Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I've stuck 'Style Wars' on my Amazon list Fat Boy. I recently bought the book 'Subway Art' which I used to have as a bairn but lost at some point.

Nice one! Yeah, Subway Art is the "bible" of graffiti. You might also want to check out 'Spraycan Art'. Similar book by the same author but early graffiti from around the world...

Will do. Cheers.

Once Upon A Time In The West.

A true masterpiece, not my favourite Leone film, but it's definitely up there with the best.

Henry Fonda plays on of the most villainous characters of all time with such genius.

As per usual Morricone is spot on with his music as well.

Flags of our fathers - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418689/

Not as good as i was expecting.

Ive also got the 'companion' film to watch as well - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0498380/

Historically speaking he seems to have ignored the black soldiers of the USA quite badly too.

I was quite disapointed with it.

Half Nelson.

Slow moving but quite gripping. Ryan Gosling is superb. Well worth a watch. Not sure if it has a wide release though.

This.

Agree with everything except the slow moving thing, because I wouldn't want people to be put off.

Bit more exposition, it's about a history teacher with a drug problem who becomes freindly with one of his students and tries to keep her from going down the same path as her imprisoned brother. The history teacher part is important because it pushes the point of history as change, of learning lessons and avoiding repeated mistakes. What's excellent is that the kid actually has their head screwed on better than the teacher telling her this, he's constantly doomed to repeat his mistakes, but he still has an impact on these kids, so that they do learn, while he seems incapable of it. As a result it's not a moralising film about drugs being bad, more about people making bad choices.

Zodiac.

Didn't think it really matched up to Fincher's best work but it's still good. I wondered how how they would make it work since that killer was never found but the way it ends up, with them basically telling you who the police thought it was but without really going for that as being definitive, was well done.

The Thin Man.

Brilliant comedy/noir with a permanently pissed hero. The type of thing they just don't make any more.

The Science of Sleep

Directed/written by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). Story of Stephane (Gael García Bernal) who mixes real life with dreams. Very much like Eterenal Sunshine in the way it's surreal story telling, but not confusing. Very deep film with stop/start animation that makes you smile. If you liked Eternal Sunshine, you'll love this.

Having wathched it this weekend I have to say I disagree. I love Eternal Sunshine. One of my all time favourite films, Block Party was fantastic too, I even liked Human Nature somewhat but I felt hugely let down By SOS. Michel Gondry can't write films, he has superb visual ideas, but when given free reign he's written a film to cater to his visuals, rather than creating visuals to cater to his film. It was willfully eccentric in a way that I depise (zany student shite) and for the first hour at least I was bored senseless, the last half hour started introducing some story ideas that might have been interesting (his psychotic tendencies, her lack of interest/distaste for him) but there was such an indistinct line drawn between dreams and reality up top that point that there wasn't a character you could trust as giving their own real point of view.

The Science of Sleep

Directed/written by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). Story of Stephane (Gael García Bernal) who mixes real life with dreams. Very much like Eterenal Sunshine in the way it's surreal story telling, but not confusing. Very deep film with stop/start animation that makes you smile. If you liked Eternal Sunshine, you'll love this.

Having wathched it this weekend I have to say I disagree. I love Eternal Sunshine. One of my all time favourite films, Block Party was fantastic too, I even liked Human Nature somewhat but I felt hugely let down By SOS. Michel Gondry can't write films, he has superb visual ideas, but when given free reign he's written a film to cater to his visuals, rather than creating visuals to cater to his film. It was willfully eccentric in a way that I depise (zany student shite) and for the first hour at least I was bored senseless, the last half hour started introducing some story ideas that might have been interesting (his psychotic tendencies, her lack of interest/distaste for him) but there was such an indistinct line drawn between dreams and reality up top that point that there wasn't a character you could trust as giving their own real point of view.

Fair comment. I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine for a while, and maybe made the director link too great, but there were similarities... The point you made about there being an indistict line between dreams and reality became more and more blurred as the film went on, but that was the whole point of the film. For me, this type of film is one that you think about more when it's over, which I like. **spoiler** I also thought that the ending to the film was very clear that he was the only one in cuckoo land, which put a sad ending to the story. **spoiler end**

Edited by Fat Boy

This Is England.

Was really enjoying it until it ended rather abruptly. Felt like half a film. Great performance by Stephen Graham, hard to believe (both in terms of appearance and performance) he played Tommy in Snatch.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago (posted about it on here), and thought it suffered from being low-budget. It could have gone a lot further imo.

American Gangster - Another piece of quality from Denzel 9/10

Just downloading it now.

Although as it's a true story bit gutted I already know the story of Lucas.

Just downloading it now.

Best show I've seen for a while Jonito the bandito, you won't be dissapointed

Just downloading it now.

Best show I've seen for a while Jonito the bandito, you won't be dissapointed

Got it copy, spread the joy, might even bring Long way round and Hostel back for you.

This Is England.

Was really enjoying it until it ended rather abruptly. Felt like half a film. Great performance by Stephen Graham, hard to believe (both in terms of appearance and performance) he played Tommy in Snatch.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago (posted about it on here), and thought it suffered from being low-budget. It could have gone a lot further imo.

I don't see how a bigger budget would have changed things (unless they had to finish the film so abruptly because they literally ran out of money, which I doubt).

Mostly filmed in Nottingham apparently, in the charming* suburb of St Anns.

*Actually full of violent, gun-toting gangsters.

Saw.

Shite.

i liked the first one, just thought the sequals were fucking shite.

I wasn't overly keen on it.

Plus i hate all the gore and how it centres around irony most of the time.

I guess its not that bad a film. Just not for me