Tony Blair’s knighthood

Asprilla

It only matters if you attach any importance to honours. Blair fits in well with a lot of the other utter cunts enobled over the past centuries but honestly, why would anyone give a fuck? They're fuckin worthless due to those who suggest the recipients and those who in some cases have bought and paid for them 

Danny Boyle (a genius in my book) turned a gong down after London 2012. He said he didn't think he was better than anyone else. That's precisely where I sit. I'm no better than the next person. But I am  better person than Prince fuckin Andrew, which sort of illustrates the point...

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 3

Started the privatisation of the NHS and committed the worst crime of the last hundred years and he’s admired?

Maybe it’s not so surprising that I’m not getting along with most of you… :lol: 

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It only matters if you attach any importance to honours. Blair fits in well with a lot of the other utter cunts enobled over the past centuries but honestly, why would anyone give a fuck? They're fuckin worthless due to those who suggest the recipients and those who in some cases have bought and paid for them 

Danny Boyle (a genius in my book) turned a gong down after London 2012. He said he didn't think he was better than anyone else. That's precisely where I sit. I'm no better than the next person. But I am  better person than Prince fuckin Andrew, which sort of illustrates the point...

I wouldn’t accept one either (I’d like to think so, anyway)

i don’t wish to abolish the monarchy though. The faff of electing some nightmare every four years is worse than wheeling out a horsey posh figurehead when needed

4 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

the worst crime of the last hundred years

I feel as if I'm falling for some kind of Godwin's Law boobytrap by even going near this one, but... :lol: 

• Haha 4

Just now, Gemmill said:

You've also put on record your admiration for Thatcher iirc? :razz:

IT'S NOT ME, IT'S YOU! 

No I haven’t, I just agree with her point about society. 👍🏼

she sold far too many national assets for my liking

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The New Statesman did a decent podcast about him over Christmas. The general feeling is he did a lot of good things but then Iraq...

You could say the same about Jimmy Savile to be fair

1 hour ago, Asprilla said:

No I haven’t, I just agree with her point about society. 👍🏼

she sold far too many national assets for my liking

She also created the internal market of the NHS, not Blair. Anybody living in this country witnessed massive investment in the NHS and education under Blair. He was a pragmatist, that level of increased service required private involvement, simple as that. I say this from 20 years service in the NHS and my extended family being heavy users of it. 

NJS is an idealist in this regard I think,  who'd presumably prefer poorer service provision to keep the NHS "pure". 

I don't forgive him for Iraq but doubt any Conservative administration would have done different.

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

She also created the internal market of the NHS, not Blair. Anybody living in this country witnessed massive investment in the NHS and education under Blair. He was a pragmatist, that level of increased service required private involvement, simple as that. I say this from 20 years service in the NHS and my extended family being heavy users of it. 

NJS is an idealist in this regard I think,  who'd presumably prefer poorer service provision to keep the NHS "pure". 

I don't forgive him for Iraq but doubt any Conservative administration would have done different.

I believe it was a war crime. Utterly pointless and catastrophic in terms of lives lost.

With hindsight it’s hard to see any political benefit either of joining the war. Obama certainly didn’t appear to feel obliged to treat Britain with any gratitude, Trump possibly did and now Biden doesn’t.

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

Not purity, just think private money with a cost has no place in public services. The investment was fine but should have been funded differently. 

I'd like to see a comparison of the long term costs of pfi versus public borrowing. 

• Like 1