The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Anorthernsoul

we're going to need THAT striker with D. Murphy looking like he's leaving. Mitrovic being offered up for sale, young Armstrong out on loan we'll only be left with Gayle

4 minutes ago, trooper said:

we're going to need THAT striker with D. Murphy looking like he's leaving. Mitrovic being offered up for sale, young Armstrong out on loan we'll only be left with Gayle

Which should surely tell you that we are in fact looking to bring someone in, and that the constraint is selling what we have first. If we don't manage to sell Mitro, we won't replace him - but I'm still not convinced that's a huge problem.

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Which should surely tell you that we are in fact looking to bring someone in, and that the constraint is selling what we have first. If we don't manage to sell Mitro, we won't replace him - but I'm still not convinced that's a huge problem.

of course its a problem if we keep him he's not prolific enough in front of goal

5 minutes ago, Park Life said:

I'm making a note of all that keep saying we don't need a striker. See you in December. :D

I want one, I think we need one, but I'm not convinced we'll get one. 

How much will a 20 goal a season cost us? £40m? Can't see that happening.

55 minutes ago, The Fish said:

To be fair £6m is worth more to us now than a 15yr old kid who's not even started a reserve game (so I'm told). It's good to see the academy has produced someone of quality, but right now, this season, we would benefit more from the £6m than a teenager.

That's short term idiocy. 

And he's 17.

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I want one, I think we need one, but I'm not convinced we'll get one. 

How much will a 20 goal a season cost us? £40m? Can't see that happening.

They're going to have to pay the going rate because with out one we wont win many games. Making do with what we've got wont be enough.

Just now, ewerk said:

That's short term idiocy. 

And he's 17.

No it isn't. It's securing a long term future in the Premier League by selling a kid who hasn't featured in Benitez' plans at all, even though we were in the Championship. We need to survive this season, if we bounce back into the Championship we won't keep Rafa, and we'll get less in parachute payments. What's more likely to make a difference to our season, £6m or a teenaged defender that's never kicked a ball in a professional game?

He's still on a Youth contract meaning he can leave if he wants and we're just receiving a compensation fee. For all we know we've offered him a professional deal and he prefers to move to one of two clubs who have a history of bringing youth through and who're up the other end of the table. 

Just now, trooper said:

They're going to have to pay the going rate because with out one we wont win many games. Making do with what we've got wont be enough.

That's all well and good, but what if we can't? What if we can't spend £40m on one player?

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No it isn't. It's securing a long term future in the Premier League by selling a kid who hasn't featured in Benitez' plans at all, even though we were in the Championship. We need to survive this season, if we bounce back into the Championship we won't keep Rafa, and we'll get less in parachute payments. What's more likely to make a difference to our season, £6m or a teenaged defender that's never kicked a ball in a professional game?

He's still on a Youth contract meaning he can leave if he wants and we're just receiving a compensation fee. For all we know we've offered him a professional deal and he prefers to move to one of two clubs who have a history of bringing youth through and who're up the other end of the table. 

£6m is fuck all. It's an Atsu. If we go down it's highly unlikely to be over £6m. And how many 16 year olds featured in the Championship last year?

I'm not saying we should offer him £100k a week but I don't want to see the club losing a kid with great potential over penny pinching and minor short term rewards.

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's all well and good, but what if we can't? What if we can't spend £40m on one player?

Well we'll be goosed if we dont score goals we wont win games it's that simple 

Edited by trooper

38 minutes ago, Park Life said:

I'm making a note of all that keep saying we don't need a striker. See you in December. :D

Who is on that list?

1 hour ago, Park Life said:

It's not that we don't need a striker, it's this sense that we should just buy buy buy with reckless abandon and a total failure to acknowledge the realities of our situation. Don't we have too many players full stop? We need to shift some. If we can't, of course we're going to have to make do with what we've got.

To be perfectly honest though, I would have fancied the current team to avoid relegation from the prem last year. We'd have been in the thick of it, but I doubt we'd have gone down. We're still a better side than Brighton and Huddersfield, so we really only need to be better than one Prem team. We probably already are.

51 minutes ago, ewerk said:

£6m is fuck all. It's an Atsu. If we go down it's highly unlikely to be over £6m. And how many 16 year olds featured in the Championship last year?

I'm not saying we should offer him £100k a week but I don't want to see the club losing a kid with great potential over penny pinching and minor short term rewards.

I've no idea how good this kid is or will be, and I don't like the idea of losing good young prospects to other clubs. However, we won't be playing him this season, and we have to put survival above all other longer term concerns this year. We survive and we get the £100m from the tv money, we keep Benitez, we can attract a better standard of player, we can afford to put faith in younger prospects and we can take the cups more seriously.

£6m may not buy the player that secures safety, but it could mean we go for a £35m player rather than a £29m player, or it could pay the wages of the striker or the #10 we need. As a one off I've no problem with it, Southampton have done all right selling their youth...

51 minutes ago, trooper said:

Well we'll be goosed if we dont score goals we wont win games it's that simple 

If you don't concede, you don't lose, it's even simpler.