Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Watched Pink Panther with Steve Martin last night.

Not bad.

I expected to be 'tutting' all the way through - it being a Sellars domain, but it was reasonably funny. Not side splitting, but funny.

Kudos to Martin for having the balls to attempt the near-impossible though.

Watched Pink Panther with Steve Martin last night.

Not bad.

I expected to be 'tutting' all the way through - it being a Sellars domain, but it was reasonably funny. Not side splitting, but funny.

Kudos to Martin for having the balls to attempt the near-impossible though.

Well excuse me for relying on several personal and media reviews to inform me whether I want to see it or not. :woosh:

Btw, the implicit link with Iraq and 9/11 made by the film has been commented on by lots of people since our discussion, and your argument for its inclusion is still weak as watery piss. <_<

Come on Rentboy, you were commenting on the film, not the fact that you didn't want to see it.

At least it's my watery piss though eh?

:)

I was commenting on reviews of the film, I never claimed to have seen it.

And shut it Alex!

Right!

So these quoptes aren't yours?

the implicit link with Iraq and 9/11 made by the film

Stone clearly seems to be suggesting Iraq and 9/11 were linked

"implicit" and "clearly" aren't the words to use in your postion, "alleged" and "apparently" I could live with.

Well excuse me for relying on several personal and media reviews to inform me whether I want to see it or not. :good:

Btw, the implicit link with Iraq and 9/11 made by the film has been commented on by lots of people since our discussion, and your argument for its inclusion is still weak as watery piss. <_<

Come on Rentboy, you were commenting on the film, not the fact that you didn't want to see it.

At least it's my watery piss though eh?

:)

I was commenting on reviews of the film, I never claimed to have seen it.

And shut it Alex!

Right!

So these quoptes aren't yours?

the implicit link with Iraq and 9/11 made by the film

Stone clearly seems to be suggesting Iraq and 9/11 were linked

"implicit" and "clearly" aren't the words to use in your postion, "alleged" and "apparently" I could live with.

Oh ffs, you don't even deny the "alleged" link! Use selective quotes all you like, you'll not find one where I claimed to see the film. I'm not going to see it just to argue with you btw. :woosh:

It's a bit scary and irresponsible seen as large sections of the American public will think it's factual. Much like they did with JFK ffs! <_<

Yep, we went through this while you were away. Oh and HF, he does make the link, you didn't deny it before.

It's a bit scary and irresponsible seen as large sections of the American public will think it's factual. Much like they did with JFK ffs! <_<

Yep, we went through this while you were away. Oh and HF, he does make the link, you didn't deny it before.

Clearly?

Clearly?

Clearly implicitly.

JFK's not 100% factual, but Oswald was a patsy. FACT!

Oswald did it and acted alone I reckon. But I'm not going over this one again so don't go all Bluf on me <_<

Except for that post where I did...

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...st&p=209570

No, you don't deny it, you just say it wasn't explicit, which is a matter of opinion anyway. Implicit or explicit though, he made the link, which given the current political climate in the States is irresponsible imo.

No, you don't deny it, you just say it wasn't explicit, which is a matter of opinion anyway. Implicit or explicit though, he made the link, which given the current political climate in the States is irresponsible imo.

He makes no link whatsoever between the attack of 9/11 and the government of Iraq. He shows a character who helped save these blokes and states that after that he served two tours in Iraq which is a fact.

Some extremely stupid and ignorant individual could think to themselves "ah, so it was Iraq that crashed planes into the building, I was waiting for the film to tell me who the bad guys were because I was lost without that information"

A simpleton might think "yes, I've read something or other about this so called 'war on terror' If George Bush later sent his soldiers to Iraq, then by golly they must've been involved."

Someone of average American intelligence might have thought "What led to this man being sent to Iraq? I wonder why the film didn't explore that some more? Perhaps out of respect for the subject matter"

Are you saying filmmakers should avoid making the film they want in case it's misconstrued by dafties?

Edited by Happy Face

Christ.

He makes no link whatsoever between the attack of 9/11 and the government of Iraq. He shows a character who helped save these blokes and states that after that he served two tours in Iraq which is a fact

Some extremely stupid and ignorant individual could think to themselves "ah, so it was Iraq that crashed planes into the building, I was waiting for the film to tell me who the bad guys were because I was lost without that information"

A simpleton might think "yes, I've read something or other about this so called 'war on terror' If George Bush later sent his soldiers to Iraq, then by golly they must've been involved."

Someone of average American intelligence might have thought "What led to this man being sent to Iraq? I wonder why the film didn't explore that some more? Perhaps out of respect for the subject matter"

Are you saying filmmakers should avoid making the film they want in case it's misconstrued by dafties?

Bollocks HF. Correct me if I'm wrong but the guy is seeking revenge, next thing he is in Iraq. The implication is obvious, and has been pointed out by several reviewers and people I know who have seen it (who aren't idiots btw). The republicans are delighted by the inference.

Mind, you have already defended the lies in JFK because you say Stone was only quoting what real people had said apparently (whilst recommending I read a book to fully understand it). The fact that those people were liars of course is not significant, Stone is only faithfully cataloguing what was really said. :) Result? Most American's believe it was some sort of conspiracy, based on false evidence.

Bollocks HF. Correct me if I'm wrong but the guy is seeking revenge, next thing he is in Iraq. The implication is obvious, and has been pointed out by several reviewers and people I know who have seen it (who aren't idiots btw). The republicans are delighted by the inference.

Mind, you have already defended the lies in JFK because you say Stone was only quoting what real people had said apparently (whilst recommending I read a book to fully understand it). The fact that those people were liars of course is not significant, Stone is only faithfully cataloguing what was really said. <_< Result? Most American's believe it was some sort of conspiracy, based on false evidence.

For every review that says the implication is made, I can show you one that says such a suggestion is nonsense, Sight and Sound for example, this month point out that the bloke who goes to Iraq is played as a barnpot throughout. Anyone fully sympathising with him and going along with his quest for revenge would be odd, he’s creepy in a Travis Bickle kind of way. Although Travis Bickle does a good thing his core beliefs are out of whack.

I never suggested you didn’t fully understand. You suggested Stone makes these films with wild unsubstantiated claims and no consideration whatsoever for the result. I refuted this by pointing out how much shit he gets for making the films he wants to and how much he cares. So much so, that he later has to go over every point in the screenplay to explain the point being made, it’s source and why he felt it warranted inclusion. He doesn’t take this stuff lightly. I’ve not read it so I can’t say how successful he is at defending himself, but he’s not being irresponsible and is not reticent about continually discussing his work and it’s interpretations.

Your last statement "Result?...", is that a result of Stone's film or is JFK a result of what many Americans already believed? He might perpetuate the myth, but the majority of people believe something rotten went on and as long as the government keep files confidential for the sake of "National Security" it's good that people like Stone remind us that whatever the facts, we have a right to see that information sooner or later.

Watched 'Salvador' again in Greece of all places the other night complete with off-putting subtitles. Love that film and James Woods is a class actor.

Goodbye and good luck. Interesting film abouth the McCarthy witch hunts with some fine acting. Nothing much happens in it though.

On Friday night I watched the Player on the box. Forgot how superb it was, if you haven't seen it make sure you do.