World Cup 2018

Meenzer

11 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

The new rules state that deliberate fouls should still merit red cards even if the penalty is awarded. I think that qualified as a deliberate foul. Of course Jorgenson was trying to get the ball, but he launched himself recklessly into a tackle he had almost no chance of winning and I feel it was every bit as much a professional foul as Solskjaer's against Rob Lee, i.e. a desperate attempt to prevent a certain goal. Even more certain considering the keeper was already beaten in this case. Red card for me. 

He won the ball tbf. No way that's a red card 

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

Blatant foul/pen/red for me. Feel for Denmark who were excellent but felt justice was done

Agree with that, though I can absolutely see why he went for it, it was either a certain goal or a chance of a penalty save, I reckon Jorgenson would've taken the red and been ok with it if they'd gone through.

50 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Agree with that, though I can absolutely see why he went for it, it was either a certain goal or a chance of a penalty save, I reckon Jorgenson would've taken the red and been ok with it if they'd gone through.

Yeah, no issue with the player involved. It's what just about anybody would've done under the circumstances (and what you'd want them to do tbh)

Aye, totally agree with you both - it was a professional foul, a red and he was probably taking one for the team as we all would have.

24 minutes ago, strawb said:

Yet we all whinge about referees 

Aye :D I think there's been the odd occasion where VAR has spoiled the flow of the game a bit but on the whole that has been pretty good and the officials overall have been excellent. 

45 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye :D I think there's been the odd occasion where VAR has spoiled the flow of the game a bit but on the whole that has been pretty good and the officials overall have been excellent. 

I have to say, early in the tournament the shitshow really gave me pause about my support of VAR but it's steadily improved and at least for penalty decisions actually adds to the fun/tension of the game.

1 hour ago, adios said:

Aye, totally agree with you both - it was a professional foul, a red and he was probably taking one for the team as we all would have.

That's not a professional foul like, he got his toe to the ball though his legs. It was a penalty as he tackled from behind and caught the player with the follow through.

The laws about giving a red card changed 2 seasons ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

Of course it was a professional foul man.  The lad knew it as well, he just sat on the deck waiting for the ref to decide on his punishment.  He didn't even attempt to claim that he'd won the ball. 

If you get a toe on the ball after you've played the man it doesn't automatically mean you've attempted to play the ball in any case. He had little to no chance of playing the ball without first fouling the player who was about to tap it into an empty net. It's debateable because it's a matter of opinion as to what constitutes a genuine attempt to play the ball. I didn't know about the rule change though because that's not been mentioned before :P

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The laws about giving a red card changed 2 seasons ago

I know, we were discussing that earlier in the thread.

From your link:

However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.

But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.