Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

19 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

ASM IMO Didn't improve one bit under Howe I would go as far as saying he regressed. What the reasons for that I don't know.  Some suggested last season he was tired and warn out.  IMO it's because his big teddy bear Brewcie fucked off and someone came in and said you do things by his rules or fuck off.

He didn't regress, he's just not Plan A anymore so he's not on the ball as much as he was. Also, other teams are more accustomed to combatting his particular brand of attack. They know his decision making and crossing aren't great so they'll double-up to force him out wide and make sure any supporting Newcastle player has a man on him. That way if the defender wins the ball he's got the chance to a passing triangle immediately. 

If ASM's crossing was better that tactic would potentially leave the opposition short in the centre, I'd hope Howe and the coaches have been working on his decision making as that, for me, is easier to improve than his crossing. 

Personally I don't understand the eagerness to sell our biggest attacking talent. Especially as he's not drawing the attention of the big spenders. If We were fielding calls from BArcelona, Man City, or whomever, then sure, sell him for a massive profit and replace him in the aggregate. As it stands though, we'd not get what he's worth to the team, so what's the point? 

If it's because he's frustrating, well, I'd suggest taking a step back and realise that we can't yet sign a hard working, skillfull, clever left winger. Especially as there are bigger holes to fill in the team. Like Right wing, attacking midfield, centre-forward.

Whilst I’m a bit on the fence about him as a player CL/title-chasing clubs like Chelsea and Spurs can fuck right off if they think they’re going to get one of our players on the cheap. 

• Like 2

Aye, I agree he didn't regress, but he's certainly plateaued whilst others around him significantly improved. 

It'll be interesting to see what type of ASM hits the ground in a fortnight's time. I don't subscribe to the 'biggest attacking talent' fan club and I wouldn't be that bothered if we do cash in on him.  He has the ability to turn a game, but in the time Howe has been manager it has seldom happened. To me he seems keen to take the same player on 2-3 times, trip over his own feet and then try to claim he's been fouled - taking significantly longer than it should to return to his feet whilst in the meantime the opposition are pressing up the field. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure the Spurs link can be true. They've got Son and Kane who play on the left/through the middle and they've just bought Richarlison who likes to play on the left/through the middle. 

Not sure what adding another to the pile does. Unless they plan to play him on the right. 

53 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He didn't regress, he's just not Plan A anymore so he's not on the ball as much as he was. Also, other teams are more accustomed to combatting his particular brand of attack. They know his decision making and crossing aren't great so they'll double-up to force him out wide and make sure any supporting Newcastle player has a man on him. That way if the defender wins the ball he's got the chance to a passing triangle immediately. 

If ASM's crossing was better that tactic would potentially leave the opposition short in the centre, I'd hope Howe and the coaches have been working on his decision making as that, for me, is easier to improve than his crossing. 

Personally I don't understand the eagerness to sell our biggest attacking talent. Especially as he's not drawing the attention of the big spenders. If We were fielding calls from BArcelona, Man City, or whomever, then sure, sell him for a massive profit and replace him in the aggregate. As it stands though, we'd not get what he's worth to the team, so what's the point? 

If it's because he's frustrating, well, I'd suggest taking a step back and realise that we can't yet sign a hard working, skillfull, clever left winger. Especially as there are bigger holes to fill in the team. Like Right wing, attacking midfield, centre-forward.

So you say he's our biggest attacking talent, just after saying his decision making and crossing isn't great.

Season bodes well then.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm not sure the Spurs link can be true. They've got Son and Kane who play on the left/through the middle and they've just bought Richarlison who likes to play on the left/through the middle. 

Not sure what adding another to the pile does. Unless they plan to play him on the right. 

They've also got Kulusevski for another year too.

The Newcastle United Blog | Newcastle Make Initial Approach For Leicester City Target - Report - The Newcastle United Blog (nufcblog.com)

Another name to add to the pile. Some kid who's recently turned 21 called Diop. He can play multiple attacking positions apparently, and would cost around 20m with Monaco eager to raise funds. 

You throw enough shit at the wall some of it will stick, and what else is this thread for other than collecting all the rumours that may eventually turn out to be true in the odd case. 

Here you go Gemmill, it comes from an actual real conversation, although there is some assumptions being made on my part 😉

Lyon's head of recruitment was asked about Paqueta's future after saying that the Lyon squad needs trimming, and his response that they were prepared for every eventuality. You would presume he would have just said Paqueta wasn't for sale if he wasn't one of the players they're looking to possibly trim. 

33 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

So you say he's our biggest attacking talent, just after saying his decision making and crossing isn't great.

Season bodes well then.

Despite the fact that his crossing isn't great and his decision making isn't great, he remained, without a doubt, our biggest attacking threat. 

Below is squad with more than ten 90 minutes under their belt for us. He's 1st for assists + 2nd for Assists per 90, 2nd for goals + 3rd for Goals per 90. 1st for non penalty xG, xA and xA per 90.

Bruno is next and if he continues his form from the 2nd half of the season I'd expect him to surpass ASM. Wilson too, if he stays fit for a substantial number of games. 

But look at the next best attacker we've got; Ryan Fraser. 

I mean, set aside the fact that crossing isn't the only way for widemen to create chances, and that decision making may very well improve when he's playing alongside better players. Where once he'd see Murphy clean through and not pass, now he'll see Bruno, or Wilson, or (fingers crossed) Diaby/Paqueta/Barnes etc. He'll be more inclined to pass the ball because he knows it's more likely to come off. 

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Since Eddie Frank Howe took over, ASM scored two and assisted two.  He really needs to pull his socks up IMO.

Since Howe took over, we've changed the style of play. By that I mean we have a style of play. Rather than "Get the ball to Maxi" we apply a controlled press, look to break, but use the middle of the park to control the ball WAY more than we did under Bruce. Because the ball is in the middle more, we're no longer giving the ball to ASM 3oyds from our goal and hoping he pulls something magic from his arse. 

If we were a team looking to break into the top 4, then we should peddle him because his work rate and inconsistency would hinder that ambition. But as it stands, we're looking to consolidate in the top half of the Premier League. For that we need his mercurial talent and can forgive his occasional brain farts. Just as we should have done with Ben Arfa. 

It seems, Newcastle United fans have a real fucking thing about French wingers. Ginola, Robert, Ben Arfa, and now ASM. Despite them all being some of the most talented, most exciting, most fun to watch footballers we've had at the club.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Since Howe took over, we've changed the style of play. By that I mean we have a style of play. Rather than "Get the ball to Maxi" we apply a controlled press, look to break, but use the middle of the park to control the ball WAY more than we did under Bruce. Because the ball is in the middle more, we're no longer giving the ball to ASM 3oyds from our goal and hoping he pulls something magic from his arse. 

If we were a team looking to break into the top 4, then we should peddle him because his work rate and inconsistency would hinder that ambition. But as it stands, we're looking to consolidate in the top half of the Premier League. For that we need his mercurial talent and can forgive his occasional brain farts. Just as we should have done with Ben Arfa. 

It seems, Newcastle United fans have a real fucking thing about French wingers. Ginola, Robert, Ben Arfa, and now ASM. Despite them all being some of the most talented, most exciting, most fun to watch footballers we've had at the club.

the frustrating thing with ASM is he has the ability to be a top player. I don't think any of the players you mentioned had more skill than him on the ball. he needs to sort out what's going between the ears in order to do that though. he's got one more season for me.  we're a club going places and it's up to him if he wants to come along for the ride. all he needs to do is figure out the basics because the stuff he's got can't be taught. if he serves up another season like the last one, i think we'll sell him in the summer. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the frustrating thing with ASM is he has the ability to be a top player. I don't think any of the players you mentioned had more skill than him on the ball. he needs to sort out what's going between the ears in order to do that though. he's got one more season for me.  we're a club going places and it's up to him if he wants to come along for the ride. all he needs to do is figure out the basics because the stuff he's got can't be taught. if he serves up another season like the last one, i think we'll sell him in the summer. 

100% agree. 

If he doesn't quickly realise his place in the new Newcastle, he'll be off to Spain or back to France quicker than his feet can move. 

If he could, somehow, download a bit of Solano into his brain, he'd be unreal. Nobby is, for me, the benchmark for unselfish wingers.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Polarboy is the king of the unsubstantiated transfer rumour. ;)

If it's on the internet, it's getting posted on here. 

I bloody love an unsubstantiated rumour. It’s what this thread is all about!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Craig you're gonna have to get out of bed earlier than this to beat Polarboy to the "prepared for every eventuality" exclusive. 

SEEN IT. BANKED IT. MOVED ON. 

You're supposed to have me on ignore, ya lying shit for brains. :smile:

• Haha 4

We have changed the way we play.  I.e we have a plan.  Correctly as Fish says.  I get that.  So;

Ryan Fraser since Howe took over improved massively and also has the same goals and assists as ASM despite missing a chunk when he got injured to the latter end.  

What I find frustrating is, players like Jonjo, Joe, Fraser et al have all improved.  Look hungry and up for it.  ASM.  Nah.  Why?  Is it a mentality thing or was he genuinely injured?  I want him to succeed, but IMO he is gone at the end of the season after throwing his toys out of the pram.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

We have changed the way we play.  I.e we have a plan.  Correctly as Fish says.  I get that.  So;

Ryan Fraser since Howe took over improved massively and also has the same goals and assists as ASM despite missing a chunk when he got injured to the latter end.  

What I find frustrating is, players like Jonjo, Joe, Fraser et al have all improved.  Look hungry and up for it.  ASM.  Nah.  Why?  Is it a mentality thing or was he genuinely injured?  I want him to succeed, but IMO he is gone at the end of the season after throwing his toys out of the pram.

Fraser has improved, I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's improved 'massively' and even after this 'massive' improvement, he's still not as good as ASM. ASM has more goals than Fraser and more assists. 

I think the issue isn't his actual performance, or actual application. I think it's your perception of him that's the problem.

I also don't, for a fucking second, think you want him to succeed. 

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Fraser has improved, I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's improved 'massively' and even after this 'massive' improvement, he's still not as good as ASM. ASM has more goals than Fraser and more assists. 

I think the issue isn't his actual performance, or actual application. I think it's your perception of him that's the problem.

I also don't, for a fucking second, think you want him to succeed. 

Fraser's attitude pre Howe was appalling. As tbf a lot of the player were.  He like a lot of players have responded to Howe.  ASM hasnt.  Technically ASM is miles ahead.  But in terms of work rate and working for the team it's not even comparable,

ASM has also played a lot more football and yet only has 3 more goals and 3 more asists than Fraser.  Wow, I am shocked Real or PSG aren't lining up for him.  He's one trick pony that clubs have quickly found out how to play against.  Yet he's deluded and thinks he's gonna take over from Ronaldo, Messi etc.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season