2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

1 hour ago, toonotl said:

image.png.548c9b18671bd52306f256db31d0e6e9.png

Here's the corresponding games for last season at 10.6. This season is 13.8. So definitely much less intensity in the press even when allowing for the difficulty of the opposition. What was our overall PPDA last season? I can't seem to track it down.

Our average PpDA last season was 9.19 (here )

Where'd you get those stats from? I have this;

image.png.0d7b4757d9d8b680a960906306b24807.png

image.png.37c65cca38ca48179ef122f124aefe09.png

Liverpool is anomalous because of Pope's red card last season. But in all games we're allowing more passes per defensive action than our average last season. I reckon part of that is our form, part of that is the quality of opposition, part of it will be teams working us out a bit too.

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

Possibly. One other thing I will say is that we aren’t looking after the ball as much as did in the midfield area. Everything is about going for the kill (which id much rather do than pedestrian football) but we need to be cleverer in possession with this many games. 

I wonder if this comes back to confidence? Looking for that killer ball straight away rather than trusting each other to pass the ball around?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Our average PpDA last season was 9.19 (here )

Where'd you get those stats from? I have this;

image.png.0d7b4757d9d8b680a960906306b24807.png

image.png.37c65cca38ca48179ef122f124aefe09.png

Liverpool is anomalous because of Pope's red card last season. But in all games we're allowing more passes per defensive action than our average last season. I reckon part of that is our form, part of that is the quality of opposition, part of it will be teams working us out a bit too.

I wonder if this comes back to confidence? Looking for that killer ball straight away rather than trusting each other to pass the ball around?

i think confidence is a factor. I suspect we were over confident after dispatching villa (and soaking up the adulation). Then it’s been massively dented by the Liverpool game. Back down to earth and a reminder we aren’t as good as we thought we were (both players and fans).

I once got players player of the year for my Saturday team. At the start of the next season I swanned around the pitch thinking I don’t need to try that hard. I got dropped after about 4 games. 😂

I think there was an element of this. Our players aren’t the calibre of liverpool or Man City etc so we need to work our balls off and know our limitations. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 11:04, The Fish said:

image.png.1aaa041d43895178e69d7c736f4cd4a0.png

Goals scored vs Expected goals. You don't want to be below the line for a long time (failing to put away your chances), or to the bottom left corner (not making chances or scoring them.)

image.png.53240ec1fd784a4b7af7a5862bf71af2.png

Goals conceded vs chances given up. You don't want to be above the line for a long time (conceding a lot of chances), or to the top right corner (giving up lots of chances and conceding from them)

image.png.de7ee1ae2cd987a3374caeb246a5bbfa.png

You want to be bottom right, creating lots and conceding few chances. You don't want to be top left. We're not doing great at the minute. Not creating much and giving up quite a few.

Thoroughly tempted to update based off the Sheffield result. 

16 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

We could have had 11. Wilson (2) and Gordon missed absolute sitters 

don't forget the blatant pen that VAR ignored because we were already three up and we're not a side which wears red from the north west 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Thoroughly tempted to update based off the Sheffield result. 

Idk how you're resisting the urge tbh, whenever I maintain this sort of shit the second any new data point comes in I have to update it, followed by excitedly staring at it for a bit. Then I undo it and allow myself to relive the moment.

I wish I was joking.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Idk how you're resisting the urge tbh, whenever I maintain this sort of shit the second any new data point comes in I have to update it, followed by excitedly staring at it for a bit. Then I undo it and allow myself to relive the moment.

I wish I was joking.

I have no will power

image.thumb.png.1698b96ac783175fb0c46ce65dfe2506.png

image.thumb.png.c78e32a54cb3c7448d51fd98113c7cf0.png

image.png.7e1578526de1fda7a94b887b0cd4b2cd.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

What changed in this one though? Was the other one post-Brentford only?

No, the table hadn't been properly sorted, so the numbers weren't yet accurate. For example, Luton was way off.

• Like 1

In a shock twist, a certain doctor previously known for his hoverboard prowess and DJing skills has emerged as Toontastic's new stats guru.

His CV boasted about years of experience moderating internet message boards but the board's resident stat man Fish's reputation is in tatters after a succession of botched number crunching. "Accuracy is a prerequisite. We don't insist on being first, but we do insist on being right", said a furious so-called accountant.

A veteran contributor based on the South Coast blamed the mistakes on the news that Fish's wife is expecting a new baby. "Next thing you know, he'll be kissing his club badge", he complained. 

• Haha 12

44 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Can I just draw attention to the thread title- “ Generic NUFC “CHAT” not 

“ Generic NUFC STAT”. 

You know a good way to draw attention to something?

Graphs.

3 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

image.png.b9d3a8a027faab17f22cdaeeeff2368d.png

Hey, it got my attention, got your point across succinctly too.

Now what you've got to ask yourself is this; do you want me to throw three graphs up in here, orrrr do you want me to go all loquacious again?

Statty Dave, or Chatty Dave. It's entirely up to you.