2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

It's the bizarro world.  Proven Keynesian policies are ridiculed and perpetually failing "trickle down" laissez-faire policies are trumpeted as the only serious option... even as debt and deficit spiral.

BBC report on the leak unquestioningly quotes Tories calling the policies a shambles, that will cause untold chaos, without justification.

Debt and deficit keeps countries weak. It's how the Bankers like it.

As employment dries up further they will introduce the universal allowance for all, which they have already trialed in a few countries.

The Swiss rejected it recently but in other places it will catch on.

Hunger Games innit.

Edited by Park Life

7 hours ago, Happy Face said:

It's the bizarro world.  Proven Keynesian policies are ridiculed and perpetually failing "trickle down" laissez-faire policies are trumpeted as the only serious option... even as debt and deficit spiral.

BBC report on the leak unquestioningly quotes Tories calling the policies a shambles, that will cause untold chaos, without justification.

This is how I see it too but people are simply not discerning enough to apply critical thinking about what they're told.

I'm not so sure. It all depends how the costing of it all holds up. Yesterday the IFS was fairly positive about the limited costings they had seen from Labour. 

If the costings hold hold up for the full package then I think the conservatives will be rightly very worried.

what the left now need to do is own this and sell it positively, not their usual angry negative tone.

Lots in there that working class Tories could support. ;)

All about costings now.

I've seen a figure of £36bn a year mentioned as the cost of providing free uni education.

Where the hell is that money going to come from and surely wouldn't it be better spent elsewhere?

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I've seen a figure of £36bn a year mentioned as the cost of providing free uni education.

Where the hell is that money going to come from and surely wouldn't it be better spent elsewhere?

BBC said £10-11 billion when interviewing Andrew Gwynne this morning. Said it will come from tax changes for the top 5% of earners.

Have to say I don't see this as a fundamental necessity at this point. Reduce it maybe, but it was perfectly affordable to go to Uni under the old Labour government. They should assist people from less well off backgrounds and maybe even increase the bar for that, but making it entirely free just doesn't seem like a fundamental here. And I suspect they could actually win all the same votes just by making it more affordable, rather than eliminating it entirely.

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

I'm not so sure. It all depends how the costing of it all holds up. Yesterday the IFS was fairly positive about the limited costings they had seen from Labour. 

If the costings hold hold up for the full package then I think the conservatives will be rightly very worried.

what the left now need to do is own this and sell it positively, not their usual angry negative tone.

Lots in there that working class Tories could support. ;)

All about costings now.

The Tories are going to eviscerate them through the media and through horrifying TV appearances where May pretends she knows how to smile. People simply won't care how well costed the policies are, or how much they'll help.

Labour winning at this point would have to go down as one of the most improbable election victories of all time.

I get that you're trying to make this more interesting :lol: but seriously, the landscape at the moment is the political equivalent of the SPL with the Tories as Celtic.

34 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The Tories are going to eviscerate them through the media and through horrifying TV appearances where May pretends she knows how to smile. People simply won't care how well costed the policies are, or how much they'll help.

Labour winning at this point would have to go down as one of the most improbable election victories of all time.

I get that you're trying to make this more interesting :lol: but seriously, the landscape at the moment is the political equivalent of the SPL with the Tories as Celtic.

Aye but Labour are like Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

nintchdbpict000001637271.jpg?strip=all&w

I was listening to Radio 4 this morning on the way into work.

Nick Robinson was in Halifax last night speaking to a few.  One said he was a Labour supporter yet due to their stance on Brexit he is voting Tory.  

Dont people realise if the Tories go for the full Brexit you can wave goodbye to minimum wages, working hours etc?

21 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Nick Robinson was in Halifax last night speaking to a few.  One said he was a Labour supporter yet due to their stance on Brexit he is voting Tory.  

Dont people realise if the Tories go for the full Brexit you can wave goodbye to minimum wages, working hours etc?

Thanks to the propaganda, people like that have no clue what the EU is and what the "good" things are. They think it's all about bananas. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

Thanks to the propaganda, people like that have no clue what the EU is and what the "good" things are. They think it's all about bananas. 

Aye same as the fishermen who are moaning about quotas.  Ok go ahead, you fish as much as you want and in 5 years time when they're gone and you're fucked what you gonna do?  Along with all the EU workers who are working in the factories who help you!

CUNTS!

Denmark, Norway, Finland, Germany, Swiss. No tuition fees for public Universities.

Social Democrats started it in Germany in 1976 and slowly started phasing them out over time using state money and grant systems for the less well off. I think there are a few states that still charge 500euro three times a year. Lower Saxony was the last one and that ended in 2015. Think there is a token fee in Holland of a few hundred a year but loads of Germans like to study in Holland so that must be pretty much free ifaik.

Having tuition fees for an advanced nation is ridiculous. Education should be free and accessed at any age.

Edited by Park Life
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Do they have tuition fees for overseas students?

Not in Germany I don't know about the others. Two degrees are free as long as they are connected it don't matter who you are or where you're from. Berlin is loaded with foreign students loads of British as you can even get courses taught in English.

https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/student-finance/how-much-does-it-cost-study-germany

http://www.studying-in-germany.org/

Edited by Park Life

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Do they have tuition fees for overseas students?

Legally they can't charge EU citizens. Same as in Scotland. They can charge others from the U.K. but it's free for students from other EU states.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Labour have been an absolute disaster in deciding and promoting their Brexit stance. Officially they are willing to follow through with Brexit but a lot of people aren't aware of that.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Legally they can't charge EU citizens. Same as in Scotland. They can charge others from the U.K. but it's free for students from other EU states.

Aye my partner went to Stirling and she mentioned the charges last night.

There are Americans and Australians studying for free in Germany apart from some admin costs 600 euro a year or summink.

Having people leave Uni with thousands of pounds of debt means they have to live at home, don't buy a car or a flat and spend little cash. That isn't good for the economy either. The Germans worked out that attracting a talent pool to their Uni from other countries would encourage them to stay in Germany after study and contribute to the economy. But Germany works on long term planning 10 and 20 year cycles not 3 year ones like in the UK.

''More than 4,600 US students are fully enrolled at Germany universities, an increase of 20% over three years. At the same time, the total student debt in the US has reached $1.3 trillion (£850 billion).

Each semester, Hunter pays a fee of €111 ($120) to the Technical University of Munich (TUM), one of the most highly regarded universities in Europe, to get his degree in physics.''

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32821678

Edited by Park Life

41 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Denmark, Norway, Finland, Germany, Swiss. No tuition fees for public Universities.

Social Democrats started it in Germany in 1976 and slowly started phasing them out over time using state money and grant systems for the less well off. I think there are a few states that still charge 500euro three times a year. Lower Saxony was the last one and that ended in 2015. Think there is a token fee in Holland of a few hundred a year but loads of Germans like to study in Holland so that must be pretty much free ifaik.

Having tuition fees for an advanced nation is ridiculous. Education should be free and accessed at any age.

Kill themselves loads though, so...