General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

8 hours ago, The Fish said:

I get two lots of two months paternity leave, I have to be in work for at least 2 months between them, but I'm going to take two months at the beginning (March) and the other bit in early 2025. Also when I finish that second spell I return to work on an 80% hrs/100% pay split for 6 months. 

It's brilliant support and makes handling childcare so much more affordable and easy. It isn't as good as some of the Scandi countries though. 

Where I used to work I got two weeks paid paternity at the paltry statutory level. Any additional was unpaid. So for eldest then the twins that’s all I took / all I could afford. 
Then when they temporarily lost a big customer they instantly made about two thirds of the workforce (me included) redundant at the statutory rates again. It’s quite a small company (c. 20 people before that happened). Funny how you find out what people are really like. And one of the directors let slip they had about £5m quid in the company bank account just before I left. Good fucking riddance in the end but it didn’t feel like that at the time.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your announcement. Congratulations, mate :) 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Where I used to work I got two weeks paid paternity at the paltry statutory level. Any additional was unpaid. So for eldest then the twins that’s all I took / all I could afford. 
Then when they temporarily lost a big customer they instantly made about two thirds of the workforce (me included) redundant at the statutory rates again. It’s quite a small company (c. 20 people before that happened). Funny how you find out what people are really like. And one of the directors let slip they had about £5m quid in the company accounts just before I left. Good fucking riddance in the end but it didn’t feel like that at the time.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your announcement. Congratulations, mate :) 

How long ago was this? The pressure must be building on all companies to provide decent parental leave these days, right?

Mind you, my mate works in the states and what they get over there is fucking risible. 

Might be wrong, but I think they are allowed 12 weeks unpaid parental leave. 

The wife is taking about a year; some of it full pay, some statutory, and some unpaid. But the company calculated the total amount and spread it evenly across the duration of the leave. Again, shit like this makes it easier to budget, and reduces the stress significantly. 

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

How long ago was this? The pressure must be building on all companies to provide decent parental leave these days, right?

Mind you, my mate works in the states and what they get over there is fucking risible. 

The wife is taking about a year; some of it full pay, some statutory, and some unpaid. But the company calculated the total amount and spread it evenly across the duration of the leave. Again, shit like this makes it easier to budget, and reduces the stress significantly. 

Over a decade, then a bit less. It was ‘funny’ because there were 3 directors. 2 major shareholders and a minor one. One of the former, who was a sound fella, retired after his grandson was diagnosed with autism and the place changed almost overnight. Ironically the big customer was lost because of the minor shareholder. Who is still there of course :lol: It all worked out for the best though 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I mean there's already far too many of us, but aye congratulations I suppose.

Well there’s one of you, so I would have to agree 

• Haha 1

Aw Jesus cunting fuck. Just been alerted by Mrs B who saw a "really fucking massive wasp" at the top of the stairs in our new house. Got there in time to see something drop from the ceiling and then just fucking vanish.

Fucking February in Scotland. I was liking this house but now I'm gonnae need to climb into the bastard loft and actively look for a fucking wasps nest. Global warming can fuckoff. As can wasps. 

13 hours ago, The Fish said:

The land of the free = the land of no free time.

and congrats !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

There are never enough mes though.

Eldest is already a loquacious braggart so job done on that front.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

According to Elon Musk populations are in decline and are the greatest threat to humanity.

I cant be arsed to check this though. Im more concerned about single use plastic in the ocean.

Edited by Holden McGroin

I know the birth rate is meant to be too low in this country so we're headed for an ageing population with not enough people to wipe their arses.

Luckily I keep a tight ship back there and I don't see that changing in my twilight years.

12 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Aw Jesus cunting fuck. Just been alerted by Mrs B who saw a "really fucking massive wasp" at the top of the stairs in our new house. Got there in time to see something drop from the ceiling and then just fucking vanish.

Fucking February in Scotland. I was liking this house but now I'm gonnae need to climb into the bastard loft and actively look for a fucking wasps nest. Global warming can fuckoff. As can wasps. 

When I had a wasps nest I paid the council to take care of it. £30 iirc. Mind that was I. 2006 so probably £3392 now. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

According to Elon Musk populations are in decline and are the greatest threat to humanity.

I cant be arsed to check this though. Im more concerned about single use plastic in the ocean.

The only thing you need to know about Elon Musk is that he’s a cunt 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

The land of the free = the land of no free time.

and congrats !

A lot of companies here are merging or being bought out by American firms or private equity and importing their fucking disgusting working rights practices here. We'll see how this pans out, in my industry the best people will simply move to a UK or European based job. 

The place I just moved to as recently as last year implemented a new policy whereby you can just book no-questions-asked time off if you've got something going on in your life.

So if something happens to a family member or you need to take time off for your own mental health or anything. You just tell your boss, book it in the system, and off you go.

I was amazed, given the way the rest of the country is going.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

The place I just moved to as recently as last year implemented a new policy whereby you can just book no-questions-asked time off if you've got something going on in your life.

So if something happens to a family member or you need to take time off for your own mental health or anything. You just tell your boss, book it in the system, and off you go.

I was amazed, given the way the rest of the country is going.

TBF every job I've had has been like that, at least unofficially, if you have a decent line manager. Aren't they called "personal days" in the US? What I would be wary of is how much you can use it. Think in the states you get about 5 a year and they count as your a/l which is often a total of 10 days a year. No way could I hack that.