Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Fistful of dollars and fistful of dynamite.

bit of a western theme tonight!

You legend Laz.

I watched The Outlaw Josey Wales when I went to kip last night, what a film.

Alien Resurrection

This year sees the 10 year anniversary of the last instalment of the Alien series, notwithstanding the horrific comic inspired AvP. I tried watching the theatrical version when it came out, but I recall being particularly galled by the aliens swimming, so I turned it off. To celebrate a decade without any more raping of a classic series I decided to give it another go, this time I went for the 2003 special edition, assuming it would be some kind of improvement, how wrong I was.

The most recognisable difference is the opening credits, where the 1997 version had a horribly erotic sequence of pulsating muscles and sopping orifices which perfectly encapsulated the overt sexuality of the Alien up to that point in the series (and suggested something better than what actually follows), it has been replaced by an introduction that perfectly sums up the problem with the rest of the film. It opens on a set of (clearly CGI) larger than life jaws intended to suggest an Alien's mouth, but the camera pulls out to reveal they're actually the miniscule mandibles of a fly, which is then squished by the driver of a space craft. It's introduced a tone of parody that pervades the whole film, a tone that excludes any possibility of fear or tension, but then it goes further. Not content with reducing one of the scariest film monsters of all time to an easily defeatable house pest, the man who squished it scoops up the guts, puts them into a straw and spits them onto a window. It’s a shot at gross out comedy that would be the least funny thing in an American Pie film; here it comes across even worse because it’s so out of context with what the previous trilogy attempts to convey.

In the trilogy up to that point there were comic moments, but they were always from the human characters. You didn’t have the Alien doing a routine where she pulls the ground from beneath peoples feet like a clown might pull the chair away from someone about to sit, as you do here. In the other three films we might have seen more and more of the Alien, but it’s always built up to in the finale. Shadows and sounds were used to build the tension until the big reveal, here we’re given plenty of Aliens from the get go, chatting on about how they’ll escape or pulling faces for the doctors and then doing a bit of back stroke as previously mentioned.

Jean Pierre Jeunet is one of my favourite directors. Delicatessen & City of Lost Children are awesome films with a visual flair that obviously got him this job. He went on to do Amelie which is possibly my favourite film ever. But what’s clear is that he wasn’t a fan of the series to start with and he has a whimsical nature not suited in any way to illicit fear. He’s given the new Alien a humanoid face and made it the ugliest thing since Andrew Lloyd Weber. The attraction of the Alien has always been how attractive it was, a beautiful monster, Jeunet’s version looks like Skeletor from the live action He-Man, and that just won’t do.

I’m a completist, I’d heard this was a terrible film, I’d even turned it off half way through previously, but I still felt the need to go back and have the full set. There were some things to enjoy, but if you don’t share my obsessive nature, I’d recommend watching either of the other three again and again rather than ever wasting your time with this.

Commando.

"I eat Green Berets for breakfast and right now I am VERY hungry!" :o

Best Arnie film ever.

Early on;

'I like you Sully. That's why I'm going to kill you last.'

Later on

'Hey Sully, you know how I said I was going to kill you last'

'That's right Matrix, you did,'

'I LIED.'

2001: A Space Odyssey

What a pile of pretentious horse manure, undoubtedly groundbreaking in terms of effects etc, but what a fucking turkey of a film, I was able to "watch" the majority of the film at speed thanks to SKY+ and missed nothing, due to the dire slow pace and lack of dialog.

What a pile of pretentious horse manure, undoubtedly groundbreaking in terms of effects etc, but what a fucking turkey of a film, I was able to "watch" the majority of the film at speed thanks to SKY+ and missed nothing, due to the dire slow pace and lack of dialog.

I think 99% of people feel the same the first time. As I did. Love it now though.

I think 99% of people feel the same the first time. As I did. Love it now though.

I'd agree with that. I couldn't stand it at first but when I watched it again recently (this time not expecting it to be something like Star Wars) I was mezmorised. It's a fantastic artistic achievement.

I quite like Alien Resurection although it is clearly the weakest in the series and from what I've seen the directors poorest film.

Amadeus - Fantasic film (it must have been to get me to sit through three hours of classical music and opera) only let down slightly by the ending being a bit of an anti climax.

Come on and rock me Amadeus!

I'd agree with that. I couldn't stand it at first but when I watched it again recently (this time not expecting it to be something like Star Wars) I was mezmorised. It's a fantastic artistic achievement.

Agree with that completely....felt totally cheated the first time round as you're just aching for a 'miss Jones' from Leonard Rossiter.

Once you've got that out of your system though you can enjoy it for what it is.....a work of visual dramatic art. Wonderful film.

Amadeus - Fantasic film (it must have been to get me to sit through three hours of classical music and opera) only let down slightly by the ending being a bit of an anti climax.

Aye, I was disapointed that wasn't in it like!

Ive still got a 7" copy of that. :o

Carlito's Way.

An absolute brilliant film I must say, hadn't seen it for ages.

Sean Penn is fantastic in it as well.