Bikers

Craig

The relative risk of being killed on a bike is far, far higher than in a car though - about 20 times higher according to a quick Google I've done. The fact that less people die on bikes is purely down to the fact that much less people drive them.

None of the people I knew were idiots btw but died because cars failed to see them. An easy mistake to make unfortunately and one that is worsened by the fact that many bikers simply drive too fast.

181823[/snapback]

Is that you Rob ?

:lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figures taken from the latest copy of "Ride" magazine which plopped onto Renty's doormat this morning.

181852[/snapback]

:lol:

Howay, it's common sense.

And Spongebob is clearly a grungy biker. ;)

I had a mate who came in one night with all his leathers flayed all down one side and some fairly grim looking but superficial scrapes - he'd come off and skidded alongh the tarmac for 30 metres before hitting the kerb

if he hadn't have had his gear on it would have been down to the bone for sure

Sorry you had to see such a thing, Craig. Not nice at all.

They need to change the fucking law like. Currently, the ONLY thing you HAVE to wear on a bike, is a helmet. The rest is all optional. That's why you always see people whizzing round in casual clothes.

I'm the first to admit I've been guilty of this sort of thing myself like. Back in March, I got myself a scooter to do my commuting, and it took me a minor fall to sit up and take notice of the reasons for wearing proper gear. I had a bit of a slip going up my street, doing no faster than 20mph. I fell off, and it fucking wrecked. I immediately imagined that happening at the top speed it does (60) on the open road, and started wearing better gear straight away.

I think one of the problems with bikes, especially the less powerful ones, is that they're so easy to legally use these days. Scooters or Mopeds for example, are mosly 'twist and go' models now, which is exactly what it says. All you do, is twist the throttle and you're away.

At 16, all you have to do is a day long course (which actually isn't a day long at all) and unless you're seriously shite, you can walk out of there with a licence to ride a 50cc bike, for 2 years. Unsupervised. They'll only do a 'restricted' 30mph, but they're easlily tampered with. It's illegal, but they can be unrestricted, and afterwards will go slightly faster, but never over 50mph. Bairns get away with this all the time, becuase it's impossible for Juliet Bravo etc to tell it's been done without taking it apart, which they aren't going to do on the side of the road.

At 17+, you can do the same course, but you're allowed to use a more powerful bike, owt up to 125cc. Some of the top end models of this power are just about capable of motorway speed.

At this course, called a CBT, which stands for Compulary Basic Training, you're taught the basics of handling the bike, and given reccommendation on what and what not to wear. After a bit of time in a car park practicing manouvers and getting used to the bike, you go out on the road for a while. Then you're done. It's easy as that.

Take all of what I've said above, and stick it on the open road with big fucking machines, it's asking for trouble.

Thing is though, as only anyone whos ever been on a bike can testify, it's a brilliant experience if you do it properly, and it's gaining in popularity. But for me, it's only till I get a car, then I'll be selling it.

Edited by WubbleUC

Ive been riding bikes now for 3 years and touchwood have yet to have an accident. I wear leathers every time i go out as any protection is better than nothing. Riding bikes is a bit like a drug as it can be addictive. However i do know of a couple of people who have had nasty accidents and know of 2 people who were killed.

Craig, i know it sounds daft, but it might help to get some counselling. Police get it offered if they have been to a particularly nasty accident and are always advised to take it if offered. Although it sounds daft seeing a shrink, they really can help you to distance yourself from it

Ive been riding bikes now for 3 years and touchwood have yet to have an accident. I wear leathers every time i go out as any protection is better than nothing. Riding bikes is a bit like a drug as it can be addictive. However i do know of a couple of people who have had nasty accidents and know of 2 people who were killed.

Craig, i know it sounds daft, but it might help to get some counselling. Police get it offered if they have been to a particularly nasty accident and are always advised to take it if offered. Although it sounds daft seeing a shrink, they really can help you to distance yourself from it

182283[/snapback]

Not daft at all marra - I'm gonna see how things go and seek help if needed.

Think it was a given that I was going to have recollections last night...

Bloody hell sounds awful that like.

My mate rides a bike and got hit by a lorry and thrown into the central reservation. He's alright fortuanately but broke both his wrists and now has metal supports or whatever the tech term is to keep them together. Got them for life you can feel the nails through his skin.

Another fella I went to school with got hit by a car and shattered his knee-cap to basically nothing, he's in a wheelchair now.

182283[/snapback]

Not daft at all marra - I'm gonna see how things go and seek help if needed.

Think it was a given that I was going to have recollections last night...

182289[/snapback]

Hows it going Craig?

Not too bad thanks - managed to put it more or less out of my mind as I've been mad busy with my new role which started on Monday ;)

One of my mates who worked on shift at a place I work, rode home through the estate and come off his bike. It's unclear how the accident happened exactly but he hit another car and he (as in his body) hit a bollard and he broke his neck. Soundest lad you could ever meet and was only 19, the worst thing was is his Bike was his pride and joy - something he had saved up for, for months. That alone would put me off ever getting on a bike, moving body bags.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I drive a 3lt rwd convertible which i choose based on the engine and spec underneath it, not because i posted a couple of photos on a board with zero details other than going "hey guys which looks best!" :lol:

I knew that because you mention it every other week ;)

I'm not really fussed about the performance of either bike. The one I'm selling is a 1050cc which will rip your arms off but I'm getting rid cos I'm a dad now and don't fancy falling off at 130mph like some of the idiots bombing around. Both bikes are similar sized engines and similar spec. It does literally come down to which one looks nicer