SEASON-DEFINING MUST-WIN 6-POINTER (nufc v watford match thread)

Dr Gloom

I wasn’t looking forward to the Leeds game before this one, now I’m definitely not… and I thought we’d walk this (not literally like much of our team mind). 

2 minutes ago, NUUUUIIIICASEL said:

Were going to need big Sam at this rate, maybe even Neil Warnock next season - YOU'VE GOT TO DIE TO GET 3 POINTS

Still 201 games in the third division marra, and not much prospect of getting out of it. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, NUUUUIIIICASEL said:

Were going to need big Sam at this rate, maybe even Neil Warnock next season - YOU'VE GOT TO DIE TO GET 3 POINTS

:lol:

What about 10-man Accrington equalising at the death, eh? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NUUUUIIIICASEL said:

Were going to need big Sam at this rate, maybe even Neil Warnock next season - YOU'VE GOT TO DIE TO GET 3 POINTS. FTM, MLF, MFI, SCS, BHS, etc, etc

Alreet, marra. 

• Haha 1

I think these lads need to remember that Wigan, the best team in that shit league, have 5 games in hand on Sunderland and are only 3 points behind. If they’re struggling, winning all five of those games would leave them just the 12 points ahead.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Haha 1

Disappointed by the result. We were decent until we scored, after which we just sat back and invited pressure :(.

My Player Ratings:

Dubravka - 6. Made one important save, ok in commanding his area but no clean sheet so no 7.

Trippier - 6. Solid defensively but him and Lascelles were caught a couple of times with through balls which allowed Denis in. Offered some kind of attacking threat down the right with Fraser.

Lascelles - 4. Some missed aerial duels and needs to be stronger vs Pedro. Can see why we want Diego Carlos as his yard of pace can cover at the back.

Schar - 6. Solid enough. He distributed the ball better than Lascelles but no team clean sheet.

Dummett - 6 - Much better defensively than Richie but grew tired as game went on and was lunging a lot. Should have done better to prevent cross at the end.

Fraser - 5. Was good first half and put some decent balls in. Again after we scored faded and offered little help to Trippier.

Shelvey - 5. Not a defensive midfielder. Offers zero protection to back 4 and doesn't have the physical stats to boss the midfield so relies on slide tackles. Early booking meant he was even less effective. Passing was ok but lack of movement upfront meant he couldn't unlock the opposition.

Longstaff - 4. Absent for long periods. Doesn't help the defence nor the attack. Not sure what he offers.

Joelinton - 7. Best player for Newcastle. Broke up the play a lot and bossed Sissoko. Unlucky not to score but that's also his biggest problem. Carries the ball 20-30 yards but then can't pass or shoot. If only he could add goals or assists to his game ...

Saint Maximin - 6. Mixed performance. Gave the ball away a lot, at least 6 times, probably more. Was in the right back's pocket for most of the game but he has that bit of magic which we need. Could have helped Dummett out more, but Joelinton did a good job to cover for him (Longstaff should have being doing the same down the right). He needs to work on his crossing/ goal creating and develop his left foot because he's pretty easy to stop crosses/ passes against.

Wood - 5. He tried but didn't offer as good an outlet as say Rondon did for us. To be fair the Watford lads are all huge so it was a struggle. Not much in the way of chances but its also clear to see why he only scored 3 goals this season. 

Howe - 5. Set up was fine, and we were the better team the first half but they always looked dangerous on the counter. Disappointing that he just made us sit back and invite pressure after our goal. Especially after Watford missed a few good chances.

I don't think its all doom and gloom but we are in serious trouble. We need at least one DM and one CB before Leeds. And then some creativity in midfield or the wing. This is the bare minimum, we could also do with another goal threat and a LB who can go forward. That's 3 to 5 players before the window closes. 

I also think we should try and use our two loans to get £40m+ players for 6 months with an option to buy but include a loan fee that is a quarter of the buy price. That way if we go down, these expensive players aren't on our books but also we can see if they work in the PL. This is oppose to getting someone like Van der Beek who although a class player is not what we need. 

Norwich winning today is not a bad result as it drags Everton into the mix. If we can beat Leeds that will be 6 teams in the mix which gives us a better chance of survival. I know, we only have a chance against Leeds with a few new reinforcements but maybe a silver lining is we are forced to try and push a few deals through.

• Like 3

Just now, 247 said:

Should have just paid for a new CB a week ago

Aye watching Lascelles repeatedly give up possession and then looking like he's running on the spot as King streaks away ffs. 

Longstaff as well. Absolutely lifting. 

Just hand the fucking cash over for Botman and Carlos this week and answer the phone the next time Man United ring offering us Van de Beek. 

And max out your loan signings as well. Drastic, massive and immediate change is required. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm absolutely sick of the sight of most of our players, it's not even that they're mercenaries it's just they're so fucking bad even when they try. 

That’s it, come into the fold. Where the very mention of an Isaac Hayden Instagram post full of bullshit platitudes is enough to send you into a rage 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

How far off do people think Howe is from having to worry about his job btw? I'm not saying I think he should be in trouble, cos I think it's really hard to know how much more is feasible from this rancid group of players. 

Things like giving Longstaff the full match today though. I mean wtf is he watching? Willock at least has fucking legs. 

• Like 1

I think Willock didn’t get on because of his attitude and general performance against Cambridge tbh. It was appalling.

As for Howe, I reckon there’s probably an understanding and school of thought that says he needs some actually quality with him before he’s judged properly. I think it’s fair to say that these players are beyond help 

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 2