Owen out for 5 months

Ted Maul

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been out all day so only just heard the bad news, though of course it was expected. Tbh, im so gutted i tried to push it out of my mind in a vain attempt to believe today the news would be good :D Yes, i know im sad deluded person :lol:

Gutted for us and England, but most of all for Michael himself, he must be feeling rock bottom poor lad ;)

If it's his anterior cruciate then he'll probably need reconstructive surgery and full recovery at Premiership level would probably be 9 months to a year, but full and absolute recovery is rare in those cased.  A better (!) scenario is if he's torn some meniscus or something but we won't know til the scan results are revealed.

151644[/snapback]

A full recovery in 5-6 months is quite possible. I had mine operation excactly one year ago and was allowed to do full sports again in December. The biggest problem normally is rather the lack of match practice which means you need another couple of months to rediscover your form.

151708[/snapback]

I reckon rediscovering your form as a chubby, bespectacled German lecturer is a different kettle of fish tbh. :lol:

151728[/snapback]

Pah, there isn't that much of a difference between kicking a ball and kicking students into the balls for giving wrong answers... :D

Hamstring could be used in Owen op

One of Michael Owen's troublesome hamstrings could be used in the operation on his ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

Owen, 26, has had problems with his hamstrings since 1999 when he missed three months of the season, but he damaged his knee in the first minute of England's clash with Sweden.

His anterior cruciate - cross-shaped ligaments within the knee-joint - will require surgery and the most popular method is using the hamstring to help repair the knee.

"They have had artificial ligaments but using a bit of your hamstring is the most popular method," said Amanda Marsh, clinical lead physiotherapist at Guy's and St Thomas'.

"They take a bit of tendon and, using key-hole surgery, thread it through and screw it. That is the most popular but the other option is using the patella tendon just below the knee cap."

Marsh believes recovery can take between four and 12 months, although former England international Paul Gascoigne was out for 16 months when he damaged his knee during the 1991 FA Cup final.

"There are a lot of variables when estimating recovery time," added Marsh.

"Four months would be a minimum and six months would be a great result for a return to elite level sport."

Marsh described the psychological impact of the injury as "massive", adding: "One criteria of people returning is having confidence in the knee, especially as a footballer asking 'will it go again'.

"He will have to have 90% strength in it and have confidence before returning."

His anterior cruciate - cross-shaped ligaments within the knee-joint - will require surgery and the most popular method is using the hamstring to help repair the knee.

"They take a bit of tendon and, using key-hole surgery, thread it through and screw it. That is the most popular but the other option is using the patella tendon just below the knee cap."

151835[/snapback]

:lol:

151835[/snapback]

:D

151840[/snapback]

That's the kinda stuff that really fascinates me about surgery tbh. :lol:

owen.jpg

151850[/snapback]

FFS Pud, you're not saying he's injured his left knee too are you ??

:D

151863[/snapback]

It's called artistic licence you philistine.

151864[/snapback]

I thought it was called a schoolboy error

:lol:

Hamstring could be used in Owen op

One of Michael Owen's troublesome hamstrings could be used in the operation on his ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

Owen, 26, has had problems with his hamstrings since 1999 when he missed three months of the season, but he damaged his knee in the first minute of England's clash with Sweden.

"They have had artificial ligaments but using a bit of your hamstring is the most popular method," said Amanda Marsh, clinical lead physiotherapist at Guy's and St Thomas'.

Marsh believes recovery can take between four and 12 months, although former England international Paul Gascoigne was out for 16 months when he damaged his knee during the 1991 FA Cup final.

"There are a lot of variables when estimating recovery time," added Marsh.

"Four months would be a minimum and six months would be a great result for a return to elite level sport."

Marsh described the psychological impact of the injury as "massive", adding: "One criteria of people returning is having confidence in the knee, especially as a footballer asking 'will it go again'.

"He will have to have 90% strength in it and have confidence before returning."

151835[/snapback]

Something strangely ironic about using his hamstring to mend his knee, given his history with hamstring problems.

The psychological aspect must be terriying though, particularly as it was caused by such a seemingly innocuous twist. I'd be scared to get out of bed....

Superb !

:lol:  :D

151879[/snapback]

that was it?

you've been replying for about 20 minutes and we get one word and two smilies ;)

151883[/snapback]

I know, I was using her steam powered lap top, I gave up when it started smoking !

having a go at owen over his injuries is out of order.

he's suffered a nightmare injury. i think it's unfair to question his commitment. he's always put in 100% for us whenever i've seen him in black and white. the lad is just unlucky.

151583[/snapback]

You're right it's wrong to have a go at him personally for his injuries, something I have done and which I apologise for. However, you have to question the logic of signing a player who is injury prone with money we can't really afford. I know his previous set backs have been fairly minor, but the fact is he has a poor injury record overall and consequently has never scored 20 league goals in a season.

We put all our eggs in one basket and bought a trophy player, partly to appease the fans into renewing season tickets, although I agree we were desperate for a striker. Now we are paying the price.

Now, what happens if he never really recovers? Similar injuries have happened to Shearer and Van Horsehead, but they have more to their game than Owen and didn't rely on pace as much. Worst case scenario is we're kissing good bye to the thick end of £25M.

151609[/snapback]

I don't question the logic of signing a world class player - that costs a lot of money, admittedly. He has suffered from injury in the past, but his recent injuries have been plain unfortunate, it's not as if he's recently been having recurrent hamstring problems.

151887[/snapback]

Agreed they have both been accidental rather than due to an inherant medical condition.

Roeder must be wondering exactly how long he has to be NUFC manager before he gets to use Michael Owen (apart from about 30 mins against Brum).

Its just typical NUFC luck, two freak injuries the likes of which could only happen to a player we'd spent shitloads on!

Its different to saying he's injury prone, i don't have his record to hand but i'd bet in recent years he has a pretty decent record of games played (or games available to play when at Madrid) and isn't close to being as bad as some people would suggest. But theres nothing you can do about random inuries like this.

Take away pace from Owen and he's got bugger all else.

I can only see him becoming increasingly ineffective as the injuries and years go on.

Will he be the same player after this injury?

151910[/snapback]

Same player as what? Im fooked if I can remember what he looks like (apart from sitting in some blokes cupboard while they eat pizza) never mind how he plays.