2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

The Tories are going to eviscerate them through the media and through horrifying TV appearances where May pretends she knows how to smile. People simply won't care how well costed the policies are, or how much they'll help.

Labour winning at this point would have to go down as one of the most improbable election victories of all time.

I get that you're trying to make this more interesting :lol: but seriously, the landscape at the moment is the political equivalent of the SPL with the Tories as Celtic.

This is one of those manifestos where they think they have zero chance of winning so chuck in all the goodies.

honestly, if the likes of the IFS and others don't destroy the figures AND labour get bullish about it, I think they'll do well.

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

This is one of those manifestos where they think they have zero chance of winning so chuck in all the goodies.

honestly, if the likes of the IFS and others don't destroy the figures AND labour get bullish about it, I think they'll do well.

Gideon ran up the public debt higher than anybody ever. So less of this Tories managing the books lark. ;)

Absolue cast iron vote winner from the Lib Dems - a pledge to take in an extra 50k refugees:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/11/tim-farron-lib-dems-pledge-uk-take-50000-more-syrian-refugees

Presumably Farron thinks that doing this will expose Labour (who surely can't turn around and agree to match this given the current political climate) and drive more lefties to his side. But ffs at £4.3bn it just sounds woefully out of touch.

2 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Taking in refugees a vote winner? :lol:

I suspect, given the sentences after the link, that our Rayvin is being sarcastic.

31 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Aka the sin tax

Tbf there should be eco taxes from all sides. It's probably the one tax that isn't a sure vote loser as it can be argued for easily.

Startingly, Labour's manifesto appears to be getting people excited...

Left wing populism finally on offer, it seems. This is what I hoped Corbyn would give us. Makes defeat no less inevitable, but the fact that these policies are even being floated causes an expansion of the discourse. The Tories will cling to their narrative about bankrupting the country, and Labour will stick to supporting the people. Exactly how it should be, for both sides. No more Labour pandering to the Tory line, at least for this election.

A straight fight between the best interests of the people, and the propaganda that keeps them from it :D

Tories scoff at the left wing policies that they say can't work, they say it'll take us back to the bad old days of 70s. But mail, power, rail, tuition fees etc were all privatised in the 90s and 2000s

They are the ones thayt want to go back to the 70s and a time when we weren't part of the common market.

Again, bizaro stuff.

Tories have shot themselves in the foot with the energy cap. An admission that privatising the energy companies is bad for consumers and government intervention is a must.  Goes back on their ideaology completely.

EDIT: But aye, as Rayvin says, they'll still win because Corbyn is beardy.

Edited by Happy Face
  • Like 1

Not forgetting the Tories have intervened repeatedly in the Energy utilities, banks and rail to save failing private scenarios. :D

The Tories are in a right old situation knowing that they do that the Globalists don't want the UK leaving the EU. Expect much magic and portents in the coming weeks.

Edited by Park Life

Listening to Barry Gardiner (Labour MP), who I quite like, he seems extremely confident that the costings they have finalised today will definitely stack up. Never quite seen him this excited.

I really think they've played a blinder here. Expect the polls to swing next week.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Listening to Barry Gardiner (Labour MP), who I quite like, he seems extremely confident that the costings they have finalised today will definitely stack up. Never quite seen him this excited.

I really think they've played a blinder here. Expect the polls to swing next week.

Said they would turn 2 weeks ago. The Tories are caught in a pincer movement. Globalists on one side and Mad red lentil scoffing hippies on the other. Rogue Tories breaking cover yet to come. Interesting times.

41 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

There is something refreshing about a counter argument to austerity. Shame it wasn't made in the last election 

:D I've been saying that for years.

Agreed but it doesn't actually help us make it a reality I suppose. Maybe if Brexit hadn't happened this would have been the moment and event that caught the country's mood.

30 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Said they would turn 2 weeks ago. The Tories are caught in a pincer movement. Globalists on one side and Mad red lentil scoffing hippies on the other. Rogue Tories breaking cover yet to come. Interesting times.

Can see what you're saying but it'd need to be one hell of a swing.