain't a cannon fodder league sweetie.

Edited by Park Life

• 2 weeks later...