Steve's Survivors v. Slaven's Sloggers

OTF

18 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Bruce is a terrible manager. He hasn’t done anything in his career to suggest otherwise. Rafa Benitez has. But this isn’t about Rafa - he did about as well as anyone could while he was nufc manager, given the constraints. Bruce doesn’t need to be compared to Rafa to make him look shit. 

This is it for me, Bruce's defenders love to bring up Benitez, because it paints us as unreasonable. Purely looking at how Bruce's Newcastle has performed over the last two season shows a team that can't defend or attack well, that doesn't hold onto the ball, nor put in much effort to get it back.

Bruce has arguably the best squad since our relegation in 2016. He inherited a top half defence, and a top class 'keeper. Yes he 'lost' Rondon and Perez, but built upon that solid defence could have been a counter attack side with the pace of Almiron, Saint-Maximin and the passing range possessed by Shelvey, and to a lesser degree Schar, Lejeune, S.Longstaff etc. Now he's got an actual fit-for-purpose striker, more options on the flanks and yet we're still a nothing side.  We're still too easy to play through, still too easy to defend against, still don't keep or press the ball and still too often aimless during games. That's all on him and something we've seen reported of his teams at previous clubs.

But Edwards and his ilk told us we were unreasonable to greet his announcement with groans and negativity. Now we're supposed to be happy that we are a shit PL side that's one game away from a cup semi-final. 

On that, how fucking lucky has he been with the draws? Rochdale, Oxford, WBA in the FA Cup last season and Blackburn, Morecambe, Newport, and Brentford in the EFL Cup this time around. Safe bet that the minute we're drawn against a Premier League side we'll go out.

• Like 5

It’s definitely the best squad since relegation: options in defence and midfield and a proper premier league centre forward, at last. A decent coach would have this squad challenging the top 8. Our current league position flatters us and I think we will end up around 13th-15th again. We have rarely out in convincing performances this season: West Ham and a burnley are the only two I can think of, off the top of my head. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s definitely the best squad since relegation: options in defence and midfield and a proper premier league centre forward, at last. A decent coach would have this squad challenging the top 8. Our current league position flatters us and I think we will end up around 13th-15th again. We have rarely out in convincing performances this season: West Ham and a burnley are the only two I can think of, off the top of my head. 

Basically whenever the opposition doesn't press. Give our team a bit of time on the ball and they've the individual ability to punish you. Be that Shelvey's passing, or ASM/Almiron's directness. Still think we're crying out for a Cabaye-like player, and for all his Hollywood passes, Shelvey ain't that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Says a lot when the league is so poor/competitive this year that he technically is getting us challenging for

the top 8 :lol: 

Someone on twitter (I can't remember who) said this season is similar to 2015/16 because how badly the traditional 'big' clubs are doing and asked if a dark-horse could win it. Could Mourinho shithouse Spurs to the title?

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

This is it for me, Bruce's defenders love to bring up Benitez, because it paints us as unreasonable. Purely looking at how Bruce's Newcastle has performed over the last two season shows a team that can't defend or attack well, that doesn't hold onto the ball, nor put in much effort to get it back.

Bruce has arguably the best squad since our relegation in 2016. He inherited a top half defence, and a top class 'keeper. Yes he 'lost' Rondon and Perez, but built upon that solid defence could have been a counter attack side with the pace of Almiron, Saint-Maximin and the passing range possessed by Shelvey, and to a lesser degree Schar, Lejeune, S.Longstaff etc. Now he's got an actual fit-for-purpose striker, more options on the flanks and yet we're still a nothing side.  We're still too easy to play through, still too easy to defend against, still don't keep or press the ball and still too often aimless during games. That's all on him and something we've seen reported of his teams at previous clubs.

But Edwards and his ilk told us we were unreasonable to greet his announcement with groans and negativity. Now we're supposed to be happy that we are a shit PL side that's one game away from a cup semi-final. 

On that, how fucking lucky has he been with the draws? Rochdale, Oxford, WBA in the FA Cup last season and Blackburn, Morecambe, Newport, and Brentford in the EFL Cup this time around. Safe bet that the minute we're drawn against a Premier League side we'll go out.

Excellent post 👍

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’ll be amazed if Allardyce can do anything with that lot. Even with his special contact book of mercenaries coming through the door next month.

I don’t know. He just needs to do the trick he pulled at Sunderland, ie being the best out of an absolutely shite bottom 4, before fucking off and leaving them with a load of parasites. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3