Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

And theyll probably pay the money they want

I don't know if transfer fees are going to calm down to a more reasonable level in the near future, but if that is the case I'd far rather we were patient than max our FFP on players who's fees are being inflated by 10, 15, even 20m in Gibbs-White's case. Buying players for the sake of it or, again, paying way other the odds surely isn't the way to conduct our business. Now if these fees are a reality that's here to say, that's another conversion. Then again if enough clubs put their foot down on having to pay ridiculous fees for mere potential in the form of young players who've barely played, then perhaps that will have a positive effect on lowering prices for such players. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Well I hope he likes relegation battles cos that's what he'll get at Southampton. 

Hassenhoople is supposedly persona non grata with many of his players as well, so if I'm a player with any sense I'd be staying far away from Southampton at the minute. Southampton are supposedly in for Hudson-Odoi on loan as well. 

• Like 1

Chicken nonce reckons we're most interested in Pulisic out of the Chelsea players. Firstly because he's a good player, but also because he would bring us into the US market in the hopes of sponsorship revenue etc, given he's the USA teams leading light. I suppose it makes sense, but it could just be Edwards speculating. 

He said: “Pulisic is interesting for them, because obviously, it opens up the USA market. They’re a new club looking for new commercial revenue streams. The interest from the States would obviously increase in a club like Newcastle, and I think he’s a really good player. And again, he’s the sort of player that they need – a wide forward who can score goals.

“I would put Newcastle in pole position to get one of them. We just have to wait and see which one it is. But I think Pulisic – I think that’s the one to really keep an eye on.”

It's one of those things where if it works out, like the Botman transfer, the club will be hailed as smart operators. And if we end up getting noone, or at least noone rated highly, we come off as a bit of a joke to the players we've touted the project to considering other smaller clubs have been splashing the cash. Which makes me think come the end of the transfer window, the club will sanction at least one or two deals even if they're over 'budget'. 

Edited by aimaad22

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

IMO this will be a goer.  

Considering today's market and what we paid for Wood, we shouldnt feel ripped off by $30M. Hopefully now this is just a case of negotiating how the deal is structured, upfront payments, add ons etc rather than haggling on the overall fee. 

1 minute ago, aimaad22 said:

Considering today's market and what we paid for Wood, we shouldnt feel ripped off by $30M. Hopefully now this is just a case of negotiating how the deal is structured, upfront payments, add ons etc rather than haggling on the overall fee. 

Yeh I think this is more promising than most 

It should be remembered that we still have until end of day 1st of September to get deals done. Clubs minds become much more focused on coming and goings in the last week of a window. We signed Targett, Burn and Guimaraes in the last few days of the January window. Watford are also likely identifying and lining up replacements for Pedro should they decide to sell, so that could considerably slow down proceedings.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

Give Mehrdad the credit card again he seemed to be able to get deals done 

Would you mind providing some irrefutable evidence of where 'Mehrdad is getting the deals done' ? :smile:

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season