Martins set for Newcastle move

Scottish Mag

anyone know owt about Freddy Eastwood?

182917[/snapback]

Nothing other than that his parents missed a trick when they named him.

182918[/snapback]

Freddy Eastwood (born October 29, 1983 in Basildon, Essex) is a English striker currently playing for Southend United. He began his senior career as a West Ham United Academy player after turning down an offer of a scholarship at Southend, where he had been a promising youth player. However he was unable to break into the first team at Upton Park and joined Conference side Grays Athletic in the summer of 2003. He scored 37 goals in his first season with the Essex-based side, prompting attention from a number of professional clubs including Swindon Town and Charlton Athletic as well as Southend United. He has been linked with a move to Derby County but Southend rejected a £1 million bid.

He joined the Shrimpers on 4 October 2004, initially on loan. He made his debut for the club in spectacular style on 16 October 2004 when Southend United took on Swansea City, at the time sitting comfortable at the top of the League Two table. Eastwood scored the opener after just 7.7 seconds and went on to score two more to record his first of three hat-trick for Southend United in a 4-2 win for the Shrimpers. He joined the Shrimpers on a permanent basis on 4 November 2005 for an undisclosed fee in a three-year deal which is thought to include a hefty sell-on fee for Grays.

He finished the 2004-05 season with 24 goals (19 lge, 5 LDV) from 42 appearances in all competitions and scored the opening goal in his club's 2-0 defeat of Lincoln City in the League Two Play-off Final at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on 28 May 2005 that resulted in promotion for Southend United.

On 2nd January 2006 he scored Southend United's 2000th League goal when he smashed home the late winner against Blackpool at Bloomfield Road as the Shrimpers continued to take League One by storm.

His prowess in front of goal means that he has attracted interest from a number of clubs, including Championship sides Norwich City and Derby County.

At the end of the 2005-06 season, Freddy was joint 18th in Southend's all time leading goal scorers list with 49 goals, 45 of which were in the league, 2 in the FA Cup and 2 in the LDV Vans Trophy. But at the rate he is scoring goals he could easily become one of the highest goalscorers in Southends one hundred year history.

On 29th April 2006, Freddy scored 2 goals at Swansea to earn Southend a 2-2 draw, which earned Southend promotion to the Championship.

Eastwood was joint top scorer with Billy Sharp in League One in 2005-06 with 23 goals.

For the Championship opener game against Stoke City FC - Freddy Eastwood scored his 50th goal which resulted in a 1-0 victory.

.....so now you know

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

182917[/snapback]

Scunthorpe nearly signed him before he went to Southend, but they offered more wages. Seen him play quite a few times, but I think he'd be out of his depth in the Premiership. Would rather have Nugent (another player who Scunthorpe nearly signed).

182917[/snapback]

Scunthorpe nearly signed him before he went to Southend, but they offered more wages. Seen him play quite a few times, but I think he'd be out of his depth in the Premiership. Would rather have Nugent (another player who Scunthorpe nearly signed).

182933[/snapback]

Maybe we should start by signing Scunthorpe's scouts?

Wonder what number he'll get, if he signs that is.

182688[/snapback]

It'll be interesting if he doesn't take the No. 9 shirt, if he signs that is...

182728[/snapback]

Gotta be the no.30 shirt shirley? Leaving the no.9 available for another striker? :blush:

How pissed of is Shola going to be if they leave no.9 vacant for the season rather than offer it to him? :blush:

I just reat it at NUFC.co.uk and i'm double-minded...

I mean,who the hell is this guy?

Maybe I'm not very well informed about italian football but i've never heard of him... :blush:

Anyway...

on 2th next month there is a nice friendly in Germany!

Germany - Ireland

Howay Damien & co  :blush:

182889[/snapback]

Please tell me you're not serious with what you've got in your sig? :blush:

Breaking NEWS!!

Shearer to sign for Newcastle in £15m deal!!

182972[/snapback]

Never heard of the lad, to be fair...

182987[/snapback]

Rumour has it that Scunthorp were trying to sign him. Apparently :blush:

183031[/snapback]

Shearer used to play for us.

Different one like, but he was quality.

I hppe Portly Freddie has told them (Martins and his agent) to give us an answer tomorrow - at the latest.  We don't want to be hanging around for days on end as the transfer window is open.

183181[/snapback]

Thats a great plan unless he says no

183186[/snapback]

If he says no, then tough! We're Geordies, hard as nails and just caus some lad says he doesn't want to come will not make us pause mid-sip of our pints ;)

Ob, yes or no?

Roeder due on SSN after 10am to discuss the signing of Martins. Can one of our resident student gypsies keep us updated please? Always assuming they're awake by then.

According to the Times he's said he'll join us tomorrow btw.

Roeder due on SSN after 10am to discuss the signing of Martins.  Can one of our resident student gypsies keep us updated please?  Always assuming they're awake by then.

183356[/snapback]

I sincerely hope they're right. I would be delighted to hear it from himself today though; until we hear it from the horse's mouth I will be a little nervous.

From the Journal -

Glenn Roeder was anxiously waiting for a final decision from Obafemi Martins last night after Portsmouth made a last-ditch attempt to hijack Newcastle's £10m bid for the Nigerian international.

United remain confident they will finally complete the signing of the first of two new strikers before their trip to Aston Villa at the weekend. But Pompey's efforts to disrupt the deal by offering extravagant personal terms to the Inter Milan frontman have been an unwanted worry in what has already been a lengthy and frustrating pursuit of new recruits.

The Magpies agreed a fee for Martins yesterday but have been unable to confirm the capture of the highly-rated 21-year-old because his agent had returned to Italy to discuss the move with him.

In an era of mass global communication it appeared to be a strange sort of delay to the transfer, given the fact the player had already claimed on Monday that 80% of the discussions had already been completed.

And the last thing Newcastle need after losing out to Liverpool in the fight for Dutch international Dirk Kuyt is to see another target slip away at the last moment.

There are few clubs in the Premiership who pay more generous salaries than Newcastle but Pompey's new multi-millionaire owner Alexandre Gaydamak has given the South Coast club considerable financial clout. And, like Roeder, Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is just as desperate for new faces.

Nevertheless, Martins is aware of United's far larger profile and the promise of European football should also help to persuade the striker to decide on the North-East.

Indeed, before last night's late move by Pompey, Martins intimated he would be completing his move to Tyneside tomorrow.

Even if Martins does finally seal his switch to St James's Park, Roeder is still looking to bring in another forward before the transfer window closes at the end of the month and chairman Freddie Shepherd is believed to be in talks regarding another target.

Wayne Bridge is also a good bet to wear the black and white stripes this season, presuming Arsenal's Ashley Cole finally moves to Chelsea, while Newcastle remain hopeful Real Madrid's Thomas Gravesen will turn down an approach from Celtic to play for the Magpies. Meanwhile, Jean-Alain Boumsong completed a £3.3m move to Juventus last night. After constant suggestions the French international would only leave on loan to join a club in France, Juventus have not only signed him but are also paying a significant fee.

The Italians have also agreed to play a lucrative friendly at St James's Park next summer, by which time they will hope to have returned to Serie A after their relegation for match fixing.

While United have still taken a sizeable loss on the £8.5m they paid Glasgow Rangers in 2005, the money is expected to reinvested which, presuming Martins does sign, would take Roeder's summer spending to around £20m.

Roeder due on SSN after 10am to discuss the signing of Martins.  Can one of our resident student gypsies keep us updated please?  Always assuming they're awake by then.

183356[/snapback]

I sincerely hope they're right. I would be delighted to hear it from himself today though; until we hear it from the horse's mouth I will be a little nervous.

183361[/snapback]

I don't think Van Nistelroy will comment on it tbh!

I was saying last week that it was only a matter of time before our big wage advantage went with these other newly-taken-over clubs being able to match/better us, and the likes of Spurs maybe being a more attractive option from a career (not money) perspective. This takeover can't come soon enough if it happens tbh.

I was saying last week that it was only a matter of time before our big wage advantage went with these other newly-taken-over clubs being able to match/better us, and the likes of Spurs maybe being a more attractive option from a career (not money) perspective.  This takeover can't come soon enough if it happens tbh.

183370[/snapback]

The whole idea of having some sheik taking us over doesn't sit well with me at all. I have to admit that I do in principle like the fat mans idea of the club being run by people who have a vested interest in it.

But the reality is that the face of football has changed immesurably since Abramovic took over at Chelski. It simply is all about money and (for the moment at least) unless you have bundles of it you're going to get left behind.

So unless there is some multi billionaire Geordie out there who's interesting in buying us, I think that sooner we get this sultan in the better.

183356[/snapback]

That quote's a made up one, like everything that seems to appear in the footballing press.

183356[/snapback]

That quote's a made up one, like everything that seems to appear in the footballing press.

183415[/snapback]

Someone was claiming it was nicked off Wikipedia, but then someone else was asking whether it went up on Wikipedia after the Times printed it. Is it the former?

The problem is more down to silly dickheads trying to promote their unofficial Newcastle websites by making up quotes to try and generate traffic. Not a dig at anyone btw, as I've no idea who made these quotes up, but it doesn't help. Having said all that, the press shouldn't be so stupid as to print stuff that isn't from a) the horse's mouth or b ) a decent source.

183356[/snapback]

183415[/snapback]

Someone was claiming it was nicked off Wikipedia, but then someone else was asking whether it went up on Wikipedia after the Times printed it. Is it the former?

The problem is more down to silly dickheads trying to promote their unofficial Newcastle websites by making up quotes to try and generate traffic. Not a dig at anyone btw, as I've no idea who made these quotes up, but it doesn't help. Having said all that, the press shouldn't be so stupid as to print stuff that isn't from a) the horse's mouth or b ) a decent source.

183419[/snapback]

The person who said it was stolen off Wikipedia was the same person who put it on Wikipedia yesterday afternoon, so I assume he made it up.