2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

It's a nightmare for small businesses. If you have a woman going off on maternity for 9-12 months you can get maternity cover in. If you have a father going off for a month it's impossible to get someone half decent in and trained to provide cover for a month. Two weeks is just about manageable but a month is ridiculous.

Dunno like, I reckon our business could handle it and we're cut to the bone in terms of the number of people we have. Then again we cross train staff religiously to ensure that we're prepared for stuff like that, maybe other small businesses aren't as well organised.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Practical for the business yeah? Not the zombie sleep-deprived chap with the new-born. 

If you're getting up with the baby during the night then you aren't a proper man anyway.

At the end of the day, businesses would adapt because they'd have to. Same as they're having to with Brexit. Those that went under, in a free market system, would be replaced.

He could implement it gradually anyway, organisations would have time to adjust.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Dunno like, I reckon our business could handle it and we're cut to the bone in terms of the number of people we have. Then again we cross train staff religiously to ensure that we're prepared for stuff like that, maybe other small businesses aren't as well organised.

If a business can't sort paternity cover out with several months notice how would they cope if the same bloke went on sudden sick leave? Can't cope don't have a business imo

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

There is something refreshing about a counter argument to austerity. Shame it wasn't made in the last election 

It's the most refreshing political stuff in years (IF THE FIGURES ADD UP).

If they do, he'll get my vote.

• Like 1

It's a decent manifesto in the main although goes too far on issues like education which just gives the Tories ammunition.

Problem still is the man who is delivering it. It's too late for him. People won't have faith in his ability to competently enact these pledges. 

A more evolutionary manifesto with the right man in charge with the full support of the PLP and labour would have had a chance. Now it's just a question of how much they will lose by, against feeble Tory opposition. 

28 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's a decent manifesto in the main although goes too far on issues like education which just gives the Tories ammunition.

Problem still is the man who is delivering it. It's too late for him. People won't have faith in his ability to competently enact these pledges. 

A more evolutionary manifesto with the right man in charge with the full support of the PLP and labour would have had a chance. Now it's just a question of how much they will lose by, against feeble Tory opposition. 

Remember this this is an election and Corbyn is now going to have 3-4 weeks doing what he likes best, campaigning. He's also now got a very popular set of policies to shout about. Add to that the heightened tv coverage of him selling this message.

where as the Tories (so far) only have a message which seems very dull in comparison.

2 weeks ago I would have bet my house on a Tory landslide. I wouldn't bet on it now.

i would urge everyone to watch Barry Gardiners interview on Newsnight last night. If the rest of Labour follow his lead they'll win this.

• Like 1

The press are being brutal over this. The Times, The Heil, The Torygraph, The Sun all coming out against the manifesto.

Another thing I don't get here - why? No one employed by those papers actually writing the content will be in the top 5% of earners. I appreciate they're paid to write utter bollocks as directed from on high, but they're actively undermining their own interests. At least the people reading what they write can claim to have been misled.

Edited by Rayvin

And £80k in London doesn't make you rich btw. Comfortable but not rich.

I think the top 5% paying more combined with no VAT or NI increases or tax rises for the poor, is spot on. A lot of Tory voters don't think that way though, the selfish twats.

Edited by Dr Gloom

They leave their own politics at the door and write in whatever direction their press baron owner directs them. It's ridiculous how much influence so few people have on so much of the public.