roy keane to be the new mackems boss?

zico martin

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine in a few years time - Shearer in the Newcastle dugout, Keane in the mackem dugout, Tyne-Wear derbies.  There'll be HELL on. ;)

183995[/snapback]

I'd rather hope we aren't relegated twice in the next few years. :blush:

In some ways it's the ideal move for Keane though. He doesn't have to do much to improve on where they already are and if it goes tit's up everyone will say they are shite so he didn't really have a chance.

It could go either way and I suspect he will be a shite man manager but Kidd may well be an excellent appointment.

According to the Guardian it's not signed and sealed yet, and Keane may have been put off by the fact it's all gone public. The sensible thing to do would have been for Quinn to stay in place as manager until he had it sewn up and then just call a press conference, and announce he was going and have Keane step through the curtains to gasps of amazement from the massed ranks of pressmen...................ok, maybe the bloke from the Sunderland Echo and a spotty kid from A Love Supreme.

They were due to have a clandestine meeting in Ireland this week, but there's no chance of that now that it's all out in the open.

I'd love it if Keane was only winding Quinn up to get back at him for Saipan.

But aye I can't imagine Keane being too thrilled at this all coming out now, I think Quinn was desperate to take the pressure of himself and give the fans something else to talk about.

According to the Guardian it's not signed and sealed yet, and Keane may have been put off by the fact it's all gone public.  The sensible thing to do would have been for Quinn to stay in place as manager until he had it sewn up and then just call a press conference, and announce he was going and have Keane step through the curtains to gasps of amazement from the massed ranks of pressmen...................ok, maybe the bloke from the Sunderland Echo and a spotty kid from A Love Supreme.

They were due to have a clandestine meeting in Ireland this week, but there's no chance of that now that it's all out in the open.

184028[/snapback]

I wonder if 'Quinny' is too nice to be a chairman?? He can't keep his gob shut and is always coming out with soundbites and comments to keep the fans on his side.

According to the Guardian it's not signed and sealed yet, and Keane may have been put off by the fact it's all gone public.  The sensible thing to do would have been for Quinn to stay in place as manager until he had it sewn up and then just call a press conference, and announce he was going and have Keane step through the curtains to gasps of amazement from the massed ranks of pressmen...................ok, maybe the bloke from the Sunderland Echo and a spotty kid from A Love Supreme.

184028[/snapback]

I wonder if 'Quinny' is too nice to be a chairman?? He can't keep his gob shut and is always coming out with soundbites and comments to keep the fans on his side.

184032[/snapback]

Sounds familiar ;)

Thing is, Keane is a pretty private person, was during his playing career. Gave very few interviews, even then it was only to MUTV by the end, and hated the press. I reckon the media attention he'll get over the next couple of days might put him off.

Thing is, Keane is a pretty private person, was during his playing career. Gave very few interviews, even then it was only to MUTV by the end, and hated the press. I reckon the media attention he'll get over the next couple of days might put him off.

184050[/snapback]

Lets hope so. It'll really pop the fuckers bubble ;)

I can't fathom why they're over the moon at this appointment. He's been set up to fail big time. No experience, a shit team rooted to the foot of the table with high expectations and the promise of a world class manager to boot. Ofcourse, the Mackems will come out with the 'he worked under Clough and Ferguson' line but a certain Mr. Souness worked under Nicholson and Paisley and he turned out to be shite.

I'd love it if Keane was only winding Quinn up to get back at him for Saipan.

But aye I can't imagine Keane being too thrilled at this all coming out now, I think Quinn was desperate to take the pressure of himself and give the fans something else to talk about.

184031[/snapback]

What did he do? Line him up with a ladyboy or summat?

Best thing is they take the piss out of us lot, going on about when Shearer gets made manager blah blah, no experience, blah blah, good players rarely make good managers etc.

Give them Roy Keane and they all shit their kegs and forget all that stuff. Of the two I would say Shearer is the one more cut out for management. I didn't even realise Keane had any desires to enter football management at all because I don't think he's got the temperament for it. The MUTV interview where he slagged off half his team mates suggests that he might struggle........

Best thing is they take the piss out of us lot, going on about when Shearer gets made manager blah blah, no experience, blah blah, good players rarely make good managers etc. 

Give them Roy Keane and they all shit their kegs and forget all that stuff.  Of the two I would say Shearer is the one more cut out for management.  I didn't even realise Keane had any desires to enter football management at all because I don't think he's got the temperament for it.  The MUTV interview where he slagged off half his team mates suggests that he might struggle........

184131[/snapback]

Keane isn't a thinker. Tactically, he'll be awful. He might scare them into performing for a game or two but once he's used the hair dryer treatment a few times it'll lose it's effect.

The players don't even have to play for their future as Quinn's given all of them 5 year contracts ;)

Edited by Ted Maul

Give them Roy Keane and they all shit their kegs and forget all that stuff.  Of the two I would say Shearer is the one more cut out for management.  I didn't even realise Keane had any desires to enter football management at all because I don't think he's got the temperament for it.  The MUTV interview where he slagged off half his team mates suggests that he might struggle........

184131[/snapback]

Keane isn't a thinker. Tactically, he'll be awful. He might scare them into performing for a game or two but once he's used the hair dryer treatment a few times it'll lose it's effect.

The players don't even have to play for their future as Quinn's given all of them 5 year contracts ;)

184142[/snapback]

really?

184131[/snapback]

184142[/snapback]

really?

184145[/snapback]

I'm sure Alnwick, Welsh, Murphy, Lawrence, Whitehead and a few other no marks have signed long term, new deals fairly recently.

Keane unveiled to Sunderland team

Roy Keane has been introduced to Sunderland's players as their next manager, BBC Sport understands.

Black Cats chairman Niall Quinn and Keane are thought to have met the squad at training on Sunday ahead of the game against West Brom on Monday.

The 35-year-old is not believed to have yet signed a contract.

But, once the formalities are completed, he is set to be unveiled at the Stadium of Light before the Championship game against the Baggies.

Souness Mk2 imo, all he has his is hard man reputation and a desire to be bigger than the club. He wont put an arm around players when theyre not doing well and if anyone falls out with him then they'll be off.

Souness Mk2 imo, all he has his is hard man reputation and a desire to be bigger than the club. He wont put an arm around players when theyre not doing well and if anyone falls out with him then they'll be off.

186006[/snapback]

pity

<_<

Keane and Sunderland agree terms

Former Manchester United skipper Roy Keane has agreed terms to become the new manager of Sunderland.

Keane is expected to sign a contract after the home Championship game against West Brom on Monday.

The 35-year-old was introduced to the Black Cats squad by chairman Niall Quinn on Sunday.

Keane faces a tough challenge with the club bottom of the Championship after four consecutive league defeats after their relegation last season.

The club were also knocked out of the Carling Cup after a 2-0 loss to lowly Bury.

It will be the former Nottingham Forest, Manchester United and Celtic midfielder's first steps into management, after injury ended his glittering playing career in June 2006.

Keane will replace his former Republic of Ireland team-mate Quinn, who has occupied the role while a permanent choice was sought.

A statement on the club's website said: "Roy Keane visited Sunderland today where he met with players and officials from the club.

"Keane and the club have agreed terms for him to be appointed as manager, and it is envisaged that he will sign a formal contract immediately after Sunderland's game against West Brom tomorrow."

Quinn and his Drumaville consortium bought out former chairman Bob Murray during the summer.

SSN showed a video clip this evening from back in November last year (probably when Keane left Man Utd) where Niall Quinn was asked if he thought Keane will make a good manager....

"Doubtful!" was his response.......

<_<

186006[/snapback]

Agree with that. Was about to say exactly the same thing.

Mackem view here -

Dont think he is a "world class" appointment but i am generally excited at the idea of having him as manager. I honestly feel he cant do any worse than Quinn has a manager, but at the end of the day, he didnt sign up for that. Quinn has brought in money Murray couldnt have provided, and a manager Murray couldnt have provided.

As for the no experience, i suppose we all start out our careers with experience behind us <_<

Mackem view here -

Dont think he is a "world class" appointment but i am generally excited at the idea of having him as manager. I honestly feel he cant do any worse than Quinn has a manager, but at the end of the day, he didnt sign up for that. Quinn has brought in money Murray couldnt have provided, and a manager Murray couldnt have provided.

As for the no experience, i suppose we all start out our careers with experience behind us <_<

186179[/snapback]

Someone before compared Keane with Souness, and I'd have to agree, football management is all about knowing when to put the arm around the shoulder or give a kick up the arse, I fear that Keane, like Souey, only knows the knee in the groin.

Mackem view here -

186179[/snapback]

Someone before compared Keane with Souness, and I'd have to agree, football management is all about knowing when to put the arm around the shoulder or give a kick up the arse, I fear that Keane, like Souey, only knows the knee in the groin.

186182[/snapback]

That could well be true, but then again it could not. Its best to give time to see what he can do before judging. I know its a massive risk, buts its one that could have its positives as well as negatives.

Playing devil's advocate for a second, we were in a similar desperate position rooted to the bottom of the country's second division when our new chairman took a massive gamble on a man who was former captain of his country and who won almost everything there was to win as a player but who had absolutely no managerial or coaching experience...

4 years later, he almost delivered us the Premiership title.

Now I'm not saying Sunderland are going to follow the same path but we could end up with egg on our faces if we totally write him off before he's even sat down in the manager's chair...