Wor Eddie's One Step at a Time Wankers v Media Darling South Coast Cunts

wykikitoon

On 30/08/2023 at 02:38, Dr Gloom said:

The xG data reinforces what most of us have said. We should have won. We had the chances to win, but we failed to really dominate or create the number of high value opportunities you would expect against 10 men. Credit to horse teeth for the way he set them up. But we bottled it in the end. 

We bottled it after a freakish bit of bad luck (though you could say don't turn your back on the ball). It was compounded because once they got that goal we no longer had our strongest team out there and being obligated to push for the winner another error resulted in them having a load of space.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

"there's a small chance" botman will make the squad, according to howe. will make a late decision on him. 

i reckon he starts 

• Like 1

If there is no Botman, it needs to be Tino either LB or RB and Trips on the other flank.

What we really need is for wor Eddie to get Isak and Wilson into the starting 11, change up this inverted winger. lack of creativity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sammynb said:

If there is no Botman, it needs to be Tino either LB or RB and Trips on the other flank.

What we really need is for wor Eddie to get Isak and Wilson into the starting 11, change up this inverted winger. lack of creativity.

howe got us into the champions league playing with inverted wingers. he's not about to change now. isak looks much better through the middle than out wide and wilson is a dangerous sub to bring on.

a lack of creativity against liverpool wasn't the problem, it was a failure to take our chances. the woodwork (twice), a wonder save from allison, and our own nerves after failing to kill them off with in the final ten minutes did for us. 

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 11.43.10.png

it'll be the pretty much the same starting 11/system as the first few games.

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

It’s called a realist. Or pessimist. Somewhere in between, maybe.

The thing about Howe (so far), is we haven't yet gone on a big run of defeats in the league. Until now, he's been able to galvanise the team after a poor result or performance. I expect a response against Brighton. We tore them apart at SJP and they have lost Caicedo and Mac Allister since then. I'd take a point because it's a tough away fixture but i fancy us to win

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

howe got us into the champions league playing with inverted wingers. he's not about to change now. isak looks much better through the middle than out wide and wilson is a dangerous sub to bring on.

a lack of creativity against liverpool wasn't the problem, it was a failure to take our chances. the woodwork (twice), a wonder save from allison, and our own nerves after failing to kill them off with in the final ten minutes did for us. 

it'll be the pretty much the same starting 11/system as the first few games.

It was a failure because our CF wasn't in the game and the chances fell to players who couldn't finish their dinner. Miggy's lack of finish is well documented, Isak was isolated for all of the game bar the red card moment. You are wrong about Isak being better through the middle, he carved it up last season on the left, Gordon doesn't deserve to be dropped on current form, so get him on the right.

When Isak was signed there were sone suggestions he would replace Almiron (and Wilson in the longer term). Then Isak got injured and Almiron had a purple patch 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sammynb said:

It was a failure because our CF wasn't in the game and the chances fell to players who couldn't finish their dinner. Miggy's lack of finish is well documented, Isak was isolated for all of the game bar the red card moment. You are wrong about Isak being better through the middle, he carved it up last season on the left, Gordon doesn't deserve to be dropped on current form, so get him on the right.

nah. he can do a job out wide, but he's much, much better played as a central striker. he will be one of the best in the world in a year or two.

miggy was hugely unlucky with two of his chances, hitting the post after a wonder run and allision somehow keeping out his volley. the one chance he should have scored wad when he leant back and blazed one over the bar. 

the one thing i agree with you on is isak looking isolated against liverpool. we miss willock in that sense as none of the central midfield three currently really get up to support him as much. but you're wrong to say the 4-3-3 with inverted wingers isn't a creative system. we've been bloody brilliant playing this way for over a year now. we create chances in pretty much every game we play. our issue remains being wasteful in front of goal. 

Gloomy, you're right about Isak will be one of the best in a few years but he's still like Henry was when he was young, unfinished and not a natural striker, more a CF - if you don't know the difference then we may as well stop discussing now.

Wilson is a pure striker, we have shown in the last couple of games we need that.

Miggy's three glaring misses are what killed us against the bin dippers, not the unlucky two. We need more than what we have had recently, against the better teams, you just need that bit extra and with two quick hard working inverted wingers, you just don't get that.

Also I want to drop this in from the Callum Wilson thread, that was posted by @acrossthepond in April this year (so Wilson now has quite a few more), it shows hoe important Wilson is as a starter, not sub.

From .com:

Only eight players have scored more goals for the club in the PL, his [Wilson's] Goodison brace seeing him draw level with Ayoze Perez on 33:

Callum Wilson 33
Robert Lee 34
Papiss Cisse 37
Nolberto Solano 37
Les Ferdinand 41
Shola Ameobi 43
Andy Cole 43
Peter Beardsley 46
Alan Shearer 148

Edited by sammynb

The failure to take chances isn’t Howe’s fault. The one criticism I have (and it’s is a minor one) is the lack of a plan b.

The 4-3-3 with inverted winners is great but when he makes subs it’s usually like-for-like. He never changes the shape of the team in game. 

I don’t know if it’s a lack of flexibility or that they’re just so well drilled at the system that he prefers to change the players without altering the structure. But I wonder if he’ll need to be bolder if we’re going to win some silverware.

The best coaches will train their players to play more than one system and should be able to switch during the game. I can’t remember ever seeing Howe do that. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, sammynb said:

You'd not give Hall a run out at LB, don't think Livramento has played much on the left so it would be switching Trips to the left. I wouldn't mind seeing Livramento in midfield on the right, I think it would work well with his size and skill but I can see Howe persisting with Miggy and Murphy doesn't deserve to lose his substitute position.

8 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Gloomy, you're right about Isak will be one of the best in a few years but he's still like Henry was when he was young, unfinished and not a natural striker, more a CF - if you don't know the difference then we may as well stop discussing now.

Wilson is a pure striker, we have shown in the last couple of games we need that.

Miggy's three glaring misses are what killed us against the bin dippers, not the unlucky two. We need more than what we have had recently, against the better teams, you just need that bit extra and with two quick hard working inverted wingers, you just don't get that.

Also I want to drop this in from the Callum Wilson thread, that was posted by @acrossthepond in April this year (so Wilson now has quite a few more), it shows hoe important Wilson is as a starter, not sub.

I’d stick with Isak in the middle and I think Howe will too. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

The failure to take chances isn’t Howe’s fault. The one criticism I have (and it’s is a minor one) is the lack of a plan b.

I'm confused, where did I say it was Howe's fault for Miggy being shite at finishing?

Isak has shown he can play in Howe's system, it's a smart change, get your best striker on the pitch and your most talented attacking player.

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

The 4-3-3 with inverted winners is great but when he makes subs it’s usually like-for-like. He never chances the shape of the team in game. 

I don’t know if it’s a lack of flexibility or that they’re just so well drilled at the system that he prefers to change the players without altering the structure. But I wonder if he’ll need to be bolder if we’re going to win some silverware.

The best coaches will train their players to play more than one system and should be able to switch during the game. I can’t remember ever seeing Howe do that. 

It's this. He's working towards a system that is not overly reliant on any one player. I don't think that works against the tougher teams as you need to give your best players the chance to be at their creative best.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OTF said:

You'd not give Hall a run out at LB, don't think Livramento has played much on the left so it would be switching Trips to the left. I wouldn't mind seeing Livramento in midfield on the right, I think it would work well with his size and skill but I can see Howe persisting with Miggy and Murphy doesn't deserve to lose his substitute position.

Isn't Hall allegedly unfit?

It won't matter the Botman will be fit and we will line up as we have for the last three games.