Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Latest figures 2 days ago showed 6,874 admissions to hospital with Covid 19. With 957 in ventilation beds. If we get a significant surge as is predicted then I'd imagine  these numbers will go up significantly 

6 minutes ago, trooper said:

Latest figures 2 days ago showed 6,874 admissions to hospital with Covid 19. With 957 in ventilation beds. If we get a significant surge as is predicted then I'd imagine  these numbers will go up significantly 

still plenty of capacity in the system. remember we were at around 60k admissions per day at the start of the second wave. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

still plenty of capacity in the system. remember we were at around 60k admissions per day at the start of the second wave. 

We were never anywhere near that man. You must be thinking of overall bed occupancy. But don't forget, the NHS has no slack, every bed taken stops another person being treated for another condition. And it doesn't take much to get over a threshold where no other treatments, bar emergency, are possible. 

As for what else can we do? We know we need 93% of the total population vaccinated for herd immunity, we are nowhere near that. We need to start vaccinating kids like almost every other country, Why aren't we? 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

We were never anywhere near that man. You must be thinking of overall bed occupancy. But don't forget, the NHS has no slack, every bed taken stops another person being treated for another condition. And it doesn't take much to get over a threshold where no other treatments, bar emergency, are possible. 

As for what else can we do? We know we need 93% of the total population vaccinated for herd immunity, we are nowhere near that. We need to start vaccinating kids like almost every other country, Why aren't we? 

i meant daily cases, not hospital admissions 

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I hope your right & we don't see those figures. But music festivals,  football stadiums & the return to school will inevitably drive these numbers up. Also remember the lag they always talk about. We've only had the stadiums back open a couple of weeks. I think you've got confused with hospital admissions as the highest daily infection figure was back in January at 68k+

you're right, it's shit. there is a massive backlog of people waiting for treatment for other illnesses. but this is where we're at. as long as hospital admissions are at a manageable level we will continue to shrug our shoulders as the death count continues to rise. i agree about vaccinating kids fwiw

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Well we're not far short of that now are we, and have been for weeks. 

yeah, and it hasn't translated to a big spike in hospital admissions because of the vaccine. 

This was from a couple of days ago.

COVID-19: Almost 5,000 coronavirus cases investigated after Cornwall music and surf festival

The COVID-19 outbreak linked to the Boardmasters event comes as Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly recorded the second highest rate of coronavirus cases in England in the week to 19 August.

I thought at these large outdoor events you had to prove you were either fully vaccinated or had a negative test ? Has anyone been to a match or outdoor  music event, what was it like getting in were any checks made ?

Edited by trooper

38 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Trooper and Renton facing off for the title of Toontastic's Grimmest Reaper. 

Not really, I'm happy to take my chances now, but I'm not stupid enough to think its going to be life as normal, particularly regards to the wider healthcare situation. Anyway, how has underplaying the pandemic (remember last autumn when you said there would be no second wave cos of some Irish guy) helped?

My main personal  concern at the moment is getting a negative PCR test at Jersey airport on Saturday; if I test positive because some knacker on the metro doesn't want to wear a mask, I'll not be happy. Just don't see the need for that level of selfishness. 

Mrs T just takes me out for a run in the car a couple of times a week. We do click & collect shopping & try & be careful. We're both double jabbed & try to avoid the knacker that coughed & spluttered over Renton. 

5 hours ago, Renton said:

Not really, I'm happy to take my chances now, but I'm not stupid enough to think its going to be life as normal, particularly regards to the wider healthcare situation. Anyway, how has underplaying the pandemic (remember last autumn when you said there would be no second wave cos of some Irish guy) helped?

My main personal  concern at the moment is getting a negative PCR test at Jersey airport on Saturday; if I test positive because some knacker on the metro doesn't want to wear a mask, I'll not be happy. Just don't see the need for that level of selfishness. 

I wouldnt worry too much about being asymptomatic, a man of your size would be a shoo in for a ventilator 

11 hours ago, trooper said:

This was from a couple of days ago.

COVID-19: Almost 5,000 coronavirus cases investigated after Cornwall music and surf festival

The COVID-19 outbreak linked to the Boardmasters event comes as Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly recorded the second highest rate of coronavirus cases in England in the week to 19 August.

I thought at these large outdoor events you had to prove you were either fully vaccinated or had a negative test ? Has anyone been to a match or outdoor  music event, what was it like getting in were any checks made ?

I’m going to a music festival in a couple of weeks, I’ll let you know 

I imagine the outbreak in Cornwall came not from people attending the festival but increased numbers congregating in pubs or public transport, given there is no evidence the virus transmits in outdoor spaces 

We clipped the 1000 cases mark in a single day for the first time ever earlier in the week. The penny has dropped in our most populous states that the future is vaccinations and not covid 0. We're starting to see the recommentations for age to be vaccinated dropping first to 16 and now to 12. I wonder how low it will go. There's still several other states running the covid 0 mantra but at some stage in the near future they'll need to reset that or else risk being cut off from the rest of the world. NSW where the vast majority of cases are have even set some dates for students to start coming back to school (from October) which roughly lines up with their expectation for 70% of the adult population being fully vaccinated.

I've finally had my first shot (been booked in for months from as soon as I was eligible), sore arm and a mild headache so far. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OTF said:

We clipped the 1000 cases mark in a single day for the first time ever earlier in the week. The penny has dropped in our most populous states that the future is vaccinations and not covid 0. We're starting to see the recommentations for age to be vaccinated dropping first to 16 and now to 12. I wonder how low it will go. There's still several other states running the covid 0 mantra but at some stage in the near future they'll need to reset that or else risk being cut off from the rest of the world. NSW where the vast majority of cases are have even set some dates for students to start coming back to school (from October) which roughly lines up with their expectation for 70% of the adult population being fully vaccinated.

I've finally had my first shot (been booked in for months from as soon as I was eligible), sore arm and a mild headache so far. 

So even Oz are vaccinating older kids, along with the US, France, Germany, Canada, and probably many others, and yet we aren't. Why does the UK always have to be an outlier in these things, hasn't worked well so far? Our rates are steadily rising as are hospitalisations and deaths, and autumn is around the corner when the kids go back. You don't have to be a genius to work out what will happen. But as discussed earlier, it's just normal here now, and its difficult to understand what the threshold is now to what is not normal. Cases are irrelevant, we are near 40,000 a day. I don't think people care about admissions, although clearly this is the metric most important to the NHS. Deaths, I dunno. 100 a day is clearly fine. Will 300 be? Good chance we will find out.   

Hundreds of people test positive for COVID-19 after attending Bloodstock festival

The festival took place between 11 and 15 August in Derbyshire.

Public health officials confirmed about 500 people from across the country had "attended the festival prior to testing positive".

So even Oz are vaccinating older kids, along with the US, France, Germany, Canada, and probably many others, and yet we aren't. Why does the UK always have to be an outlier in these things, hasn't worked well so far? Our rates are steadily rising as are hospitalisations and deaths, and autumn is around the corner when the kids go back. You don't have to be a genius to work out what will happen. But as discussed earlier, it's just normal here now, and its difficult to understand what the threshold is now to what is not normal. Cases are irrelevant, we are near 40,000 a day. I don't think people care about admissions, although clearly this is the metric most important to the NHS. Deaths, I dunno. 100 a day is clearly fine. Will 300 be? Good chance we will find out.   

Scotland already back at school and daily cases soaring. Next 4 weeks or so should be ‘great’ once that effect kicks on for the rest of the UK 

In the hands of the JVCI (Mostly university geniuses), I would much rather wait for their assurances before letting my youngest get vaccinated.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

In the hands of the JVCI (Mostly university geniuses), I would much rather wait for their assurances before letting my youngest get vaccinated.

Our geniuses are no better than foreign geniuses. The safety of the vaccines is pretty well established in the over 12s. MHRA, EMA, FDA, have all cleared Pfizer and some other mRNA vaccines for this age group. Safety therefore isn't an issue. Admittedly the incremental benefits for kids is low, although actually probably not as low as you might think given the insane prevalence rate here and the unknown risk of long covid in kids. But, you know, well maybe not you so much, but there is a concept of societal good in trying to achieve herd immunity or at least try and bring the rates down. Then there's the effects of the virus on shutting schools and wrecking education. It's a no brainer. Which is why the government (whose decision it ultimately is) have yet again fucked up. They'll u-turn too late as usual. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Our geniuses are no better than foreign geniuses. The safety of the vaccines is pretty well established in the over 12s. MHRA, EMA, FDA, have all cleared Pfizer and some other mRNA vaccines for this age group. Safety therefore isn't an issue. Admittedly the incremental benefits for kids is low, although actually probably not as low as you might think given the insane prevalence rate here and the unknown risk of long covid in kids. But, you know, well maybe not you so much, but there is a concept of societal good in trying to achieve herd immunity or at least try and bring the rates down. Then there's the effects of the virus on shutting schools and wrecking education. It's a no brainer. Which is why the government (whose decision it ultimately is) have yet again fucked up. They'll u-turn too late as usual. 

Are you suggesting the government should bypass the JVCI?