General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I drive through Seaton SLuice 3 times a week nowadays, I'll make sure to give Reg a wave.

Talking of which, I stopped off for chips at the Harbour View on Saturday. Not good, would have been okay in the 90s but time has moved on elsewhere. 4/10. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Howay Rents, that was so long ago you were still using the barter system. Your first house cost you 3 seagull carcasses, which is three times it's value, which is why you hate them now.

I get your point, but I read somewhere that an electric car would save you about £4k a year. Also Electric cars didn't come out this year, so there'll be good standard second hand ones out there. I'm a moron when it comes to cars, but surely, with fewer moving parts there are less things to go wrong with an electric car, and the bigger issues (battery) will certainly have big old warning lights going off if it's fucked, right?

How much does it cost to change a car battery? Has this been factored in. I need to change mine on my phone after 3 years after all. No way is an EV saving you any money at the moment imo. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I drive through Seaton SLuice 3 times a week nowadays, I'll make sure to give Reg a wave.

Talking of which, I stopped off for chips at the Harbour View on Saturday. Not good, would have been okay in the 90s but time has moved on elsewhere. 4/10. 

When did they move from Blyth? 

Aren't EVs pretty much going to be the only car available come 2030? I'm all for saving the environment and all that shite but when an EV is much more expensive than a comparable diesel or petrol then there's no chance I'm getting one.

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Won’t the price drop though, when they’re all that’s available? 

In theory, but I reckon the UK will end up like Cuba. If you go there, what you'll find is that they have kept US 1950s cars going since they were embargoed in the days of Castro. It's quite impressive tbh, with a few soviet era Ladas throwen in.  It'll be like that here only with Fords and Citroens, chugging along on spent chip shop oil. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Renton said:

How much does it cost to change a car battery? Has this been factored in. I need to change mine on my phone after 3 years after all. No way is an EV saving you any money at the moment imo. 

7 years, apparently.

I just got my first ever hybrid. It's only a "mild hybrid" - no need to plug in, charges a battery when the car is slowing down and employs that battery when you're accelerating - but I get 125% of the miles out of one tank of petrol than I was getting from the equivalent petrol model of the same car. 

Which given current prices is canny. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 2

You can get a smaller home charger than 10kw, but anything smaller is unlikely to charge your batteries from <30% to full overnight. That’s the size of a family shower, so with the price of energy rocketing I’d think twice tbh, maybe get a hybrid where the engine charges the batteries? @Renton

41 minutes ago, Renton said:

Used to think it was excellent, then I went further afield and discovered it was adequate, at best. If Seaton Sluice was in Cornwall or on the south coast it'd be awash with coffeeshops and little curio shops because of the beach, harbour and the dene. But cursed by geography, it's going to be a pretty place for people to spend their retirement getting progressively right wing, in.

My Dad's got hopes that the investment in Blyth will trickle down. 

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You can get a smaller home charger than 10kw, but anything smaller is unlikely to charge your batteries from <30% to full overnight. That’s the size of a family shower, so with the price of energy rocketing I’d think twice tbh, maybe get a hybrid where the engine charges the batteries? @Renton

I'm not in a rush like, my car is relatively new, just highlighting the news today its as much to "fill" an EV as a petrol car which I found shocking. Honestly, I think I will just keep my car running for as long as possible. I only drive to Seaton Sluice to crtitque their takeaways nowadays anyway. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

The only trickle down you'll get from Blyth is loose faeces, pish, and vommitus I'd think. Paraphrasing my alias a bit here. 

I understand his thinking, the new giga-factory, plus the stuff around energy should provide more jobs and the hope is that the better paid jobs will mean people will want somewhere to live and spend their money. With SS being down the road the hope is that it'll benefit, but honestly? It'll remain a retirement village for the foreseeable.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I understand his thinking, the new giga-factory, plus the stuff around energy should provide more jobs and the hope is that the better paid jobs will mean people will want somewhere to live and spend their money. With SS being down the road the hope is that it'll benefit, but honestly? It'll remain a retirement village for the foreseeable.

Chez Given will come back and buy Seaton Delavel Hall and employ everyone in Seaton Sluice as his serfs and champagne fluffers. 

[I went to SD hall recently after the rennovation, they've actually done a great job, well worth the admission]

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

Chez Given will come back and buy Seaton Delavel Hall and employ everyone in Seaton Sluice as his serfs and champagne fluffers. 

[I went to SD hall recently after the rennovation, they've actually done a great job, well worth the admission]

Not been in it since the revamp. Did hear that they serve Arrichis ice cream, so there's that.

35 minutes ago, The Fish said:

There's a few at my place seem to think they'll be going to that new factory without enquiring about terms, conditions and whether they'll actually be wanted although apparently there's been talks between the two companies about cherry picking, sorry, recruitment, when my place shuts. 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

There's a few at my place seem to think they'll be going to that new factory without enquiring about terms, conditions and whether they'll actually be wanted although apparently there's been talks between the two companies about cherry picking, sorry, recruitment, when my place shuts. 

Well, given the amount of time you spend on here, I can only assume you'll be first in the queue to be picked up ;)

How many jobs are they projecting that place will actually create? Like, are they killing 1,000 positions in one place and 'creating' 1,000 jobs in another?

• Haha 1

Hearing  the theme to Curb Your Enthusiasm reminds me of a Netflix murder documentary called Long Shot I was watching the other week. The bloke accused insisted he was at the Dodgers stadium through chance, he was spotted on footage from Curb Your Enthusiasm as Larry David was just happening to film there thus providing him with his alibi. 

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Well, given the amount of time you spend on here, I can only assume you'll be first in the queue to be picked up ;)

How many jobs are they projecting that place will actually create? Like, are they killing 1,000 positions in one place and 'creating' 1,000 jobs in another?

I've no idea how many, no idea about anything to do with the place, especially as it isn't an established local company so I'm not wetting my knickers about potentially going there. (Don't really fancy factory work/shift work anymore, to be honest as I've done my share). :good:

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've no idea how many, no idea about anything to do with the place, especially as it isn't an established local company so I'm not wetting my knickers about potentially going there. (Don't really fancy factory work/shift work anymore, to be honest as I've done my share). :good:

:lol: All I've heard about it, is that it's making car batteries(?) so Renton can pop along and buy a new one that's 'farm fresh'.

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

:lol: All I've heard about it, is that it's making car batteries(?) so Renton can pop along and buy a new one that's 'farm fresh'.

Was thinking more along the lines of T&Cs, is it viable? Is it a glorified sweatshop? What kind of shift pattern do they operate? Who owns them and what's their record like with employees? Is it unionised? Are there any perks? I couldn't give a fuck about the actual job, I'd sharp pick that up. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Was thinking more along the lines of T&Cs, is it viable? Is it a glorified sweatshop? What kind of shift pattern do they operate? Who owns them and what's their record like with employees? Is it unionised? Are there any perks? I couldn't give a fuck about the actual job, I'd sharp pick that up. :lol:

:lol: No idea. I heard there's team building singing groups and that the uniforms are snazzy;

1*XydtvoCWDK0-cSM3fBzMyQ.jpeg

• Haha 4