What's next?

sammynb

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Autocorrect is a pisser. What is a cum fort, wykiki, and did you become a QS so you could build the best one?

QS? You fucking bank manager and I thought we were friends!!!! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Disclaimer: my preface is that I appreciate the honesty in this post and do not want to appear insensitive to other posters' strongly held beliefs or feelings. If you think you may be offended, please stop reading!

With that said, I personally find Pascal's wager as the ultimate cop out. I can't even get my head around how you can be so transactional and how you think an omniscient God wouldn't know this. I guess the harm comes from what you have alluded to and admitted burying - your belief that 99% of this board are going to hell, or at least that is what your religion states. That can't be a good feeling. Fortunately for you I guess you were born into the right faith, you could just as easily been born a christian, jew, or to humanists and you'd have much less chance of avoiding the fiery pit like the rest of us? 

I guess what this tells me is that religion forces us to decompartmentalise our minds. It's really not possible to be a scientist and be religious without doing this imo. Often, the more people think about religion, the less comfort it gives. My Dad converted to catholicism to marry my deeply catholic mother and I think really struggled to rationalise his religousity with his rationality all his life, worsening the older he got and the closer he got to death. I don't believe it helped him, I don't believe it gave him any comfort. Of course, I couldn't really discuss it with him in the way I am doing here. My Dad is dead. Gone. I won't ever meet him again. It's very sad, I still grieve my loss, but it's the truth and I have to accept this and make the most of relationships at this point in the spacetime continuum. Ultimately, the past is as real as the future, but I can't sense the past in the same way. We have one life only. 

On the other hand, I am absolutely certain that I am not going to hell, even if an Abrahamic God does exist, 'cos what type of cunt would give me the background and knowledge he has, let me live a relatively short life, and then torture me for eternity? I wager that doesn't make any sense at all. 

Hitchens wrote and spoke about Pascal's Wager quite a lot (unsurprisingly) and as with a lot of things he has to say on the broader topic of religion in general, absolutely hits the nail on the head for me.

Worth also pointing out he stubbornly refused to go back on this view when on his deathbed. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gemmill said:

What did you make of a cruise? Acorah notwithstanding.

I half like the idea of just being deposited in different places, but the prospect of having to sit on tables with other guests for dinner and running into the same people all the time would have me swimming for shore.

Yeah you’ve basically nailed it mate :lol: 

At the time I was 46, TNSP Mrs PL was 43 and we were the youngest on there by at least a decade :D 

We left Southampton on 2nd January. Nearly 4 weeks at sea. Too long really but still enjoyed it, went through the Panama Canal :) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/09/diana-rigg-assisted-dying-rachael-stirling-mother-cancer?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

A "good" read. Relates to some of what we've discussed in this thread; how there should be an off button when we've had enough.

My old man’s last days were absolutely awful. 
 He’d refused treatment for the same reasons as Ms. Rigg, it was delaying the inevitable and he didn’t want his remaining time spent being ill from drugs and radiotherapy. 

He stuck with that choice, and then chose not to go in to hospital at the end, after Covid had hit, as he didn’t want to die alone. 

It took some time, the end, and he was conscious for a the majority of it. 

All the visiting nurses could offer was painkillers of increasing strength. 

Once he’d lost his faculties, and was on morphine, I asked the nurses if they could “accidentally” leave an overdose worth that I could give him. 

Whilst very sympathetic, they obviously couldn’t. 

As a result*, my Dad’s last days were spent gasping for breath as his lungs filled up, whilst slowly starving, and eventually unable to take on any fluid. 

It was fucking brutal. 

All because some cunts who believes in sky fairys thinks it’d be a sin to let people go out with dignity on their own terms, and no PM has had the stones to fight for it. 

* I’m not blaming the nurses in any way here, just stating what the result of not being able to hasten the process leads to. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

My experience with my Mam was almost identical MF except she was in hospital amd merciffuly unconscious or out of it for the duration. 

I had a disagreement with the main doctor who actually used the phrase "As a Christian I believe life is sacred" 

My sister dragged me away before I lost it. 

Edited by NJS
  • Like 5

Fucking hell MF, so sorry your Dad and his (your) family had to go through that. And that's another thing isn't it, completely unfair on the person affected but also likely that it will scar the family. Everyone deserves a painless and dignified death. 

• Like 2

On 01/12/2023 at 10:32, sammynb said:

I've been thinking about this a bit as I'm now of the age where heros and those who have had influence upon my life, good and bad, are dying with more regularity than when you are younger.

And of course that makes you question your own mortality?

So, I suppose the question is, what's yout thoughts on what's next, once you make the Yes Gemmill thread?

I was dragged up Catholic/Christian but I have no time for their beliefs, that there is a heaven with a white middle eastern Jewish chap, his dad and cohorts, welcoming the likes of Trump and the world's new believers.

Terry Pratchet had this wonderful notion in his discworld books, that death himself collects you but after that you get whatever you believe in, so if you're a jihadist you get your 61 virgins (sorry but really who wants a virgin?), if you think it's hell then pack your sunscreen, nothing is nothing, etc etc - which is great but it's too easy and there are too many selfish people for death to agree to that.

I'm more of there's fuck all, we just go back to the dirt of the earth that made us - which also kind of makes you think what's the fucking point, nihilists are never the life of the party.

Some days I look at it and think, well all creatures have energy and energy cannot be destroyed, it just transfers to a different form of energy, so maybe our energy is just redistributed to other creatures born when we pass, yes it's a bit close to reincarnation but it could also explain why so many people all seem to think they were Cleopatra in a previous life.

No one is looking to be converted to the Hillsong church you're a member of, so please remember that but I am interested in what others think?

I think this depends on the extent to which one believes that there is a spiritual dimension to the universe. I am not religious, but I do believe this - there are enough signs of it to convince me. So I have thought to myself at times, what would the 'rules' for a spiritual component to reality look like - and I think I sort of settled on them being likely similar to the physical universe. So when we die, our physical body is broken down and transformed/recycled into other materials or lifeforms, they continue to be 'used' as part of physical reality. I think I believe that the same would therefore be true of our spiritual energy. It is broken down and returned to the 'whole', whatever that is. I do not believe we would retain consciousness or any real sense of ourselves as an individual, but I do think there would be a great peace in the restoration of our spirits with the wider sea of energies.

I also feel that the decisions we take over the course of our lives influence the flavour of energy returned. If we are broken people with significant damage, we return energy that carries that damage, thus harming the overall whole. We therefore have a responsibility to work on ourselves and our pain so that what we return to the sea is as pure as possible.

Sorry for being late to the thread on this, I do appreciate it's moved on a bit.

13 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

My old man’s last days were absolutely awful. 
 He’d refused treatment for the same reasons as Ms. Rigg, it was delaying the inevitable and he didn’t want his remaining time spent being ill from drugs and radiotherapy. 

He stuck with that choice, and then chose not to go in to hospital at the end, after Covid had hit, as he didn’t want to die alone. 

It took some time, the end, and he was conscious for a the majority of it. 

All the visiting nurses could offer was painkillers of increasing strength. 

Once he’d lost his faculties, and was on morphine, I asked the nurses if they could “accidentally” leave an overdose worth that I could give him. 

Whilst very sympathetic, they obviously couldn’t. 

As a result*, my Dad’s last days were spent gasping for breath as his lungs filled up, whilst slowly starving, and eventually unable to take on any fluid. 

It was fucking brutal. 

All because some cunts who believes in sky fairys thinks it’d be a sin to let people go out with dignity on their own terms, and no PM has had the stones to fight for it. 

* I’m not blaming the nurses in any way here, just stating what the result of not being able to hasten the process leads to. 

Really sorry to hear this mate, it’s just awful and I dread the day i’m confronted with a similar situation. We treat animals with more respect in this country. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

We treat animals with more respect in this country. 

Aye, if we put a dog through the same we’d rightly be charged with cruelty. 

It’s utterly insane that a process which has been safely introduced in other countries can’t be done here. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, if we put a dog through the same we’d rightly be charged with cruelty. 

It’s utterly insane that a process which has been safely introduced in other countries can’t be done here. 

Sorry to hear this about your dad, no-one should ever have to suffer like that.

Initially I thought maybe it's the Royal family and the fact that they are a bunch of bible bashing fucktards, who'd put pressure on government to prevent this sort of thing. However, if it's practised down under then I'm probably wrong in that, so can't understand why it isn't something we do here. 

Surely, it's a bit of a win win for the NHS, and the people who wish to use the service. The burden on the NHS in terms of treatments, and number of long term patients would reduce, as would waiting lists etc - and the people with terminal illness can go out on their own terms, peacefully, without pain and without prolonging the misery for them and their families.

I think there's a view that if the person involved can't make the decision themselves or those set to "benefit" bring undue pressure to bear then it's questionable which is reasonable. 

However I think allowing it with sensible checks would be a starting point once the fuckwits are ignored. 

9 minutes ago, NJS said:

I think there's a view that if the person involved can't make the decision themselves or those set to "benefit" bring undue pressure to bear then it's questionable which is reasonable. 

You have to have capacity and a couple of doctors to confirm. But I suppose pressure can be brought to bear. 

12 minutes ago, NJS said:

However I think allowing it with sensible checks would be a starting point once the fuckwits are ignored. 

That makes sense but considering not many go out without leaving much to benefit from I think for the majority this would come down to their own decision, and whether they are of sound mind to make it.

I think if a millionaire/billionaire gets a terminal illness and wishes to use the service they'd just fuck off to Switzerland to do it anyway. However, for those middlest of classes caught in between the have a lots and the have nots, a bit of due diligence from the doctors wouldn't go amiss. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJS said:

Agreed. 

In my Dad’s particular case, he was gone, as a cognitive , aware person, just his body was fighting like fuck to stay alive. 
At that stage, there should be the option to end it kindly and quickly. 

When you’re looking at degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s or Lewy Bodies Disease, where the mental capacity of the declines over time, then I can see that a more stringent set of checks and guidelines would be needed to avoid cases of abuse- you’ve just got to look at the family of that Capt.Tom to see how venal people can be with dead and dying relative’s money. 

None of which should stop the option being there for people who’ve just had enough pain, loss of dignity etc. 

• Like 2

there aren't many things that scare me as much as the prospect of a long, slow decline towards death, losing faculties and being a burden to my kids. i'm going to get a massive stash of all the drugs i was too scared to ever try and go out in style long before i get to that point 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

there aren't many things that scare me as much as the prospect of a long, slow decline towards death, losing faculties and being a burden to my kids. i'm going to get a massive stash of all the drugs i was too scared to ever try and go out in style long before i get to that point 

Go out on a fear and loathing style road trip, I like it.

Fear And Liathing GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2