Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Mark Douglas just retweeted a tweet alert from Red Bull Salzburg saying Sesko has scored in a preseason friendly. Seems like an odd troll'y thing to do from Douglas if this Sesko thing doesn't have legs. Why else would a Northern English football writer be retweeting an Austrian teams preseason score. And obviously this is coming after his agent being in Newcastle, and the social media teases his agent has done. Of course Salzburg have said they don't want to sell him given they've already sold their star striker from last season to Dortmund, so who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

With regards to us not going out and spending daft money, is it not sensible to spend a season establishing some foundations and sorting the total mess we’ve inherited out? Do that in the background and finish top half and you’re in a fantastic place going into 23/24

I honestly think you'll be fine this season by just focussing on making sure your admin and legal staff are a step above their counterparts up here at Hibs.

On that note, your away top for this season is weirdly Hibs-y looking. Hope to fuck it's not an omen.

Scamacca off to the 'ammers, but it does bring Broja back into play, and most likely on a loan given it seems Tuchel doesn't want to sell him permanently. Then again it's been written that he wants a permanent move, but it might be a case of beggars can't be choosers. Of course if we do get Broja on loan we can put everything into getting that one marquee signing. 

He has got some shot on him. He's scored some crackers in Serie a from outside the box and just inside it. So yeah hopefully he barely manages to score a handful of goals this season 😉

Newcastle ask about Rennes winger Kamaldeen Sulemana having rejected Leeds' £35m ask for Harrison | Daily Mail Online

This one seems weird. 20 year old who's only made 26 apps for Rennes, scoring 5 and assisting 3, he can play on the left, the right, or at centre forward, but is predominantly a left winger. I know that sounds like the profile we're more or less after, but it's some real moneyball stuff trying to get players who you think are literally just about to mature, with comparatively little data to back up your analysis of the player. Although I suppose it's the same in regard to Sesko the young Slovenian kid. On top of all that Rennes supposedly value him at 30m having only bought him last summer for around 17m, transfermarkt say 13.5m and the paper say 17m. That's a lot of money for someone who's relatively unproven, but maybe the mail have got their numbers wrong. In any case surely we can find someone of equal talent to Harrison for less than the money Leeds are after in Ligue 1, La Liga, Serie A etc. And just to be clear, yes I know teams buy young promising players all the time, but they usually have a full season or two behind them. Ekitike, Sesko, and now this kid have literally just emerged in either major teams or leagues, having not even played a full season of games. 

11 hours ago, tooner said:

Fair point, but they work their asses off to get possession back 

From what I have seen, Murphy works his ass off not to get possession back in time 

Edu, Arsenal's DOF has ruled out a move for Paqueta. He basically said he admires him but that they are already well stocked in that position, which I've said and seems obvious after then spent 30m+ on Fabio Veira. So it would appear we have a pretty clear run at him if he's actually a priority this window. 

If I could wave a magic wand I'd sell ASM, get Broja on loan, and buy Paqueta and Diaby. Paqueta and Diaby would cost around 90m so the club would likely want/need, who knows with how much we can or want to spend because of FFP, tired talking about it, to move for both Paqueta and Diaby. Diaby can play left or right pretty interchangeably, Paqueta can play on the right as well as centre and attacking mid, Broja can play wide right as well a centre forward, and we have Fraser who's decent on the left, in his favoured position, as he showed when ASM was injured last season. In my opinion he's not as effective on the right. Those three moves would leave us with a lot of flexibility in attack. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

If I could wave a magic wand I'd sell ASM, get Broja on loan, and buy Paqueta and Diaby. Paqueta and Diaby would cost around 90m so the club would likely want/need, who knows with how much we can or want to spend because of FFP, tired talking about it, to move for both Paqueta and Diaby. Diaby can play left or right pretty interchangeably, Paqueta can play on the right as well as centre and attacking mid, Broja can play wide right as well a centre forward, and we have Fraser who's decent on the left, in his favoured position, as he showed when ASM was injured last season. In my opinion he's not as effective on the right. Those three moves would leave us with a lot of flexibility in attack. 

Diaby and Paqueta would be dreamland. 

• Like 1

Then take your pick from Brojan, Fraser, Almiron even Paqueta as back up, were Polarboy’s scenario to happen.

That would be an unbelievable window tbf.  

• Like 1

Assuming we did sell ASM, loan Broja and buy Paqueta and Diaby; Fraser, Joelinton, Diaby, and Almiron can play on the left. And Fraser, Diaby, Almiron, Broja and Paqueta can play on the right. We'd have plenty of options

Pass the baby lotion basically in that eventuality.

Realistically, we may struggle to sign Paqueta and Diaby. I think the latter wants champions league and he had that at Leverkusen 

We currently have 1 good premier league level winger.

Your preference is to sell him, replace him with another winger and then play other people out of position on the other side? 

Seems sensible, but I would rather buy a winger to play the other side so we have 2 decent wingers.

20 minutes ago, strawb said:

We currently have 1 good premier league level winger.

Your preference is to sell him, replace him with another winger and then play other people out of position on the other side? 

Seems sensible, but I would rather buy a winger to play the other side so we have 2 decent wingers.

ASM is frustrating as fuck. Potentially a top player but so inconsistent. Would you be sad to see him go if we end up with Paqueta, Diaby and Broja? I wouldn’t 

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season