General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

There's a wider cultural shift since the shut down of industry in this country. Millions of young lads in the 60s/70s/80s knew there was a job waiting for them in a mine/shipyard/steel factory. That's not the case anymore. And since those places shut, so did the working men's clubs, bingo halls, pubs and the communities that went with them.

Some of this stuff isn't rocket science. A job 40hrs a week, money in your pocket and a place to de-stress after work is enough to keep a lot of people "mentally well". We are seeing 3rd generation fall out from the damage Thatcher did to this country in the 80s. 

That, combined with her destroying social housing, is her legacy, the horrible cunt that she was. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

That, combined with her destroying social housing, is her legacy, the horrible cunt that she was. 

The UK was one of the most balanced countries in Europe before that cancerous witch slag came to power

• Like 1

On topic though, I think there does need to be a balance.  We shouldn't be lambasting younger ones for taking time off sick for being stressed, but it also shouldn't be an 'easy' out.  The latter, I don't think is.

24 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

On topic though, I think there does need to be a balance.  We shouldn't be lambasting younger ones for taking time off sick for being stressed, but it also shouldn't be an 'easy' out.  The latter, I don't think is.

Just to clarify (for my regulatory board) I don't think that people taking days off because they feel unwell with their mental health are all lazy bastards :lol: 

• Haha 2

Bit too close to home that tbh. But since Dan died and I’ve obviously become more sensitive to it, it’s utterly tragic how many young men end their own lives for no apparent “good” reason, it’s a fucking epidemic.

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Aye some great quotes from Kinnock. Southern England were never having him though, they were being told what to think by Kelvin McKenzie at the time. My 75 year old MIL hates the Welsh with a vengeance 😏

Kinnock’s “I warn you not to…” speech is a work of art. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

The UK was one of the most balanced countries in Europe before that cancerous witch slag came to power

Everyone one is lead to believe the 70s were shit bit the late 1970s was the time when this country had the smallest ever gap between the richest and the poorest. She sorted that out and we’re still feeling the fallout. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

There's a wider cultural shift since the shut down of industry in this country. Millions of young lads in the 60s/70s/80s knew there was a job waiting for them in a mine/shipyard/steel factory. That's not the case anymore. And since those places shut, so did the working men's clubs, bingo halls, pubs and the communities that went with them.

Some of this stuff isn't rocket science. A job 40hrs a week, money in your pocket and a place to de-stress after work is enough to keep a lot of people "mentally well". We are seeing 3rd generation fall out from the damage Thatcher did to this country in the 80s. 

Pure coincidence, but I watched Ken Loach's "The Old Oak" this morning. Literally set against the backdrop of all of the above. 

• Like 2

Just got the metro home. A couple of smoggies in with a lass. Pure scum, off their tits, drinking, talking about the drugs they’re coming up on. Shouting aggressively. Because they obviously can’t not. People scared to even look at them. The one I got a look at had a massive fresh bump and cut on his forehead. Just what people want going home from work. But what really boiled my piss was two coppers (lads in their twenties) got on the same carriage with me at the same time and basically stood at the far end and pretended they’d not noticed the bother. It took all my willpower not to walk down and ask if they fancied doing their fucking jobs as I was getting off. But they’d have liked nothing more than to make me the issue. So I went down as I was getting off and let the police know they needed to have a look down the carriage. Aye, I know - grass - :razz: no wonder people have zero fucking respect for the coppers 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just got the metro home. A couple of smoggies in with a lass. Pure scum, off their tits, drinking, talking about the drugs they’re coming up on. Shouting aggressively. Because they obviously can’t not. People scared to even look at them. The one I got a look at had a massive fresh bump and cut on his forehead. Just what people want going home from work. But what really boiled my piss was two coppers (lads in their twenties) got on the same carriage with me at the same time and basically stood at the far end and pretended they’d not noticed the bother. It took all my willpower not to walk down and ask if they fancied doing their fucking jobs as I was getting off. But they’d have liked nothing more than to make me the issue. So I went down as I was getting off and let the police know they needed to have a look down the carriage. Aye, I know - grass - :razz: no wonder people have zero fucking respect for the coppers 

That's the posh way too. I'm out with work tonight so will be navigating this at an even worse time. Even coming in in the morning the Shields way can create anxiety nowadays. Some absolute detritus get on, just randomly hassling people, or dropping off spiced out and unconcious. At 8am.  The only time I feel safe on the metro is after a match which is ironic given the rep of football fans (mainly middle age, middle class, like me).

• Like 2

I was literally going two stops and getting off (and they weren’t) so I was safe. And I can understand people not wanting to draw attention to themselves mentioning it. But the noise they were making, it was unavoidable. People on with kids and that as well. One of the coppers actually said ‘who?’ Potentially endangering me for pointing it out and was about to step off the metro before I said to them it was people further down the same carriage not on the platform. Useless fucking cunts. I’m of the opinion they’ll have done fuck all even after that and hoped the trouble makers got off soon so it wasn’t their problem. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I like the gaggle of Indian lads in hi-viz vests that get on at North Shields, stare at their phones while full chaos erupts around them and get off at Meadowell

Aye, the metro security are fucking useless like. I might’ve mentioned it on here before but there were about 6 of them at four lane ends one time just stood next to this lass smoking a tab. She said something like ‘I’ll just finished this off’. Which, like her smoking, they just completely ignored. This other lad, nearby, just turned to them and said “Here, what do yous actually do?” :lol: 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Does anyone else have a major race named after the village they were brought up in? 😀

IMG_3902.jpeg

You must have some fun memories of your childhood in Handicap. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Does anyone else have a major race named after the village they were brought up in? 😀

IMG_3902.jpeg

People from Derby ;) 

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Team GB has got some top new indoor world champion pole vaulting clacker.

And you wonder why there's so few females posting. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

IMG_3902.jpeg

Did six horses actually finish?

Steeplechases and hurdles are ridiculous carnage for racing horses.

38 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

And you wonder why there's so few females posting. 

Jess Ennis has just said her throat is hurting cos there was so much action in last night's session. Good lass.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Did six horses actually finish?

Steeplechases and hurdles are ridiculous carnage for racing horses.

It was a huge field for a hurdles race at a non elite course, 17. This was very likely due to the  sponsors boosting the prize fund so it paid more than the equivalent (2 mile) hurdles race at National Hunt’s premier racing festival at Cheltenham later this month. As far as I could make out all horses finished. 

Morebattle Hurdle named after this rural backwater :) 

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/yetholm/morebattle/index.html#google_vignette

18 hours ago, Alex said:

People from Derby ;) 

Not a village. A Burgh of the “Danelaw”878-927 CE so hasn’t been for a fuckin long time :D 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 1