What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

1605520_01.jpg

"Melodies International (Sam Shepherd / Floating Points reissue label) reissue three of the most desired records from the 'modern soul' scene.

Privately recorded in the Detroit area between '73 and '78, and scarcely distributed since, the rare 'Aged In Harmony' 7"s have become highly sought after and much revered by soul enthusiasts around the world. The unique vibrations emanating from these very special records have resonated at the heart of the Melodies label since it's conception, originally prompting the birth of the internationally acclaimed 'You're A Melody' party and forever inspiring generations of soul collectors to dig that little bit deeper.

All originally written, arranged and produced by Arnold Moore, the six recordings bring together Strings, Vocals, Guitars, Synths, Horns and Drums for the perfect marriage of textures, each track contributing it's own individual energy to the warming aura which surrounds the whole collection. There’s something about these compositions that draws you closer to anyone in your vicinity - trust me.

After lovingly remastering these gems in conjunction with their creator, Melodies are proud to present the masterpieces together as a set for the very first time, accompanied by the second edition of the label's very own Melozine, which features an exclusive interview with Arnold himself, amongst much, much more...

TRACKLISTING:

7" One
You're a Melody
You’re a Melody (Extended Disco)

7" Two
I Feel Like Dancin'
Theme For Someone Special

7" Three
Trust Me
Dance Awhile

That's on the classic mix album - Coldcut: Journeys by DJ. Quality tune.

Been listening to this lately (in a similar-ish sort of vein):

Rhythm and Sound are also Basic Channel (pioneered the 'dub techno' sound). Rhythm and Sound is their dub side project. Taken from their  w/ The Artists album. Well worth checking out if you love that bass-heavy dub sound.

That's on the classic mix album - Coldcut: Journeys by DJ. Quality tune.

Been listening to this lately (in a similar-ish sort of vein):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaROjQLZ7_0

Rhythm and Sound are also Basic Channel (pioneered the 'dub techno' sound). Rhythm and Sound is their dub side project. Taken from their w/ The Artists album. Well worth checking out if you love that bass-heavy dub sound.

Cheers, I'll give R&S a spoodle :good:

Cold cut contributed a track to this too, which I bought when it came out in 1991, and was subsequently nicked via a fuckin burglary a few years later. Something reminded me of it last week, so it duly flopped on to my mat via the fabulous market place Discogs yesterday morning, it's also got the wild boys track on it, and some rare mixes of other early 90s tracks

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Give-Peace-A-Dance-A-CND-Compilation/release/73562

Edited by PaddockLad

Cheers, I'll give R&S a spoodle :good:

Cold cut contributed a track to this too, which I bought when it came out in 1991, and was subsequently nicked via a fuckin burglary a few years later. Something reminded me of it last week, so it duly flopped on to my mat via the fabulous market place Discogs yesterday morning, it's also got the wild boys track on it, and some rare mixes of other early 90s tracks

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Give-Peace-A-Dance-A-CND-Compilation/release/73562

Haven't seen that compilation before but it's got some brilliant tracks on it. And yes, discogs is great. I use that site all the time.

2016 has been a fantastic year (for me, anyway) with reams of good music being thrown out every week.

Nao - For All We Know

Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exit

Holy Balm - Activity

GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object

Frank Ocean - Blonde/Endless

Roosevelt - S/T

John Paul White - Beulah

Ryley Walker - Golden Sings That Have Been Sung

Johnnie Frierson - Have You Been Good to Yourself?

Glass Animals - How to be a Human Being

Serpentwithfeet - Blisters EP

Barry Hyde - Malody

Jack White Acoustic Recordings

Teenage Fanclub - Here

Young Thug - JEFFERY

All in rotation throughout the last couple of months. Can fully recommend the "Boombox: Early Independent Hip-Hop, Electro and Disco-Rap" to anyone who is interested in that title.

My iTunes library has grown by some 120 albums already this year. 

120 albums? What sort of quality filter have you got on that list? Really like Ryley Walker for the one good song he puts on each of his albums, the full length listen tends to be tough to stick with. 

I think i have about 15 to 20 albums from this year i could listen to all the way through. Some masterpieces but not as much depth as last year. 

Anderson .paak and Chance the Rapper way out ahead (even if its not my preferred genre, no doubt the highest quality releases). 

120 albums? What sort of quality filter have you got on that list? Really like Ryley Walker for the one good song he puts on each of his albums, the full length listen tends to be tough to stick with. 

I think i have about 15 to 20 albums from this year i could listen to all the way through. Some masterpieces but not as much depth as last year. 

Anderson .paak and Chance the Rapper way out ahead (even if its not my preferred genre, no doubt the highest quality releases). 

If I go through it 3 times and I don't get sick, it's on. From there, it's about taking tracks from albums and putting them into playlists, personal mixes, songs I play before/during/after gigs etc not to mention a lengthy commute. That Riley Walker album is/was perfect for summer mornings when I was carrying myself to work, for instance. The NAO album is RnB that's ready made for most gatherings I have. John Paul White, Mystery Jets, Teenage Fanclub etc all perfect for background music when I'm setting up. I've always been someone who gets in the mood for genres and sounds rather than specific artists though. If I fancy listening to some garage rock, I can look to my library and chuck on Night Beats, Ty Segall, Jack Oblivian from this year and find plenty to enjoy. Even still, this has been an odd year where just about everything I've wanted to be good has jumped out and stayed with me. It's been the first year like that since I was about 17 and then you're far more open to new music so I'm assuming it's a special case.

2016 has been a fantastic year (for me, anyway) with reams of good music being thrown out every week.

Nao - For All We Know

Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exit

Holy Balm - Activity

GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object

Frank Ocean - Blonde/Endless

Roosevelt - S/T

John Paul White - Beulah

Ryley Walker - Golden Sings That Have Been Sung

Johnnie Frierson - Have You Been Good to Yourself?

Glass Animals - How to be a Human Being

Serpentwithfeet - Blisters EP

Barry Hyde - Malody

Jack White Acoustic Recordings

Teenage Fanclub - Here

Young Thug - JEFFERY

All in rotation throughout the last couple of months. Can fully recommend the "Boombox: Early Independent Hip-Hop, Electro and Disco-Rap" to anyone who is interested in that title.

My iTunes library has grown by some 120 albums already this year. 

AH is correct it's been a good year for releases.

Thee Oh Sees -  A Weird Exit

CFM - Still Life Of Citrus and Slime

Besnard Lakes - A Coliseum Complex Museum

Animal Faces - Other Places

Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered

Savages - Adore Life

Wild Nothing - Life of Pause

Even the old faves have had great releases this year

Bat For Lashes - The Bride

Tortise - The Catastrophist

65daysofstatic - No Man's Land: Music for and Infinite Universe

The Descendents - Hypercaffium Spazzinate

Radiohead - Moon Shaped Pool

PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project

Anderson Paak, Radiohead, Whitney, The Avalanches, Bowie, Isaiah Rashad, The Monkees, Nick Cave, Paul Simon and Underworld are my favourites for the year.  There's a few more that I've enjoyed such as PJ Harvey, MItski, Frank Ocean, Angel Olsen and M83 but I've not got round to giving them too much time so far.