Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

On 05/04/2024 at 06:40, PaddockLad said:

Illuminating :cuppa:

IMG_4158.jpeg

That's a highly misleading and therefore rather useless list. Calling it 'Net spending' makes it sound like it's the total spending (on players), which it very fucking obviously isn't, and the accuracy of the numbers is likely pulled from publicly listed 'data' which is unfortunately bound to be wrong. A table showing actual net spending on players would be much more illuminating, that being the total cost to assemble all members

on the clubs books throught that period (including those who are loaned out) as well as the cost outlay for wages through that period although this would be even more susceptibility to inaccuracy. In that 10 years period for example Man Cities wages are in the vicinity of £1.7b whereas our wages are in the vicinity of £700m. So looking at wages combined with the above net transfers that puts Man City at £2.43b and us at £1.28b. Liverpool by comparison come bounding past us with conservative totals around £1.8b softened by them ripping off Barcelona selling Coutinho for over £100m. And this is not including facility and general operating costs which for us would have been absolute barebones through the Ashley years. As we know our spend is only so high because the starting point for our squad and our Youth system and training facilities are well behind the curve for the quality of team we are aiming to be.

• Like 1

Ok, old skool pannini sticker dudes. ASSEMBLE! 😀

Today in 1976 the greatest football strips in the history of football were released in a blizzard of publicity as illustrated below 😆

IMG_4190.thumb.jpeg.971460a58a80c67c5df2b9c1331314b2.jpeg

Name the 7 players, one went on to play for Newcastle, another went on to win the European cup :cuppa:

@Toonpack you’re banned from taking part due to you very likely being at school with at least one of them :) 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 3

Keeper is Alan Rough and a very young Kenny Dalglish is in the back there. Is that a pre-beard Danny Mcgrain in the white? I thought he was born with a beard. The two behind the one in the white look really familiar but I’m fucked if I can remember their names. It’s a shame you don’t see more Umbro kits any more 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Today in 1976 the greatest football strips in the history of football were released in a blizzard of publicity as illustrated below 😆

Name the 7 players, one went on to play for Newcastle, another went on to win the European cup :cuppa:

@Toonpack you’re banned from taking part due to you very likely being at school with at least one of them :) 

Only ones I know is Alan Rough, Kenny Dalglish, Danny McGrain and Willie Miller. The others look vaguely familiar but can't pin them?

43 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

never knew burt reynolds played footie 

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Well done Wykiki/google lens :good: 

One of the old sweats I used to work with was a Villa fan and he had a photo of him on his desk and wanked over the cunt all the time.

• Haha 4

Willie Miller, of course. He looks different. He must’ve been a kid there though. When I watched that documentary a little while back about Aberdeen winning the Cup Winners’ Cup, I’m sure it said he was one of (if not the) oldest in the team, despite only being in his late twenties. And that was nearly a decade after that photo*. Also, Danny McGrain was a guess. I don’t recall seeing him without a beard. I just thought it looked a bit like him (probably that is something to do with it actually being him :lol: ). He somehow looks older there without the beard than I remember him from Scotland / Celtic games in the early 80s. 

*edit: 7 years 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BobHopeandNoHope said:

John Brownlie, Des Bremner, Alan Rough, Kenny Dogleash is all I can get …if I’m right that is …Maybe Sandy Jardine at the front 🤔

It’s Danny McGrain at the front as someone else posted mate. Top marks for Brownlie though :good: hes the one that played for Newcastle. Des Bremner won the European Cup with Villa in 1982 :cuppa:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Two points. TERRIFYING! Who would DARE to breach PSR rules now?! 

Evidently that’s for the part of the charges they admitted, still something else under consideration.

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

It’s Danny McGrain at the front as someone else posted mate. Top marks for Brownlie though :good: hes the one that played for Newcastle. Des Bremner won the European Cup with Villa in 1982 :cuppa:

Cheers. Ah I missed the Danny McGrain comment 🙄