Magpies / Toffies match thread

Hughesie

Guest Patrokles

I think you're being harsh to Milner. The amount of times he was in space absolutely screaming for the ball only to be ignored by his teammates, along with the contribution he made when he had it was more than enough to impress me. We'll be making a big mistake if we sell him in January IMO. Why sell him and buy cover when you've got him here already and know he can do a job?

Simply because i think he will be out of the door. I wouldnt stay if i was him - would you?

Not worried about him staying as cover but if he is the standard of first teamer we have then we are fucked. Would prefer we bought better but we wont.

Never seen any real end product from him, no pace, crossing is patchy at best and shooting doesnt really exist. Works hard though.

He is the attacking version of Aaron Hughes. Mind I suppose you shouldnt wish for things or you might just get it - we got Peter Ramage as Hughes' 'replacement'.

Perhaps youre right. Still stand by the opinion he isnt good enough but decent cover as you say.

Just doesnt strike me as top 10 cover never mind top 6 which is where we should be.

Before this season, I'd have agreed with that, but based on his performances this season I'm afraid I have to disagree.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're being harsh to Milner. The amount of times he was in space absolutely screaming for the ball only to be ignored by his teammates, along with the contribution he made when he had it was more than enough to impress me. We'll be making a big mistake if we sell him in January IMO. Why sell him and buy cover when you've got him here already and know he can do a job?

Simply because i think he will be out of the door. I wouldnt stay if i was him - would you?

Not worried about him staying as cover but if he is the standard of first teamer we have then we are fucked. Would prefer we bought better but we wont.

Never seen any real end product from him, no pace, crossing is patchy at best and shooting doesnt really exist. Works hard though.

He is the attacking version of Aaron Hughes. Mind I suppose you shouldnt wish for things or you might just get it - we got Peter Ramage as Hughes' 'replacement'.

Perhaps youre right. Still stand by the opinion he isnt good enough but decent cover as you say.

Just doesnt strike me as top 10 cover never mind top 6 which is where we should be.

Before this season, I'd have agreed with that, but based on his performances this season I'm afraid I have to disagree.

Funily enough the Villa match this season was the last straw for me. He was appalling as were many others.

We have the wrong manager, the wrong players and the wrong chairman. Its like the Revenge of the Sith.

It's quite amazing that our £9,5m-man Albert Luque didn't make the bench today, but loanee and manyoo-player Guiseppe Rossi did... hmmm :good:

What's the status on Bernard? Will he be fit to play next sunday?

Still had to love Sky's unbiased coverage of the game today, Andy Gray in there Ex-Evertonian and let's not forget having the Ex-Evertonian and Sunderland manager in the studio as well.

It's quite amazing that our £9,5m-man Albert Luque didn't make the bench today, but loanee and manyoo-player Guiseppe Rossi did... hmmm :good:

What's the status on Bernard? Will he be fit to play next sunday?

You could argue that Rossi offered more in 10 minutes than Luque has in 14 odd months...

But don't worry, Luque will be on the bench for the UEFA Cup match and the trip to Old Trafford, so we might be afforded another opportunity to see his "skills"

Emre gets swamped because he's basically playing in a one-man midfield whenever we go forward and lose the ball.

I enjoyed today as a game of football. There are signs that we're getting back to playing quick, positive football, and that's mainly what I was looking for at the start of the season. This isn't going to be a season where we get back into the Champ's League or win the Premiership. What we need to see this season is the building of foundations for the coming seasons. Hopefully with the right purchases in January, we'll see that. This season, I'd just like to see entertaining football, which we got today.

I pretty much agree here. Im happy with the midfield as it stands. SometimesI wonder if Parker it trying to do too much leaving the centre weak when we loose the ball though. We have Dyer coming back and if he stayed fit would offer pentration and link up to the forwards which I do think we are missing somewhat.

The second half today I thought going forward we were pretty decent. Ameobi is sid to be having his op in te winter so we must get a new target man in (who could them play with Owen / Martins). I think Martins may have potential but its clear he is going to have to adapt. He is pushed off the ball a little easy and goes down a little easy - maybe thats whats he is used to - but that can change. He does need to be more mobile though when looking for the ball, he eeds to be running into space and anticipating the ball. He is a little too static at times. Then his finishing needs working on. Against Everton he had the chances, but I think most of them were pulled wide.

Its at the back though where I have most concern. We have no decent back up for Carr (some would argue he should be the backup), our LBs are appauling (Ramage is just not a LB and offers little going forward when he is there, barely linking up with the LM), Bernard still being short of match fitness must have been in some state when he came and Babayaro can have a good game, but overall I think he is lazy and defending is poor. Moore is canny in the centre and Taylor can be but like many, I think Bramble is pushing his luck. He's been here for a while now and still suffers from the same idiocy. He was a liability again yesterday and when both teams went down to 9 men and he went off I thought it might have left us in a stronger position.

Its at the back though where I have most concern. We have no decent back up for Carr (some would argue he should be the backup), our LBs are appauling (Ramage is just not a LB and offers little going forward when he is there, barely linking up with the LM), Bernard still being short of match fitness must have been in some state when he came and Babayaro can have a good game, but overall I think he is lazy and defending is poor. Moore is canny in the centre and Taylor can be but like many, I think Bramble is pushing his luck. He's been here for a while now and still suffers from the same idiocy. He was a liability again yesterday and when both teams went down to 9 men and he went off I thought it might have left us in a stronger position.

With Bramble and Babayaro both facing suspensions, we have 5 defenders with Premiership experience, one of whom is coming back from an injury and the other (Bernard) is reported to be woefully short of fitness. As if the defence wasn't bad enough. :good:

Looking forward to Ronaldo and Rooney vs our back four next week. :D

Two bad defensive teams today, but a canny entertaining game for the neutral. Just some thoughts;

- Emre is putting himself about and is far more involved than he was last seaon imo. His end product though isn't great.

- Milner is looking sharper and skillful...but no end product.

- Martins looked like he had a goal in him yesterday, think the critiscism of him from some quarters already is unfair. Needs to stop panicing...and falling over.

- I like Sibierski. I don't know why, but I do.

Two bad defensive teams today, but a canny entertaining game for the neutral. Just some thoughts;

- Emre is putting himself about and is far more involved than he was last seaon imo. His end product though isn't great.

- Milner is looking sharper and skillful...but no end product.

- Martins looked like he had a goal in him yesterday, think the critiscism of him from some quarters already is unfair. Needs to stop panicing...and falling over.

- I like Sibierski. I don't know why, but I do.

- When he put that corner straight out it was embarassing, but yes in open play I think he's doing a lot more

- Milner put in a lot of work, especially in the second half

- Martins needs the ball played in front of him more, the passes he gets at the moment are too into feet, and he gets caught up with himself,

- I'd be happier if he could actually put his head on the ball, instead of his shoulder, neck, back. But I'm not sure he ever asks for the ball to be played there.

Martins was a bit unlucky yesterday (especially with his last effort which would have been a great goal) and I think he will score goals for us.

I just worry that there are quite a few fans who are calling him already.

I understand we paid a lot for him but you have to give him some time to settle in.

People need to forget about Shearer (fucking hard when they are still getting his name on the back of their new shirts!) and not compare Martins to him. It feels a bit similar to when we got Kitson in after Cole and because he wasn't banging them from day one.

Aside from that I thought yesterday was dreadfull and made me realise how far back we've fell since Robson and how little we've moved forward since Souness. There is no pattern to our play and teams do not have to come and play against us because they know we will just gift them chances.

I predict another season of long matches at home where any win will be a struggle.