Swansea vs Newcastle

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You have to look for positives after the transfer window we've just had. Very pleasing to see him being locked ahead of shelvey and looking more gran competent. We looked toothless without Voldemort in the starting 11 last season.

I agree he should be seen as a positive, as should Lejeune, Joselu and Manquillo so far.  I just think people set players up for a fall on the back of a couple of good performances.  I'm not knocking the lad at all, but for me a more cautious optimism is the way go.  Especially as I read from a Dortmund fan that he started well there but faded as the season went on.  Obviously he wasn't being played too much so I'm sure that would have been a big factor in that.

9 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I think it's just incredibly obvious that, if he's not one already, he'll be an incredibly classy midfielder in due time. It's not a case of form, it's a case of watching the kid play and you can see he's got every attribute you need to be a good central midfielder.

A lot of people thought the same of Vianna.  He does look very promising though and I can't understand why anyone wouldn't think he's an exciting prospect.

What gives me hope is that he looks very busy, happy to put the graft in. If he just looked like he can ping the ball around (like Shelvey), but wasn't working hard I'd expect him to fall away, rather than stay the course/improve.

He looks like he can operate in a pretty tight space as well from what I've seen, good close control, Shelvey always seems to struggle with a well executed press, think this lad seems better equipped for it so far.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

i wonder if we could play merino alongside shelvey, or whether we need someone with a bit more bite in there, like hayden, instead of two, erm, "registas" 

What about a 3 in midfield when we play the big teams? Hayden close to and protecting the back four, with Merino winning the ball in the centre and Shelvey a little further forward of him, aiming to release the wide men?

Against sides that look to bypass the midfield I think Merino’s ability in the air is very useful, and we’d likely be able to play him and Shelvey together?

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i wonder if we could play merino alongside shelvey, or whether we need someone with a bit more bite in there, like hayden, instead of two, erm, "registas" 

It might have been this thread where it was suggested they'd be a decent midfield 3 if we ditched the number 10 formation.

I think Shelvey and Merino alone would lack the bite offered by Hayden as you've mentioned.

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'd play the three of them and bomb perez, who is offering fuck all so far 

I'd like to try it as well but it would be a change of shape Rafa appears very reluctant to make, we're drilled in that 4231 both in defence (which wouldn't change so much with a 433) but the focus and style of attack would have to change quite a bit which would take a while to bed in.

Honestly, while we're picking up points reasonably well, I wouldn't change it too much.

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

or just keep the shape the same and move shelvey forward behind the strikerr

I don't think he'd be good there, its too tight and hes not a great dribbler, if he's too far forward he doesn't get to play those long diagonal balls hes best at playing.

Yes, I think you're probably right. I wouldn't mind seeing Ritchie in that role, anyone except Perez tbh. I'm amazed we didn't make that position a priority as we're clearly lacking there. 

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yes, I think you're probably right. I wouldn't mind seeing Ritchie in that role, anyone except Perez tbh. I'm amazed we didn't make that position a priority as we're clearly lacking there. 

I think we were trying to bring in a #10, but ultimately we were relying on Barnes and Charnley to get the job done.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Merino led the team in tackles attempted and won as well as intercepted passes against Swansea iirc. It's good to be in a position where we have actual options at CM for the first time in fucking yonks. 

I don't think Perez has been as bad as all of you tbh. He isn't and probably never will be a world beater but in the formation and way we play he grafts getting back into position and maintaining shape a lot which makes it difficult to then be supporting the striker. Could do with a better option but don't think he is an obvious weak link.

Just now, strawb said:

I don't think Perez has been as bad as all of you tbh. He isn't and probably never will be a world beater but in the formation and way we play he grafts getting back into position and maintaining shape a lot which makes it difficult to then be supporting the striker. Could do with a better option but don't think he is an obvious weak link.

someome has got to be the scaoegoat and Dummet is injured, so....