Other Games 18/19

23 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

New Zealand or Peru is the last match to be decided. 

Do we have any New Zealand or Peru NUFC fans here ?  Just in case I fancy a bet on the match :ph34r:

We used to have a poster called Paddington who came from Peru. Bit of a hairy cunt IIRC? You'll get it if he reads any anti Peruvian posts I tells ya!

18 hours ago, Ant said:

They were busy qualifying for tournaments not almost doing it :icon_lol:

tbh without McGrath, Baggio amongst others probably would've had a shot of getting that tally in a single game

Two things stick out about McGrath for me. One, a canny anecdote from an old workmate, 'a mag at work' I suppose. Two, 'big Ron' getting serenaded at SJP after the fifth goal had flew in with 'where's your drunken centre half?' as McGrath had allegedly blew the game on account of still being pissed the day of the game. :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

We used to have a poster called Paddington who came from Peru. Bit of a hairy cunt IIRC? You'll get it if he reads any anti Peruvian posts I tells ya!

Two things stick out about McGrath for me. One, a canny anecdote from an old workmate, 'a mag at work' I suppose. Two, 'big Ron' getting serenaded at SJP after the fifth goal had flew in with 'where's your drunken centre half?' as McGrath had allegedly blew the game on account of still being pissed the day of the game. :D

There's a bit in his autobiography (worth a read, if you haven't already) where he was stinking of drink from the night before and almost marked a peak-era Shearer out of the match (he was playing for Derby at the time).

Speaking of Merson and Gascoigne. That drinking game they used to play where they'd get four of them together, and they'd all put a wad of cash on the table. then drink red wine and pop sleeping tablets, last one to fall asleep wins the money :lol: 

25 minutes ago, Park Life said:

It was either to Lineakar (with wrist strapping) or Keegler and he scores. World Cup?

You on about Hoddle with the pass btw?

Anyway KK never scored in a World Cup and Lineker with the strapping was Mexico '86 but none of his 6 goals were scored that way if memory serves me.

Edited by Alex

28 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Did Owen not go to 06, drastically unfit and then do his cruciate/knee/whatever it was against Ecuador?

My mistake, he did it very early against Sweden which was England's second game. Some might say that Owen was never truly a Newcastle player...

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

You on about Hoddle with the pass btw?

Anyway KK never scored in a World Cup and Lineker with the strapping was Mexico '86 but none of his 6 goals were scored that way if memory serves me.

Yeah God as the Yids used to call him. If it was Keegler it would have been Euros.

21 hours ago, Ant said:

Same apply for suadi arabia and iraq aye?

Aye Ireland back then were lost without Houghton, we'll ignore McGrath, Bonner, Keane, Irwin, Aldridge, Staunton, who all had a either a bit of talent or medals from club level  ;) 

Didn't lose to them. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't relish traveling to Saudi or Iran (to play Iraq) to do anything.

Not getting results against Iceland, Mexico, Austria and Georgia are worse. That's before you consider a 5-1 defeat at home against Denmark. 

Think about it. :razz:

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Didn't lose to them. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't relish traveling to Saudi or Iran (to play Iraq) to do anything.

Not getting results against Iceland, Mexico, Austria and Georgia are worse. That's before you consider a 5-1 defeat at home against Denmark. 

Think about it. :razz:

I knew Iraq hadn't been playing at home but I hadn't realised a lot of their "home" games were in Iran. Fair to say times change, I reckon :lol: