Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

3 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

So you did all that digging and your argument is that he averages 6.75 vs 6.85 for Lascelles (who I already said I don’t particularly rate) a lot of the time alongside one or both of Silva or Rudiger.  That’s me convinced. Sign him up and let’s all start calling him ‘Der Kaiser’.

No, my argument was clear it's your reading comprehension and general knowledge of football that isn't. Lascelles was a decent centre back in his prime for us. He generally kept the team together through some tough times as captain, was phenomenal in the air at clearing crosses for example, got a big stat bump in our championship winning season he played, but is well past that peak now. If you can't see the difference between him and someone who's just turned 24 as cover, but has all attributes, physical and otherwise, to be a top defender, I can't help you. I mean Tuchel promoted him to the first team and played him in Champions League games, but I'm sure you know better than him that he's in fact gash.

And the profile that we're looking for seems to be someone with a bit yet to learn who won't mind being Schar's understudy for 18 months or so. It will depend on the price but anything around 20m will be value in this market. And Chalobah's stats are good for a young centre back. For comparison, Guehi at Palace, a solid defensive team, has an average rating of 6.79, and there's talk of him going for 60m maybe more. Don't get me wrong you need to pass the eye test as well, but I clearly I don't concur with your eye test that he's gash. Chalobah is someone Howe could coach into a very good player. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Bear in mind also that those ratings (I assume from whoscored) are based on specific stats, which is why quite average fullbacks can rate quite highly if they're producing at the top end of the pitch regardless of their defensive contributions. Chalobah is a squad centre back for Chelsea at 24, he's not great at anything, he's no better than Schar or Botman, I don't think he's significantly better than Burn to be honest, certainly not the tune of the kinds of sums they'd demand. Can't imagine he'd want to swap sitting on their bench for sitting on ours. 

That said I wouldn't take the opinions of a Chelsea fan on the talent of a player. They seem to exist in a purely binary state, either they're Gods or trash. As fanbases go, they've got to be among the most entitled. 

If he was already better than Schar and Botman he wouldn't be coming as cover, which it seems is what we're looking for. As for sitting on the bench, he might end up fourth or fifth choice at Chelsea, so being a second choice right sided CB and RB would see him closer to the first team if he was signed. As for price I don't think Chelsea could legitimately ask for much more then 25m. When you see that Guehi is valued at 60m he's a decent option for cover who Howe can work with and improve. As I said he has all the attributes, even he's still understandably a bit raw. 

Edited by Polarboy

15 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

:lol:

@ewerk

are the good folk of donegal usually this pugnacious?

Backing your own opinion when it's challenged is hardly an example of pugnaciousness. It would be an example of timidness if I didn't. But I can imagine which stereotypes you are alluding to. If that kind of thing amuses you knock yourself out 👍

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's very isolated in Donegal is all I'll say.

Where are you from again 🧐

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

Backing your own opinion when it's challenged is hardly an example of pugnaciousness. It would be an example of timidness if I didn't. But I can imagine which stereotypes you are alluding to. If that kind of thing amuses you knock yourself out 👍

Where are you from again 🧐

chill out man!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

chill out man!

Your tone appeared a bit condescending. If you didn't mean anything by it fair enough, and I'll take the comment in the spirit it was intended. 

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

He isn’t sure, to be sure, so he isn’t. 

For this crime against the Irish and comedy the punishment is Conor McGregor coming round your gaff in a coke fuelled rage. 

Edited by Polarboy

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

For this crime against the Irish and comedy the punishment Conor McGregor coming round your gaff in a coke fuelled rage. 

Pugnacious little fucker, Conor, isn’t he? 

Is he bringing some of his shit whiskey? 

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Pugnacious little fucker, Conor, isn’t he? 

Is he bringing some of his shit whiskey? 

Nah, he's just going to snap his leg again over your head 😉👍

18 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

For this crime against the Irish and comedy the punishment is Conor McGregor coming round your gaff in a coke fuelled rage. 

My gutters don't need cleared, nor my driveway cleaning so tell him not to waste his time. :good:

>>>> ;) <<<<

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

My gutters don't need cleared, nor my driveway cleaning so tell him not to waste his time. :good:

>>>> ;) <<<<

Are you and Monkeys Fist one in the same? 🤔 If not, not only is it a shit joke it doesn't make any sense. 

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Are you and Monkeys Fist one in the same? 🤔 If not, not only is it a shit joke it doesn't make any sense. 

I fucking hope not! :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He's calling you a gippo, mate.

Replying to a comment that wasn't for him, and then implying McGregor is a gippo, is a very roundabout way of doing it. Bit like you now.  If you're going to be a keyboard warrior you may as well be up front about it. 

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

Replying to a comment that wasn't for him, and then implying McGregor is a gippo, is a very roundabout way of doing it. Bit like you now.  If you're going to be a keyboard warrior you may as well be up front about it. 

Fucking chill out for fuck sake, man! :lol: I know you're not new to the forum so I'm assuming you're suffering from amnesia or something? We just tend to carry on, talk a bit of shit and do stupid stuff from time to time as we're in dad- jokes age territory these days. I'm not calling anyone a gippo in reality. :good:

• Haha 5

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season