2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

image.png.1aaa041d43895178e69d7c736f4cd4a0.png

Goals scored vs Expected goals. You don't want to be below the line for a long time (failing to put away your chances), or to the bottom left corner (not making chances or scoring them.)

image.png.53240ec1fd784a4b7af7a5862bf71af2.png

Goals conceded vs chances given up. You don't want to be above the line for a long time (conceding a lot of chances), or to the top right corner (giving up lots of chances and conceding from them)

image.png.de7ee1ae2cd987a3374caeb246a5bbfa.png

You want to be bottom right, creating lots and conceding few chances. You don't want to be top left. We're not doing great at the minute. Not creating much and giving up quite a few.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

image.png.1aaa041d43895178e69d7c736f4cd4a0.png

Goals scored vs Expected goals. You don't want to be below the line for a long time (failing to put away your chances), or to the bottom left corner (not making chances or scoring them.)

image.png.53240ec1fd784a4b7af7a5862bf71af2.png

Goals conceded vs chances given up. You don't want to be above the line for a long time (conceding a lot of chances), or to the top right corner (giving up lots of chances and conceding from them)

image.png.de7ee1ae2cd987a3374caeb246a5bbfa.png

You want to be bottom right, creating lots and conceding few chances. You don't want to be top left. We're not doing great at the minute. Not creating much and giving up quite a few.

Top charts Fish.  Will be interesting to keep an eye on these as the season progresses,  Is it easy for you to replicate these for the CL group we are in?

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Top charts Fish.  Will be interesting to keep an eye on these as the season progresses,  Is it easy for you to replicate these for the CL group we are in?

For me? Yes.

It's not particularly useful though. Such a small sample size in direct competition, and not sure how valuable it would be to use each teams' league form. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Fish said:

For me? Yes.

It's not particularly useful though. Such a small sample size in direct competition, and not sure how valuable it would be to use each teams' league form. 

Ah, yeh I suppose so.  

Can we have these updated every few months for the league then?

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Ah, yeh I suppose so.  

Can we have these updated every few months for the league then?

Of course you can, my grumpy lil Yorkshuh Puddin'.

• Haha 2

On the back of some pretty consistent chat about our press not being as effective as last year, I'm wondering if it's not linked to the difficulty of our opening fixtures this season. I do agree that our press certainly doesn't seem to have the aggression to it that it did last year. But perhaps there are mitigating circumstances. It would be nice to have some numbers to see the relative downturn.

Would it be possible (by one of the boffins) to put together a sample for PPDA for the corresponding PL fixtures from last season to this season? And/or any other relevant statistic that is taken to be representative of press frequency and effectiveness.

I have also been wondering if it's perhaps one of those things too where a slight lack of confidence is enough to have an impact on our ability to press our opponents. It would seem that such a philosophy requires supreme confidence in each other to pull it off as pressing high up the pitch risks being opened up at the back if it is not performed effectively. Or maybe the run of goals conceded later in the season last has led to a bit of a rejig of Howe's thinking to perhaps try to time our press a little more selectively. Or maybe it's something else entirely. Anyway, I'm off work sick, so I need something to pass the time. And certainly don't take me asking for statistics as a come on either. I know you spreadsheet types. You'll take any attention as an invitation to drop your knickers. I just want to get the raw, hard data. That's all. Raw and hard. Nothing more.

Edited by toonotl
  • Haha 3

I was thinking last night.  There's a lot of pissing of knickers.

Aston Villa finished the season well.  They've recruited well, we spanked them in the opening fixture.

City. Frustrating game really.  But we got beat 1-0 by a team that wiped the floor with most people last season and in recent times we have been smashed at the Ethiad.

Liverpool. A game that should have been out of sight in the first half.  A reminder how much we have to go.  As much as we despise the cunts, they are a team we would love to emulate.
Brighton. Nuff Said
Brentford. Ground out a win after two games that must have smashed morale.
Meelan. 0-0 and another clean sheet.

So, pisser of pants. Just look at the calibre of teams we are playing.  We got a clean sheet against last years Champions League finalists FFS and people are moaning about how we don't look like we are last year.  We are half a dozen games in FFS.  We have got new players that are still finding their feet into Eddie's system.  Players like Tonali who are coming into a new league and culture.

Chill man.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Aston Villa finished the season well.  They've recruited well, we spanked them in the opening fixture.

City. Frustrating game really.  But we got beat 1-0 by a team that wiped the floor with most people last season and in recent times we have been smashed at the Ethiad.

Liverpool. A game that should have been out of sight in the first half.  A reminder how much we have to go.  As much as we despise the cunts, they are a team we would love to emulate.
Brighton. Nuff Said

So, pisser of pants. Just look at the calibre of teams we are playing.  We got a clean sheet against last years Champions League finalists FFS and people are moaning about how we don't look like we are last year.  We are half a dozen games in FFS.  We have got new players that are still finding their feet into Eddie's system.  Players like Tonali who are coming into a new league and culture.

Chill man.

There is a certain beauty about, none other than Wykiki telling the forum to chill. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The response on here seems pretty measured so far 

Aye. The point is amazing but we definitely aren’t the same force as we were last season. Whether that’s personnel or fitness..I don’t know. I have faith Eddie will get us back on track.

I can count on one hand how many games we didn’t deserve to get anything out of last season. I think we are close to that mark already this season. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The response on here seems pretty measured so far 

Aye, I think  most people, including Eddie, are just a bit ponderous as to our overall style of play at the minute, not so much the results. 

I don’t think it’s anything major, but we are certainly not ourselves. On our day we are like a super charged engine and it only takes a few misfires to make it sluggish. 

We have players who are out of form, new players trying to fit in, and others whose confidence  is dropping off because of how the above is effecting us. 

Personally, I think the midfield is the main problem at the moment and given how much Howe will need to use the full squad in the coming months, I think he is going to have a tough time trying to get the engine purring again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

Aye, I think  most people, including Eddie, are just a bit ponderous as to our overall style of play at the minute, not so much the results. 

I don’t think it’s anything major, but we are certainly not ourselves. On our day we are like a super charged engine and it only takes a few misfires to make it sluggish. 

We have players who are out of form, new players trying to fit in, and others whose confidence  is dropping off because of how the above is effecting us. 

Personally, I think the midfield is the main problem at the moment and given how much Howe will need to use the full squad in the coming months, I think he is going to have a tough time trying to get the engine purring again.

Wykiki being the voice of reason and now CT using metaphors to accurately describe the current tactical issues…. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON ?!?

• Haha 6

image.png.548c9b18671bd52306f256db31d0e6e9.png

Here's the corresponding games for last season at 10.6. This season is 13.8. So definitely much less intensity in the press even when allowing for the difficulty of the opposition. What was our overall PPDA last season? I can't seem to track it down.

32 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Are we holding some of the press off at the moment due to the increase in number of games from last season? Or should I say the shorter turn around times?

Possibly. One other thing I will say is that we aren’t looking after the ball as much as did in the midfield area. Everything is about going for the kill (which id much rather do than pedestrian football) but we need to be cleverer in possession with this many games. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Are we holding some of the press off at the moment due to the increase in number of games from last season? Or should I say the shorter turn around times?

It’s a good point. Maybe the way we attacked every game last season, pressing like rabid dogs, isn’t sustainable while you’re playing three games a week 

47 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Wykiki being the voice of reason and now CT using metaphors to accurately describe the current tactical issues…. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON ?!?

All we need is Gemmill to confidently predict Everton will survive and we can safely say we’re living in the matrix 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Brighton. Nuff Said

Chill man.

Not so sure I want us to murder other teams fans tbh.

Rest of post is spot on though.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Haha 2