Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

Not saying it’s a likely scenario but if you did sell ASM for £50m (just plucked that number out my arse btw) then you get the benefit of all that cash this year (in terms of FFP) but anyone coming in has their fee / wages spread across the duration of their contract. So it could be seen as a way to increase our ability to spend this year. Pure speculation re:plans to sell him but I would think we’ve got a lot more than £30m to spend. I’m going off the Football Rambler, who I assume is a bit more clued up than Luke Edwards on that score. In his blog he quoted some ridiculous figure we could spend and still not fall foul of FFP, because of the frugal years under Ashley. Obviously that would impact subsequent seasons but it suggests a fair bit of wriggle room if the right player is available and wanting to come 

Im not talking about FFP btw. Im taking about the figure a number of different journalists have been briefed on (apart from Edwards).

I imagine the club have a longitudinal plan for multiple transfer windows, taking into account ages and contract lengths of the current squad. I'm sure we CAN spend an extra £100mil this window if we need to, but given we have no squad places free atm, and are well stocked in CM, I think it's highly unlikely that we are going to bring another expensive one in

Edited by Kid Dynamite

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Aye, so do I.

Ben Jacobs reckons we could go in for Paqueta. And Howe said something himself last week about strengthening other areas of the squad if the right player becomes available and we don’t get the players we want in those two positions. 

Tbh, I reckon I have about as much of a clue as you, or anyone else, as to who we will end up. Not much of one, in other words. No one saw Bruno coming last window. It came out of nowhere. Until then, just enjoy the fantasy football chat. 

Ben Jacobs is one rung up from Sean Casey tbf ;) 

Just now, Kid Dynamite said:

This isn't a computer game though. Just saying Shelvey can be sold doesn't mean anyone wants him or is willing to pay the wages he is on here ...

Again it's not me who's having trouble with making the distinction between reality and fantasy. The context of the conversation is best case scenario in my eyes. In reality his wages likely would be a problem, but with his contract reupping in three games it would be best to move him on now to make room in the squad if we were to bring in another centre mid, if that were possible. It's likely only going to get more expensive to move him on the longer we wait. 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Ben Jacobs is one rung up from Sean Casey tbf ;) 

he was on to the takeover story quite early

edit - and clearly he has reliable sources, unlike Casey who is a bullshit artist.

Not saying he’s right on this. But I wouldn’t confidently declare that any player isn’t coming. Because I haven’t got a clue. And neither do you 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Just now, Polarboy said:

Again it's not me who's having trouble with making the distinction between reality and fantasy. The context of the conversation is best case scenario in my eyes. In reality his wages likely would be a problem, but with his contract reupping in three games it would be best to move him on now to make room in the squad if we were to bring in another centre mid, if that were possible. It's likely only going to get more expensive to move him on the longer we wait. 

Or given he's playing well atm, is looking motivated and doesn't mind being a squad player, let's keep him!

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Im not talking about FFP btw. Im taking about the figure a number of different journalists have been briefed on (apart from Edwards).

I imagine the club have a longitudinal plan for multiple transfer windows, taking into account ages and contract lengths of the current squad. I'm sure we CAN spend an extra £100mil this window if we need to, but given we have no squad places free atm, and are well stocked in CM, I think it's highly

unlikely that we are going to bring another expensive one in

Fair enough. But they could be being briefed what the club wants them to think. Clubs don’t have much of a vested interest in telling the truth on this. I do think you and wyki are probably correct in that the club has a figure in mind they would ideally like to spend though in that £30-50m range. I mention the FFP aspect because that gives us that flexibility I was on about if Paqueta (or a player of that ilk) becomes a possibility

late in the window 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Or given he's playing well atm, is looking motivated and doesn't mind being a squad player, let's keep him!

You're the one saying that we'd need to get rid of one of our mids to fit another one in, so who would you get rid of?, or are you seriously suggesting that a full Brazil international is inferior to any of our mids apart from Bruno?

Just now, Polarboy said:

You're the one saying that we'd need to get rid of one of our mids to fit another one in, so who would you get rid of?, or are you seriously suggesting that a full Brazil international is inferior to any of our mids apart from Bruno?

I didn't say that :lol: 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Paqueta isn't happening.

Willock, Bruno and Joelinton probably our starting 3 CMs, backed up by a revitalised Shelvey, Sean Longstaff with a new contract, Elliot Anderson breaking through and Matty Longstaff probably get loaned out again.

We have £30mil ish to spend and need a striker and a winger. We aren't going to blow the budget on an 8th CM. Nor are we going to drop £30/40mins on Paqueta and play him out of position on the wing or up front like it's championship manager 

And no I don't really think  that you believe that our mids apart from Bruno are comparable to Paqueta, it was a rhetorical device given your mind boggling love of Shelvey when speaking of someone like Paqueta. 

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'm sure this is getting boring for everyone else now, but nowhere in there did I say we need to sell a midfielder. I said we aren't buying Paqueta because we have plenty already 

😂 If you say that were are already well stocked in midfield when we are talking of buying a new midfielder, then what other implication can be drawn?

Edited by Polarboy

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

That we aren't buying him. Keep up man

Your original comment was lacking in logic. It more or less presumes we wouldn't want to upgrade our midfield based on how many mids we have, when as I've already pointed out Howe is open to getting whoever is available regardless of position, although it will obviously be an attacking player. He'll get whoever he thinks will improve the side depending on who's actually available. Paqueta would improve the side and as you say we have five players for three positions, not including Matty and Anderson, so one would need to go, hence my presumption you felt the same.  

The only even vague logic to it would be that you might be able to negotiate one of them down to an acceptable price. It's probably nonsense based purely on the fact that we've been linked to all three. 

Mark Douglas inews:

Newcastle and Everton are understood to be back on Armando Broja watch after West Ham dropped their interest in the Chelsea striker. Broja flew home from Chelsea’s US tour with an injury last week as Thomas Tuchel suggested that the player would stay at Stamford Bridge. But i understands Newcastle’s interest in Broja is ongoing and a loan offer may yet appeal to Chelsea, who don’t want to give up on the Albania striker but are struggling to find a role for him in their forward line. The Magpies are actively searching in the loan market now as they continue to hope to make a further transfer breakthrough before their Premier League opener against Nottingham Forest on Saturday 6 August. For his part, Broja is understood to want regular football and is fully aware that there is interest in him beyond the West Ham offer – which remained on the table until the club agreed a £30.5m deal with Sassuolo for towering Italy forward Gianluca Scamacca last week. Everton, too, are ready to progress discussions with Chelsea on Broja as they look to unlock their own frustration in the summer transfer window. Frank Lampard wants three more players after signing James Tarkowski and they also have an interest in Billy Gilmour, the Scotland and Chelsea midfielder. As i revealed last week, the mid-market for strikers is proving a difficult one for clubs attempting to lure similar players and Newcastle’s situation has been complicated by selling clubs applying a so-called ‘Newcastle premium’ to their valuations. The Magpies are attempting to structure deals to work within their budget. A document lodged at Companies House revealed the club have paid as little as £3m up front for England goalkeeper Nick Pope, with Burnley accepting three further payments of £2.33m over the next three years.

Agents are also yet to realise the parameters of Newcastle’s project and some of the players offered to the hierarchy have not been aligned with the sort of characteristics that the club is actively scouting. They are looking for younger, up-and-coming players and have a budget to bring in players with an eye on boosting their under-23 set-up and creating a pathway to the first team. Newcastle believe some of the fees quoted have been unrealistic. They have been told to double their initial offer for Leeds winger Jack Harrison, who is rated at £35m by the Elland Road club. Offers for Everton’s Anthony Gordon and Dominic Calvert-Lewin have run into trouble while Brentford would want more than £40m for Ivan Toney, who is another player who has been of interest. It may force Newcastle abroad, with the club having asked about Rennes’ Ghana international Kamaldeen Sulemana and RB Salzburg striker Benjamin Sesko, who scored in their Bundesliga opener against Austria Wien on Friday. They have also scouted highly-rated forward Amine Gouiri of Nice, but he is understood to be a longer-term target for the Magpies. Newcastle’s struggles to bring in forward players mean that a clutch of Championship clubs are set to be disappointed in their attempts to sign the talented Elliot Anderson. Sources told i that ‘half the Championship’ have made approaches to the Magpies about Anderson, who has figured prominently in Newcastle’s pre-season programme. But he is currently set to stay at St James’ Park and may be in contention for the start of the Premier League season on August 6. He scored in a pre-season ‘training session’ friendly against Burnley in Portugal. The Magpies take on Benfica in their next friendly ahead of their season opener.

Edited by Polarboy

1 hour ago, thebrokendoll said:

last couple of pages on here make me happy I don't do the twitter thing and just reinforces ny opinion it's a cesspit of minging, festering shite.

sort of place where alex hurst and exile1968 hangout.  :)

tory scum 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

So none fall within budget but we will still bid 

This seems like such a crap filler article to me, I highly doubt Ashworth values premier League proven Harvey Barnes at £25m, when he went out and paid £37m for premier League untested Sven Botman.

25 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Jeeeeesus no thanks, if we're getting stopgaps lets just buy Cornet and be done with it.

I know hes young but his figures last season are near enough Ryan Frasers to make no difference, fuck 50 million.

• Like 2

long ago, back in the olden days  it was widely rumoured (myth or otherwise) that alan oliver was being fed tits bits of info from shepherd which suited his (freddie's) agenda. oliver apparently had a new jag every year for his troubles, he was equally renowned for being 'wide of the mark'

I mean, the chronicle, ceefax and teletext was bad enough for churning out shite. quite why anyone would trawl through endless tweets of inane drivel from know nowt cunts desperately hoping they'll find a glimmer of truth while simultaneously driving themselves round the bend is beyond me. but hey, each to their own!

:)

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season