Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Spoilers ffs! ;)

Read SDoBJ when it was serialised in the grauniad in the 90s. Was okay and of its time.

That's the setup.  Not the payoff.   :razz:

There's some actual feminists in the film as a b-story. Pussy riot types who get lampooned and abused by almost every character.  Only Darcy stands up for them and is literally shouted down on the matter.  It's about as feminist a statement as Kim Kardashian's arse.

Read something somewhere a while back about Hugh Grant not doing it because he thought the script was shit. Which made me think that it must be really shit.

Train To Busan.  Korean zombie film set (unsurprisingly) on a train to the city of Busan.  It has a few interesting new ideas for the genre and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gandhi.  I'd never seen it before and it was the perfect film while I was hungover and stuck on the settee yesterday.  It's clearly a very interesting story and Kingsley is great in the title role.

got cained and watched hot tub time machine over the weekend. i can't remember a film i've wanted to watch on the grounds of its name alone as much as this since snakes on a plane. it was beautifully ridiculous and made me lol on a few occasions. 6/10

Don't Breathe. There's not many decent horrors about these days and this is one of the better ones I've seen in a whole.

Been looking forward to this one.  Is there a decent download yet or did you actually pay for something?

Train To Busan.  Korean zombie film set (unsurprisingly) on a train to the city of Busan.  It has a few interesting new ideas for the genre and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gandhi.  I'd never seen it before and it was the perfect film while I was hungover and stuck on the settee yesterday.  It's clearly a very interesting story and Kingsley is great in the title role.

7.6 on imdb!  Will watch that before I read the second half of your review. ;)

Been looking forward to this one. Is there a decent download yet or did you actually pay for something?

It's on Exodus. Picture is spot on (bar a watermark that turns up now and again), sound is ok but there's hardly any dialogue in the film so it doesn't matter. I don't fuck with bad copies of things so it was plenty watchable.

Saw I Daniel Blake the other night.  It's very good and good to see that Geordies aren't made to all look like fuckwits for once.  It's a fucking depressing film though.  I watched Tyrannosaur the other week and that was positively light hearted in comparison.

I kept waiting for the bad bit which it builds to with trepidation. I thought it was going to be horrific, like Dancer in the Dark, but in the end it was just very sad. I was relieved the unfortunate event was as undramatic as it was.

Blair Witch Project.  I'd never got round to watching it before and I can see why now.  Pile of shite.  An hour and twenty of three people arguing with each other with no build up of fear and no scares at all.  If it wasn't for the different (at the time) way in which it was filmed, I can't imagine anyone would have ever watched it.

Blair Witch Project. I'd never got round to watching it before and I can see why now. Pile of shite. An hour and twenty of three people arguing with each other with no build up of fear and no scares at all. If it wasn't for the different (at the time) way in which it was filmed, I can't imagine anyone would have ever watched it.

I thought it was class at the time. Disagree its not suspenseful, novel camera work, decent acting, good ending imo. Possibly lost its impact in this desensitized age like. But a metascore of 81% suggests you're being harsh.

Yeah it was definitely good at the time. Seeing things like that and paranormal activity need to be viewed in a cinema full of twitchy shriekers to really got the full effect anyway.

Watch on a laptop or tv and you lose a lot of the immersion.

I was just bored.  I was expecting something, anything, to happen but it never did.  They interview some yokels (the most interesting bit), they go into the woods.  Hang on, I'd better not say any more or Gemmil will be all over me for spoilers.

The camera work was ok and yes it would have been interesting at the time and maybe it worked better at the cinema but honestly the only suspense was that I built up in my head that some point we would actually witness something happening.  

I must add that I'm not a horror fan at all.  I like Halloween, The Exorcist, The Omen, The Thing, A Nightmare On Elm street and Scream and that's about it because generally they're not very good.  So I don't watch many and I'm not desensitised to the scares, I just don't think there were (m)any.