Hobbies.

catmag

25 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m a tad surprised that some of you haven’t given beer making a go.

It's hardly a hobby given that the principle activity is "waiting".

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m a tad surprised that some of you haven’t given beer making a go.

The quality, quantity, variety, availability and price of the decent - good stuff to me makes home brew cost more than store bought. And it's always rank.

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's hardly a hobby given that the principle activity is "waiting".

Aye, it's basically smelly meditating.  

20 minutes ago, adios said:

What do you get up to in your "hobby time", HMHM?  Other than the obvious.

What hobby time is that? :lol:

Shift work doesn't really help with hobbies and in between doing jobs round the house, cooking, giving lifts etc I don't have tons of time. I go out for the odd drink and go to the match. Sometimes I'll take the family out for something to eat. It's all fucking go round here, I'm telling you! :D

I'm a bit envious of those that enjoy hobbies tbh although it depends on what their hobby is as well, like. ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

What hobby time is that? :lol:

Shift work doesn't really help with hobbies and in between doing jobs round the house, cooking, giving lifts etc I don't have tons of time. I go out for the odd drink and go to the match. Sometimes I'll take the family out for something to eat. It's all fucking go round here, I'm telling you! :D

I'm a bit envious of those that enjoy hobbies tbh although it depends on what their hobby is as well, like. ;)

This is me like, and I don't even do shift work.

However, now I know draining your prostate gland counts I can confirm I am a very active hobbyist. B)

Edited by Renton

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is me like, and I don't even do shift work.

However, now I know draining your prostate gland counts I can confirm I am a very active hobbyist. B)

Doing fuck all and relaxing with a drink is a hobby I need to spend a bit more time at if I can.

I haven't got time / can't be arsed as I'm knackered when I do get a spare minute. I don't really think reading on the metro and watching box sets really counts. I'm still pretty obsessed with music though and love discovering new stuff (even if it's old, if you know what I mean).

I didn't really make time for a long while but I actually have it on my daily schedule now to play a game or something similar.  The workout stuff is also obviously part of the daily routine.

Funny enough, the hobby side of things was one of the tasks I found myself most resistant to initially.

We'll have to have a game at some point. 

I've been trying to get into it properly.  Started off by reading what is basically a kids' book (Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess) and then moved straight on to Nimzo's My System which is...dense, to put it mildly.  I've probably read about 20 pages. :lol:  

I used to play at school (stop laughing at the back) and got back into it a couple of years ago. I'm a member on Chess.com. I play a bit of daily chess, i.e. 3 days per move in team matches but most 3 minute blitz. I'm ok but really should read some books to progress but it does tend to go from 'these are the rules' type of things to some pretty deep shit with regard to the books. As an aside it's mental watching GMs and IMs playing 1 minute bullet games where they make about 50+ moves but the standard is still ridiculously high. If you like that sort of thing.

Aye, I played a bit as a kid vs the father/brothers but hadn't played in a couple decades up until recently.

I just decided I should take something like this seriously (as a hobby) and it was between this and Go and I just don't like the Chinese very much.

• Haha 1

I'm not even at a level where I can comprehend Blitz.  A friend of mine is proper good at it and beat me so badly I was traumatised for a long time.

Can't play it for money online because it's been solved for years.  That's about all I know other than the Amiga version was fucking rigged. <_<  

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Hey nerds what's backgammon like? Does it have to be played for money for the game to work? 

Great game, and no it doesn’t. 

I used play for spliffs when I was a smelly hippy living in a tent :D

I’m sure I’ve already told this thrilling tale, but I was stuck on Shell Island in Wales for a month or so with two other lads, we had backgammon matches but got sick of having to wait whilst the other two played, so we came up with a three person version, designed and made the board, pieces etc, then settled down to play.…

… three hours later, having narrowly avoided chinning each other out of frustrstion when someone landed on your last piece, we decided it was better as a two man game :D