Swansea vs Newcastle

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Great result yesterday.  Can't imagine "Super Sunday" was particularly entertaining for the neutral but I'll happily take it.

The whole back four deserves a lot of credit especially when you consider how much they're getting changed every game it seems.  Manquillo has looked miles better than I expected him to.

We need to change Perez though, it's just not working.  Whilst I agree with the point PL is making about square pegs, I wouldn't be averse to seeing Ritchie or possibly even Murphy a try there.  It might work no better but we have very little to lose.  The same could be said with having a go with two strikers.  I think I would go with Shelvey playing in front of Hayden and Mernio, at least in away games.  It does run the risk of the striker (probably Joselu given how he's looked so far) getting isolated if the two wingers can't support him as I don't really think Shelvey could do that.  But is should give us a better chance of dominating the midfield and allow Shelvey to be further up the field and slide through chance creating passes.

Frustrating as I thought Perez was decent against West Ham. Needs to sort out his consistency. I'd still prefer him to Diame in that role though.

Or

Elliot

Manquillo          LeJuene   Clark       Gamez

Shelvey         Merino

Ritchie                                        Murphy

Lascalles (?)   

Joselu   

:huh:

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Frustrating as I thought Perez was decent against West Ham. Needs to sort out his consistency. I'd still prefer him to Diame in that role though.

I thought he was wank against West Ham for the most part and everyone else around me in the ground seemed to be saying the same thing.  The fact that he managed one good ball to Mitro didn't hide the fact that he fucked up a lot more.  His movement is very good but his delivery is awful.

7 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I thought he was wank against West Ham for the most part and everyone else around me in the ground seemed to be saying the same thing.  The fact that he managed one good ball to Mitro didn't hide the fact that he fucked up a lot more.  His movement is very good but his delivery is awful.

What?  Merino was boss in that game.  No offense but you and those sitting next to you need glasses.

25 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Makes his occasional successes all the more frustrating. The move that lead to the bad shot in the Swansea game was lovely, and it's the kind of thing he should be doing more of. Gambling that the ball will come. He does it in the box when played as a striker, but doesn't make the same kind of hopeful runs as a number 10. The kind of runs that players like Joselu and Mitrovic can flick onto.

Ritchie needs to stay out on the wing as he's one or if not our best player. Moving him inside would nullify the threat and hard work he brings to our right hand side. Murphy or Atsu I wouldn't mind trying there as Perez doesn't show anything of note and hasn't stood out in the countless starts he's had there.

Worth saying that Diamé was decent when he came on in his (obviously) preferred position.  Given the grief he usually gets from people (myself included).

Also fair play to Mawson for taking that Ritchie tackle like an actual footballer and not some mincing fucking ballerina.  And fair play to him for that miss, too.

On 9/10/2017 at 1:24 PM, Kid Dynamite said:

This whole Mane red card is getting on my tits. If you rake your studs down someones face at head height, leaving them bleeding and needing oxygen while stretchered off the pitch in a neck brace then of course its a fucking red card!

https://twitter.com/football_ie/status/906511488646565888

AawxoNl.jpg

The bin dippers are fuming again after this earlier.

If all of you want to invite Merino in to have a go at the missus after 5 games, you're welcome to, and as I said, I didn't see the second half v. West Ham. He was as shit as everyone else against Huddersfield and I don't care what any of you have to say to that, because it's true. Definitely made Sanches look a mug v. Swansea though, that was class. 

Forgive me for not wanking myself silly over him a month into the season. We've all been burned that way before and I'd like to see a bit more adventure and getting forward from him (without pathetic dives) before I get me fucking kegs dirty. 

54 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

If all of you want to invite Merino in to have a go at the missus after 5 games, you're welcome to, and as I said, I didn't see the second half v. West Ham. He was as shit as everyone else against Huddersfield and I don't care what any of you have to say to that, because it's true. Definitely made Sanches look a mug v. Swansea though, that was class. 

Forgive me for not wanking myself silly over him a month into the season. We've all been burned that way before and I'd like to see a bit more adventure and getting forward from him (without pathetic dives) before I get me fucking kegs dirty. 

:lol: I agree that he was poor against Hudds but I'd say it was early days for him at the club. I thought Merino and Hayden have done a very good job controlling the midfield in both the West Ham and Swansea games, I've been impressed with them both in the absence of Shelvey (which we have struggled to deal with in the past). 

I think the reason many have been quick to praise is due to the horrible ginger alternative. The fact that Merino has come in and looked at the very least competent (I personally think he has been impressive so far but I understand if you want more time before forming an opinion) means that tattooed ginger schnozzle is even further from the starting line up, for that alone I love him. 

P.s I wrote this while wanking (to my, and everyone else but yours, boy Mickey M)

Edited by Howay

9 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

Think it’s more a case of exceeding expectations than anything else to be honest. He looked shaky in his first full game, but has grown in confidence and influence. When his signing was announced I was certainly under the impression that he’d be a back-up for Shelvey or Hayden at best. As it stands, he’s been our best central midfielder thus far (imo, obvs) and I’m not sure I’d want to drop him to accommodate Shelvey. He still needs to improve his use of the ball and could do with cutting the diving out of his game, but those things aside he’s done very well despite being thrown in at the deep end thanks to Shelvey’s idiocy.

9 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

You seem too angry about this situation.

Good to see Merino stepping up and showing he's good enough. The prospect of a shelvey injury or suspension is no longer the crisis it was last season. We have three decent options now at centre mid. Still a concern that colback is fourth choice in that position. 

17 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Think it’s more a case of exceeding expectations than anything else to be honest. He looked shaky in his first full game, but has grown in confidence and influence. When his signing was announced I was certainly under the impression that he’d be a back-up for Shelvey or Hayden at best. As it stands, he’s been our best central midfielder thus far (imo, obvs) and I’m not sure I’d want to drop him to accommodate Shelvey. He still needs to improve his use of the ball and could do with cutting the diving out of his game, but those things aside he’s done very well despite being thrown in at the deep end thanks to Shelvey’s idiocy.

You know what, fuck that!

He needs to get better at it if he's going to do it but we never get a damn thing from refs anyway so I'm all for some more cheating/gamesmanship/cute play or whatever pundits call it when one of their favourites does it.

We need more of that shit, every fucker else does it, some of the best players in the world dive quite regularly, anything for an advantage.

In the same way as I think people got too excited about Lejeune after some good performances in the friendlies and half an hour against Spurs, I think they're getting too excited about Merino after two good games.  We've seen it all before where a player starts well and then fades really badly.  But I'm not going to knock either player's performances because of that.  Merino has been one of our best players in the last two games and looks very promising for the future.  Hopefully he can continue that, but lets not kid ourselves that he's done anything other than play well against two poor midfields at this stage.  It's not fair on the lad.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Good to see Merino stepping up and showing he's good enough. The prospect of a shelvey injury or suspension is no longer the crisis it was last season. We have three decent options now at centre mid. Still a concern that colback is fourth choice in that position. 

Colback is fifth choice behind Diame at best.  It actually looks like Saivet is ahead of him at the moment.

44 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

In the same way as I think people got too excited about Lejeune after some good performances in the friendlies and half an hour against Spurs, I think they're getting too excited about Merino after two good games.  We've seen it all before where a player starts well and then fades really badly.  But I'm not going to knock either player's performances because of that.  Merino has been one of our best players in the last two games and looks very promising for the future.  Hopefully he can continue that, but lets not kid ourselves that he's done anything other than play well against two poor midfields at this stage.  It's not fair on the lad.

You have to look for positives after the transfer window we've just had. Very pleasing to see him being picked ahead of shelvey and looking more than competent. We looked toothless without Voldemort in the starting 11 last season.

Edited by Dr Gloom