Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Here he is! Where you been PB! We need you now it's transfer season! 

I've been doing a degree. Posting about a transfer straight away is only feeding the conspiracy theorists that I only comment on transfers to be fair, but if I can spread joy to even them....well I've made a mistake actually 😂

• Like 2

I seen bacon tits saying recently that he could have signed both Eze and Olise for us if it hadn't been for the fact that decent footballers break out in hives if they pass the Watford gap. It of course had nothing to do with the fact that he was never a good manager and was clapped out even from his prime, for want of a better word, when he was our manager. Added of course to the fact that it was well known that the only ambition Ashley had for the club was to survive in the PL so he could keep picking up his cheque, which even Bruce admitted was his remit. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I seen bacon tits saying recently that he could have signed both Eze and Olise for us if it hadn't been for the fact that decent footballers break out in hives if they pass the Watford gap. It of course had nothing to do with the fact that he was never a good manager and was clapped out even from his prime, for want of a better word, when he was our manager. Added of course to the fact that it was well known that the only ambition Ashley had for the club was to survive in the PL so he could keep picking up his cheque, which even Bruce admitted was his remit. 

I wouldn’t let it get to ya if I were you. 

7 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I've been doing a degree. Posting about a transfer straight away is only feeding the conspiracy theorists that I only comment on transfers to be fair, but if I can spread joy to even them....well I've made a mistake actually 😂

Welcome back

Give Me Five GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

What degree are you doing?

13 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I like the look of this keeper Mamardashvili that we're supposed to be after. Douglas in the i mentioned we're talking to Valencia, and he usually isn't that far off, or is at least a higher grade of itk. Whatever we can do to not hand Arsenal 40m for Ramsdale I'm all for. One criticism I would have, and this is obviously only from the limited amount of footage I've seen, he does seem to have a habit of pushing the ball into the danger area when he makes a save. 

Apparently Chelsea are after Mamardashvili too... 

The games I've seen him in, he's been an excellent shot stopper with superb reactions & an incredibly strong voice. Dominates the area too. The way we play, he'd need to come off his line alot more but imagine he's got that in his tank. More confident with ball at his feet too but again not upper echelons yet - will need improving.

Won't be coming here second fiddle anyway & Chelsea will probably buy him, Olise, Sesko.....

How are Chelsea not in the shit financially? They stayed in the black last season by selling all of their cast offs to Saudi Arabia. They've not really got anyone left to sell now (worth decent money anyway)

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

How are Chelsea not in the shit financially? They stayed in the black last season by selling all of their cast offs to Saudi Arabia. They've not really got anyone left to sell now (worth decent money anyway)

Gallagher and chalobah would be pure profit 

8 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Welcome back

Give Me Five GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

What degree are you doing?

Thanks. It was a one year conversion degree/HDip to Sustainability and Climate at Cork University. I finished it a few weeks ago. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NobbySol said:

Apparently Chelsea are after Mamardashvili too... 

The games I've seen him in, he's been an excellent shot stopper with superb reactions & an incredibly strong voice. Dominates the area too. The way we play, he'd need to come off his line alot more but imagine he's got that in his tank. More confident with ball at his feet too but again not upper echelons yet - will need improving.

Won't be coming here second fiddle anyway & Chelsea will probably buy him, Olise, Sesko.....

I seen one journo suggest we're using him to drive down Ramsdale's price, but he won't be coming to play second fiddle either. So it seems that Eddie at the very least wants Pope to fight it out with someone for the number 1 spot if not replace him given his deficiencies in distribution etc. I'd imagine Pope will move on next January or summer 2025 if we buy either and they take his spot. By that time we'll hopefully have identified a young keeper who doesn't mind being number 2, or a decent older keeper. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Thanks. It was a one year conversion degree/HDip to Sustainability and Climate at Cork University. I finished it a few weeks ago. 

Cork university? I‘d thought they only would do fecking swearing courses.

Edited by Isegrim
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Cork university? I‘d thought they only would do fecking swearing courses.

They hired some Lecturers not from Cork, so their choice of courses has broadened. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

I seen one journo suggest we're using him to drive down Ramsdale's price, but he won't be coming to play second fiddle either. So it seems that Eddie at the very least wants Pope to fight it out with someone for the number 1 spot if not replace him given his deficiencies in distribution etc. I'd imagine Pope will move on next January or summer 2025 if we buy either and they take his spot. By that time we'll hopefully have identified a young keeper who doesn't mind being number 2, or a decent older keeper. 

He's been known to guide players into the  11 over times so I guess if we did sign him, it'd be a gradual integration. Sell it as you'd need to learn training methods and how the team players before eventually taking over. 

It was apparent last season how much we struggled without Pope, so hopefully with another decent to top keeper in the ranks, it will allow a season or 2 to search for an understudy to the next, when Pope does move on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I assume the lack of European football will see the likes of Dummett and Gillespie jettisoned now that we don't require a homegrown quota 

How many do we actually need?

Do the following: Gillespie, Dummet, Longstaff, Anderson, Miley and White all count? 

That seems like a lot.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

How many do we actually need?

Do the following: Gillespie, Dummet, Longstaff, Anderson, Miley and White all count? 

That seems like a lot.

8 "homegrown".

- 4 must be from our academy (Miley, Longstaff, Anderson, White) and have played 36 consecutive months between the ages of 15-21

- 4 from another English clubs academy (Barnes, Trippier, Wilson, Murphy, Pope, Tino, Hall, Gordon etc)

Miley doesn't count under the 36month rule yet but will by next season. Gillespie never counted apparently as he left the academy at 16 to go to Carlisle. 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 3

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13461109/Everton-Newcastle-Yankuba-Minteh-Arne-Slot-Feyenoord-Michael-Olise.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=social-twitter_dailymailsport

If Olise really has a £45m release clause then he needs to be near the top of our list for transfers this summer. Perfect Almiron replacement and more important than dropping £30mil on a new keeper. I suspect Man U and Chelsea will be offering him £200k+ per though 

• Like 3

I do love silly season. It was notably absent in Jan when we said the pot was dry but now we've got a few sponsors and the chance to sell a couple of players, I'm sure we will be linked with every half decent transfer opportunity. A couple of CBs, RW, ST in, Wilson, Almiron leaving would probably be good business for me. Id be sad to see Trips go, but if it was good money it would be an easy decision. We are stacked in midfield so unless someone is moving on I don't see us adding there. Full back position couple probably do with an addition. Is Targett still injured?

• Like 2

I reckon we could shuffle the deck quite a bit and come out stronger. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Pope away if we get that Valencia keeper. With a new second choice plucked from a team within the league with us 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d be looking to move Longstaff on if a decent bid came in given he’s pure profit 

Getting shot of Longstaff and bringing in Ederson, for example, off Atalanta would be ideal. I've nothing against Longstaff, and he clearly loves the club, is a Geordie, gives his all etc, but if I have to watch him sky shots, or miss simple crosses/passes into the box for another full season it will send me demented. And he actually managed to score a few last season compared to previous seasons, but his ratio is shocking. Bruno, Joelinton, Sandro, and Ederson would be an immense set of mids to have in terms of keeping each other on their toes in order to make the midfield three week in week out and adding quality to the bench.