Best deal for broadband?

GeordieMessiah

Just wanted to ask others on here what sort of broadband/talk deals they've got. I've just been reviewing my bills and it appears I've been pissing money down the drain for BT Broadband with a separate BT Together talk package which seems to cost about £27.99 for the Broadband and feck knows how much for the landline which I rarely use.

:nono:

Now, seems Sky broadband are offering a much better deal 8MB speed, up to 40GB monthly usage, for a £20 activation fee and then only £5 a month. Then put that together with £5 a month for unlimited phone calls (OK, some small print there, but nowt too scary) and it just seems daft not to do it.

Anyone else know of better deals though? If there's any broadband experts out there, would be grateful for your advice... :aye:

I use Tiscali and I got a call from them yesterday offering to upgrade my broadband and to include all my landline calls (excluding mobile calls) for £19.99 a month. I was paying £15.99 for my broadband and £9.99 on top for my calls already so it's saving me per month. I've never had a problem with them either.

Dunno what the small print in the Sky package is, but yours sounds like a good deal too.

I use Tiscali and I got a call from them yesterday offering to upgrade my broadband and to include all my landline calls (excluding mobile calls) for £19.99 a month. I was paying £15.99 for my broadband and £9.99 on top for my calls already so it's saving me per month. I've never had a problem with them either.

Dunno what the small print in the Sky package is, but yours sounds like a good deal too.

I use Tiscali too, used to pay £15.99 a month for 1mb connection (unlimited) Like Cath i had a recent call and now i have all my landline calls with them too (which are cheaper than BT) Now i pay £14.99 a month for a 2mb connection (unlimited again) I find them a really good ISP, never had a problem with them or their customer service.

• 3 months later...

Got an email off Sky today, saying that I can now get Sky Broadband, will probably go for the Max package:

• Up to 16mb broadband
  • Just £10 a month
  • Unlimited usage allowance
  • Free Activation

Sounds alreet like, free wireless router aswell.

Edited by Hatful Of Hollow

Buy cheap, buy twice.

<_<

I'm with PlusNet, who are pretty adequate. Smack in the middle of the price and performance range based on what I've experienced in the past.

Are they the company who bugger off at 5pm, leaving the support line on an answerphone?

Got an email off Sky today, saying that I can now get Sky Broadband, will probably go for the Max package:

• Up to 16mb broadband
  • Just £10 a month
  • Unlimited usage allowance
  • Free Activation

Sounds alreet like, free wireless router aswell.

Yeah I've got that, it's absolutely great. <_<

Max connection speed I can get is 1.39mb and that's only when I plug directly into the BT test socket, any other socket and I get 0.09mb :)

Buy cheap, buy twice.

<_<

I'm with PlusNet, who are pretty adequate. Smack in the middle of the price and performance range based on what I've experienced in the past.

Are they the company who bugger off at 5pm, leaving the support line on an answerphone?

Could be, I'm not sure I've had cause to find out. Suppose it's still preferable to a "Hello sir my name is being Tarquin"-style call centre experience...

I'm with Sky, and as has been said it was shite at the beginning. Speeds all over the shop and useless customer service. Seems much better now though, and for twice the speed I was getting, for less money, can't go wrong really.

Edited by nufc4ever

I'm with Sky, and as has been said it was shite at the beginning. Speeds all over the shop and useless customer service. Seems much better now though, and for twice the speed I was getting, for less money, can't go wrong really.

So it's worth getting?

How long have you been with Sky, Bass?

How long have you been with Sky, Bass?

Since November 24th. Am yet to ring up customer services to complain as they'll just give me a load of bollocks most likely.

I'd say so, aye. For a tenner a month, anyway. I don't have the calls or owt though.

I'm 3km+ from the exchange and get 4mb. However, speeds vary greatly (in general, I don't mean mine day-to day). Take a look here for what I did lately: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/...ic,33005.0.html

PS - I say 5mb on there, that was with ethernet. I use wireless and it's more sketchy.

Edited by nufc4ever

I love it when companys say up to 8mb, when in reality the majority of people are only getting 1mb due to the distance they live from the exchange.

Everyone other than cable customers are on BT, after all it's their lines these other companys are hiring, the only thing that differs is the price

All I've ever heard about Sky broadband is bad news so I'm not touching them with a barge pole. Also I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for these days - £10 a month may sound good but there'll be a reason for it.

Bass, I'm not doubting it's all been good up until now, but you have only had it for just over a fortnight.

As for J69's comment about them being 'virgins in the broadband arena', that's not true. Sky bought Easynet who are a well established broadband ISP well reknowned for massively failing to cover themselves in glory.

Tiscali is one of the best there is from all accounts...

All I've ever heard about Sky broadband is bad news so I'm not touching them with a barge pole. Also I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for these days - £10 a month may sound good but there'll be a reason for it.

Bass, I'm not doubting it's all been good up until now, but you have only had it for just over a fortnight.

As for J69's comment about them being 'virgins in the broadband arena', that's not true. Sky bought Easynet who are a well established broadband ISP well reknowned for massively failing to cover themselves in glory.

Tell me i'm getting whooshed here. <_<

<_< You missed the sarcastic undertones in my post Chayton.

Up until now it's been complete bollocks. Supposedly 16mb yet I only get 1.39mb and that's ONLY if I use the BT test socket which I can't as it means I lose all my extension points and the alarm connection.

As I absolutely detest ringing support centres (technical ones before any smart arse *cough* Gemmill *cough* says anything), I'm going to thoroughly test things out myself beforehand.

I'll give that faceplate nufc4ever suggested a go... then redo all my extension points... then see what it's like. If I can get it the same speed as my NTL (which is also shite) then I'll be reasonably happy as it's still saving cash.

Oh yes, if anyone wants to configure their Sky wireless router then the password is 'sky' :)

Oh yes, if anyone wants to configure next door's Sky wireless router then the password is 'sky' <_<

Fixed. :)

If you've already tried the test socket then there's no reason a faceplate will help you. For me it helped a great deal because I had a shit extension hardwired into the BT socket and my router on the end of that. Now I have my router by the new faceplate and use wireless - everything is the same (except I use wireless) and my sync speed is double what it was.

Edited by nufc4ever

PS: if you can find your attenuation (in the router status page) and your line length (use http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php) this is a decent guide:

Attenuation.............Approximate Line Length............Potential Connection Speed

32db...................................2.3km.....................................16000kbps

35db...................................2.5km.....................................14500kbps

40db...................................2.9km.....................................11800kbps

45db...................................3.2km.......................................8500kbps

50db...................................3.6km.......................................6500kbps

55db...................................4.0km.......................................4500kbps

60db...................................4.3km.......................................3200kbps

65db...................................4.7km.......................................2000kbps

Edited by nufc4ever

Just signed up to Skys Max package. Old ISP wanted rid of me because of usage. Should be fun <_<

On a side note I found out something last night. Signal to noise ratio is just as important as attenuation. Mine was only 12 dB and according to all the checks that meant the highest speed I can get is 1 meg, my attenuation is 59. If you open up your master socket you'll see an orange wire connected to terminal 3 which is the ring earth or something. If you have a filter on your sockets (which you will have if you have ADSL) then your phone will still work without this connected. The little bastard acts as an aerial for noise and dcing it has doubled my SNR to 24dB. Now all the checks say I can get 3 meg,

Just signed up to Skys Max package. Old ISP wanted rid of me because of usage. Should be fun <_<

On a side note I found out something last night. Signal to noise ratio is just as important as attenuation. Mine was only 12 dB and according to all the checks that meant the highest speed I can get is 1 meg, my attenuation is 59. If you open up your master socket you'll see an orange wire connected to terminal 3 which is the ring earth or something. If you have a filter on your sockets (which you will have if you have ADSL) then your phone will still work without this connected. The little bastard acts as an aerial for noise and dcing it has doubled my SNR to 24dB. Now all the checks say I can get 3 meg,

Tiscali complained at me for the same thing, one of the reasons i'm thinking about switching.

ive downlodaed 647gb since 12/10/06 and have just had a letter fom virgin asking me to take it easy with the downloads <_<

also got a flyer fro sky through the door this morning advrtising the max service - sounds tempting like. upto 16mb for £10 per month