Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

i mean, howay. look at what he did - the bloke singlehandedly won a world cup for Argies, and took them close to a second, won Seria A twice for Napoli - all while playing on pudding pitches, with defenders kicking the shit out of him and while charged up off his tits. 

could handle himself too 

I mean I don't know how well he handled himself there, he just kept getting completely splattered. :lol:

He was game though. 

Nobody has ever won a World Cup single-handedly and that includes Maradona in 86. The side were decent and got better with each game. That is not to say he didn’t have a fantastic tournament but he had a quiet final (despite the assist for the winner). I just think it’s a disservice to his teammates to suggest he won it in his own. He was undoubtedly the player of the tournament but no more influential in the win than Rossi four years earlier. Personally I regard him as (comfortably) the second best player of the last century. I don’t even think there should be much debate over Pele being better. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Nobody has ever won a World Cup single-handedly and that includes Maradona in 86. The side were decent and got better with each game. That is not to say he didn’t have a fantastic tournament but he had a quiet final (despite the assist for the winner). I just think it’s a disservice to his teammates to suggest he won it in his own. He was undoubtedly the player of the tournament but no more influential in the win than Rossi four years earlier. Personally I regard him as (comfortably) the second best player of the last century. I don’t even think there should be much debate over Pele being better. 

i never saw pele play live, so i can't really compare them. i vividly remember watching maradona in 86 - even then, as a kid, it seemed like he was playing a different game to everyone else. 

would that argie team won it without him in 86? i doubt it. they really weren't that good in italia 90 and somehow he dragged them to the final. i'm convinced england would have won it had they got past ze germans. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i never saw pele play live, so i can't really compare them. i vividly remember watching maradona in 86 - even then, as a kid, it seemed like he was playing a different game to everyone else. 

would that argie team won it without him in 86? i doubt it. they really weren't that good in italia 90 and somehow he dragged them to the final. i'm convinced england would have won it had they got past ze germans. 

Different eras are difficult to compare too. He was undoubtedly the best player on the planet for a good few years in the 80s as well. For me the thing with Pele that sets him apart is he was the complete all round player. Two-footed and could do everything superbly well. I think him and Maradona are on a different plane to the rest so far as the twentieth century goes though 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Different eras are difficult to compare too. He was undoubtedly the best player on the planet for a good few years in the 80s as well. For me the thing with Pele that sets him apart is he was the complete all round player. Two-footed and could do everything superbly well. I think him and Maradona are on a different plane to the rest so far as the twentieth century goes though 

For their countries they are probably neck and neck - with Pele coming out on top, but overall Maradona has to go down as the better player for me.

Pele never tested himself at club level, and stayed where his record could get some padding/massaging - and even counted friendlies in his overall stats (which if you counted friendlies for Messi and the Portuguese rapist he'd probably be some distance behind them). Maradona at the very least tested himself (and the local marching powders) in different countries, and excelled. Pele stayed in Brazil and went to the states which sets him back for me as he never put his ability to the test at an actually good standard at club level.

Plus Maradona would have jawed him, all day, every day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Forest have their appeal rejected :lol: 

The twitter response from them should be exceptional.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

And yet Man City continue without any sanction whatsoever. The arbitrary nature in which they've issued points deductions, partially rescinded them in the case of Everton and then added more is utterly ridiculous. Irrespective of who you support, no-one should be comfortable with this shit-show. 

Everton have been handed a total of 12 deducted points this season. Luton are currently 11 points behind them and in the relegation places, if it finishes like that you can see Luton taking them to court. Utterly ridiculous.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

For their countries they are probably neck and neck - with Pele coming out on top, but overall Maradona has to go down as the better player for me.

Pele never tested himself at club level, and stayed where his record could get some padding/massaging - and even counted friendlies in his overall stats (which if you counted friendlies for Messi and the Portuguese rapist he'd probably be some distance behind them). Maradona at the very least tested himself (and the local marching powders) in different countries, and excelled. Pele stayed in Brazil and went to the states which sets him back for me as he never put his ability to the test at an actually good standard at club level.

That’s a complete myth tbh. The Brazilian league was arguably the best in the world at that time. Santos won back to back Copa Libertadores and Intercontinental Cups to help prove that. So he didn’t just excel in Brazil in he won four international trophies at club level. For context, Santos have won 8 in their history. He was the best player in the world when he was 17, scored fucking outrageous goals winning the World Cup at that age. 12 years later, he was past his best, after nearly a decade and a half of playing year round football and a ridiculous amount of games. But he was still the best player in the best international side ever. The NASL era was just a bit of retirement money tbh. Same for the likes of Cruyff and Beckenbauer. He could handle himself as well as Maradona could too. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

let's see how pele would get on if he was up all night sniffing coke and shagging prossies

He was bang into that too tbh. Wtf do you think he was doing in Studio 54? 

• Haha 3

It doesn't matter anyway, because both are second and third to Messi. Only people wearing the rose tinted spectacles that went out of fashion in the 70s and 80s would think otherwise :lol:

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Never tested himself outside of Spain tbh 

Tested himself in France, and finished his career stealing a living in America. Similar trajectory to Pele - only with an extra layer of complexity :lol:

Just now, Dazzler said:

Tested himself in France

Stop it! 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

It doesn't matter anyway, because both are second and third to Messi. Only people wearing the rose tinted spectacles that went out of fashion in the 70s and 80s would think otherwise :lol:

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

He was bang into that too tbh. Wtf do you think he was doing in Studio 54? 

diego would snort him under the table any day man :lol:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Nearly as funny as the name of the BBC journalist covering the story.

image.png.56871a5a127487b6d331a0e23f30f63c.png

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Craig said:

And yet Man City continue without any sanction whatsoever. The arbitrary nature in which they've issued points deductions, partially rescinded them in the case of Everton and then added more is utterly ridiculous. Irrespective of who you support, no-one should be comfortable with this shit-show. 

Everton have been handed a total of 12 deducted points this season. Luton are currently 11 points behind them and in the relegation places, if it finishes like that you can see Luton taking them to court. Utterly ridiculous.

Forest and Everton have 1 or 2 pretty straight forwards cases to answer for. Man City have over a hundred. @LondonBlue has posted about it before, but it seems that neither party are interested in a swift resolution and so that's why it's dragging on.

Adjacent to that is the ridiculous timing of the points deductions and reinstatements. This should have been wrapped up in the summer, or by that weird half winter break thing we had. That way the teams around them know what they need to do. If this happens again next season, you could very well get a scenario where some bureaucrats relegate the team who finished 17th after the 18th placed side wins their appeal the week after the season ends. It's bullshit.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Nearly as funny as the name of the BBC journalist covering the story.

image.png.56871a5a127487b6d331a0e23f30f63c.png

There’s a job(bie) for him at the SoL if it all goes to shit 

• Haha 2