2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

the state of her fake laugh at the end man, tell me that didn't lift your spirits even slightly 

I just meant in general (no pun intended) but aye, it was very fake. Although the wider perception seems to be that May is the sensible, strong leader to lead us through these troubled times etc., etc. and that isn't going to change over the coming weeks. It's going to be cranked up whilst Farron and Corbyn have the piss ripped out of them. The UKIP leader will be ignored because he's irrelevant (Farage will get plenty coverage though, despite not contesting a seat) and Sturgeon will be portrayed as a wanting to disrupt the Brexit process for peronsal gain because that will damage Labour by association in England while boosting her image in Scotland because the Westminster-centric press / politicians don't care about Scotland anyway

I just meant in general (no pun intended) but aye, it was very fake. Although the wider perception seems to be that May is the sensible, strong leader to lead us through these troubled times etc., etc. and that isn't going to change over the coming weeks. It's going to be cranked up whilst Farron and Corbyn have the piss ripped out of them. The UKIP leader will be ignored because he's irrelevant (Farage will get plenty coverage though, despite not contesting a seat) and Sturgeon will be portrayed as a wanting to disrupt the Brexit process for peronsal gain because that will damage Labour by association in England while boosting her image in Scotland because the Westminster-centric press / politicians don't care about Scotland anyway

well yes, the whole situation is fucked, you don't need to convince me there :lol: 

There will either be a 7 year break from freedom of movement or FOM will continue with some minor tweaks. It will be said the single market is too important.....Too complex to unravel the legislation and partner agreements. That it will make the supply chain unworkable.

What makes you so certain that's the case? Given everything we're seeing about that idea not being on the table at all.

Because you can see how the Tories have retreated over the months.

First there was going to be no vote on the final deal then a few weeks later there will be a vote. That there was going to be no election then low there will be an election. May is a silent Brexiter and hired a team of loonies who have no clue into the negotiating team and made a lot of noises (for the public). They then started to realize what a cluster-fuck was coming and that they would have to own it and thus become undetectable while the UK was mired in various economic and banking crisis. Just a week or so ago at the G7 and before that the bankers told the Tories to roll this shit back...Then they decided to call the GE. The retreats will continue thick and fast. Europe doesn't actually want to lose London as the financial hub and London can't afford to lose the financial instruments and fees it gets from Euro loans and denominated business.

Edited by Park Life

retreated? there was talk of single market access during the campaign and that was dropped along with leaving the customs union. she's been pandering to the hard brexit backbenchers if anything. hopefully a bigger majority will go some way to softening her stance as the wild bunch won't be able to fuck things up as much

The extremely wealthy Hartlepool considering voting Tory, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/19/hartlepool-ponders-a-change-after-half-a-century-voting-labour

Makes sense given how affluent the area is and how much they've benefited from 10 years of Tory rule, the useless fucking incompetents.

“I’m going to vote Tory purely because I voted to leave,” said Simpson, a council worker and former Labour voter. “The people in government should abide by the decision the British people made – we voted to leave. There’s some Labour MPs trying to block us leaving. If the vote had gone the other way would they have blocked that too?”

This is a potential source of optimism though, because it suggests that Corbyn potentially is taking the right approach in not being seen to 'oppose' Brexit. Maybe he can reach out to people like this fuckwit.

The extremely wealthy Hartlepool considering voting Tory, apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/19/hartlepool-ponders-a-change-after-half-a-century-voting-labour

Makes sense given how affluent the area is and how much they've benefited from 10 years of Tory rule, the useless fucking incompetents.

“I’m going to vote Tory purely because I voted to leave,” said Simpson, a council worker and former Labour voter. “The people in government should abide by the decision the British people made – we voted to leave. There’s some Labour MPs trying to block us leaving. If the vote had gone the other way would they have blocked that too?”

This is a potential source of optimism though, because it suggests that Corbyn potentially is taking the right approach in not being seen to 'oppose' Brexit. Maybe he can reach out to people like this fuckwit.

Think you're hoping for more than that person is capable of tbh.

The danger facing the Labour party, as it prepares for a general election on June 8, can be clearly seen in Newcastle, whose three constituencies all voted for Britain’s opposition two years ago.

Kevin Wears and Lee Huitson, sitting on the tailgate of their painting and decorating van outside a fish and chip shop in the lunchtime sun, say they have changed their political colours. They express disdain for Labour’s 67-year-old leader, Jeremy Corbyn. “I’m a working-class lad and I’ve worked all my life, but I think the Conservatives need to stay in,” said 49-year-old Mr Wears.

"I don’t think Corbyn has anything going for him. Half the country will tell you that.” Mr Huitson agreed: “I don’t think many people will vote for them.” 

Labour has long been able to count on strong support in north-east England, where intergenerational family traditions of voting Labour and a once-firm conviction that it is the party of the working class have helped it to maintain electoral dominance. But in recent years, the falling turnout even at general elections has indicated how this historic link is weakening; in 2015, for example, Middlesbrough’s turnout was only 52.85 per cent.

Because of the historic size of Labour majorities, the party has mostly been able to retain parliamentary seats; the region currently has just three non-Labour MPs — all Tories, representing Berwick and Hexham in Northumberland and Stockton South in Teesside. Even though many voters in the region strongly support Brexit and are unimpressed with Mr Corbyn, the size of the Labour majority means the party will be difficult to dislodge. The Conservatives have a chance of gaining Middlesbrough South, East Cleveland and possibly Darlington.

https://www.ft.com/content/f1d5da40-2456-11e7-8691-d5f7e0cd0a16

Edited by Dr Gloom

Yeah, your post is self-defeating. Labour is officially supportive of the result of the referendum yet idiots like that are still going to vote for the Tories. 

I'm finding myself drifting to the Gemmill position here tbh. There's a not insignificant part of me that hopes the Tories win so resoundingly that they feel entirely able to obliterate these communities who seem to think that the EU is why they're miserable.

Fucking pillocks, to a man.