Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Flightplan. Awful. Just fucking awful.

Almost went to see that at the cinema when it was out, out of sheer desperation more than anything else. It sounds GREAT. :nono:

Seriously mate-if i'd had a gun, I probably wouldnt have shot myself, but I'd have at least pistol whipped myself to sleep.

See enough of that on your webcam tbs tbs.

:nono: Private show later , usual time, the password is "so it is", so it is. Will you be wanting the bag pipes this time?

See enough of that on your webcam tbs tbs.

:nono: Private show later , usual time, the password is "so it is", so it is. Will you be wanting the bag pipes this time?

:aye: No bagpipes = no show tbh.

Reminds me of an Irish lad I used to work with - brought his bagpipes to America with him ffs. Ginger, from cork, thick as mince. Used to play his bagpipes at an Irish pub on a Friday night. :puke:

Match Point last night, very enjoyable; becoming a bit of a fan of Allen's now, might try some of his early stuff again.

192303[/snapback]

I thought Match Point was just alright tbh. The lad in the main role was so wooden.

I love Allen's romanticised view of New York, but his London just bored the shit out of me. The lead's meant to be a working class Irish fella and he's talking like a Shakespearian toff (one lapse aside where he blurts out "woyk" and corrects himself unconvincingly). It was horrible to watch him. Nothing of interest happened for the first hour and a half, though an unintentional laugh was provided by the kiss in the rain, has Woody Allen really sunk to copying Four Weddings?

The last half hour picks up a bit, I loved the throwing of the ring, and the end was infinitely more satisfying than any of the build up. I suprised myself by having the patience to stick it out that long though.

I love Allen's romanticised view of New York, but his London just bored the shit out of me. The lead's meant to be a working class Irish fella and he's talking like a Shakespearian toff (one lapse aside where he blurts out "woyk" and corrects himself unconvincingly). It was horrible to watch him. Nothing of interest happened for the first hour and a half, though an unintentional laugh was provided by the kiss in the rain, has Woody Allen really sunk to copying Four Weddings?

The last half hour picks up a bit, I loved the throwing of the ring, and the end was infinitely more satisfying than any of the build up. I suprised myself by having the patience to stick it out that long though.

I don't remember that bit, but I'm having a hard time marrying it to anything other than a Boston/Brooklyn accent!

You've managed to stereotype to an extent that you've taken a genuinely working class Irish man, playing a genuinely working class Irish part and saying he's not believable. I'm not a big fan of Myers but I actually thought he did a particularly good job here, in a very difficult role. The man's a sociopath long before he makes it so obvious and the despicable characters are despicable.

Great film tbh.

I don't remember that bit, but I'm having a hard time marrying it to anything other than a Boston/Brooklyn accent!

I had the same problem. That's what was shit. It was while they were having dinner with the brother in law and Scarlett Johansen.

You've managed to stereotype to an extent that you've taken a genuinely working class Irish man, playing a genuinely working class Irish part and saying he's not believable. I'm not a big fan of Myers but I actually thought he did a particularly good job here, in a very difficult role. The man's a sociopath long before he makes it so obvious and the despicable characters are despicable.

Great film tbh.

I don't believe I've stereotyped at all. I think Allen did in his depiction of the English upper class though.

On the plane back I saw Brokeback Mountain which was good and Match Point which was very mediocre.

These are the 2 films I've watched this weekend, and I agree with you on both.

Despite some horrific tache work, Brokeback still managed to be very poignant. Films are rarely as good as the book, but when it's a short story there's a chance, and in this case the film probably surpasses it's source material.

Edited by Happy Face

Why do we always end up getting into scrapes about stereotypes when talking about movies? :lol:

I believe stereotypes are founded in truth, that may be our problem. It's amazing that two people with such a broad interest in films can disagree on basically every film.

I thought Brokeback was a pile of wank, so there you go. :D

Just to push the stereotype issue, Allen's depiction of it is very narrow and people like that most certainly exist (everywhere, in my experience), so how can you see it as a stereotyping of the entire aristocracy?

Edited by ObaGol

Why do we always end up getting into scrapes about stereotypes when talking about movies? :lol:

I believe stereotypes are founded in truth, that may be our problem. It's amazing that two people with such a broad interest in films can disagree on basically every film.

I thought Brokeback was a pile of wank, so there you go. :(

Just to push the stereotype issue, Allen's depiction of it is very narrow and people like that most certainly exist (everywhere, in my experience), so how can you see it as a stereotyping of the entire aristocracy?

:D You brought it up. I just said he was horrible to watch.

Absoloutley stereotypes are based on fact, but at no point did any of the secondary characters step outside of their stereotype to surprise me, while staying within character. A toff mother is always a lush who disapproves of foreigners and is trying to fix up her son to get himaway from an undesirable. A toff father is always a gun toting succesful businessman who puts family first. A young gentlemen toff is always a bit of a cad.

The least stereotypical character was the lead who played a working class Irishman as little lord fauntleroy. A very strange choice in my opinion.

:lol: You brought it up. I just said he was horrible to watch.

Absoloutley stereotypes are based on fact, but at no point did any of the secondary characters step outside of their stereotype to surprise me, while staying within character. A toff mother is always a lush who disapproves of foreigners and is trying to fix up her son to get himaway from an undesirable. A toff father is always a gun toting succesful businessman who puts family first. A young gentlemen toff is always a bit of a cad.

The least stereotypical character was the lead who played a working class Irishman as little lord fauntleroy. A very strange choice in my opinion.

What else do you expect from a Jew. :D

I finally got round to watching Dr Strangelove last night.

Peter Sellers, Slim Pickins, Sterling Hayden and particularly George C Scott are all excellent but overall I'm not sure what to make of it. I was expecting a laugh out loud comedy and aside from the presidents telephone conversations with the Russian premier and some bits with General Turgidson there wasn't much that I laughed out loud at.

The overall situation was certainly comedic but I the film seemed to generally play as a thriller.

Overall not as good as I was hoping but I think I might enjoy it more when I watch it again with revised expectations.

I watched Dr. Strangelove after we discussed it at length as part of my Economics degree re game theory. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be either.

TBH all of Kubrick's films apart from Spartacus (and I beleive Kirk Douglas virtually directed that) and The Killing have been disapointing to me.

I do like the first part of Full Metal Jacket like but it goes to shit a bit after him off Criminal Intent kills himself.

I watched Dr. Strangelove after we discussed it at length as part of my Economics degree re game theory. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be either.

TBH all of Kubrick's films apart from Spartacus (and I beleive Kirk Douglas virtually directed that) and The Killing have been disapointing to me.

I do like the first part of Full Metal Jacket like but it goes to shit a bit after him off Criminal Intent kills himself.

The ONLY dissappointing Kubrick films for me were Spartacus, Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut.

I can see why his reputation goes before him and people might go into each of his films expecting the earth to shatter due to the critical acclaim he receives. Even if that doesn't happen, his other films are some of the best I've ever seen.