Collymore poised for comeback bid

Chaser

Stan Collymore claims he is ready to make a bid to return to the Premiership after five years out of football.

The 35-year-old striker has not played since walking out on Spanish side Real Oviedo in March 2001.

But he told the Daily Mirror: "I've had physical tests and I'm confident I will come back faster, stronger and fitter than I ever was.

"A month from today I guarantee I will be able to stand side by side with any striker in the country."

Collymore, who played for Crystal Palace, Southend, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Fulham, Leicester, Bradford and Real Oviedo, has flown to Tenerife to start a three-week fitness regime.

He insists he has shaken off the personal problems that have affected his career and private life and said: "This time I'm not going to self-destruct.

"You are not going to see headlines about me being kicked out of a bar somewhere in the early hours rolling drunk.

"There is no reason why I can't be back to my best. Don't forget that as a footballer I haven't got a lot of miles on the clock. When I retired it wasn't because I was crumbling physically like Ian Wright or Gazza."

And he insisted: "I went to the World Cup as a punter. I didn't see any players that made me think 'I can't do that'. It might sound big-headed but I still believe that I am the best."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...all/5405254.stm

Glenn Roeder November 2006:

"Stan came back last week, and it seemed a good idea to invite him train with us

"It's been great to have him around as he's a great friend of the club. He is a smashing lad and he will be staying to watch the game on Thursday night."

Stan Collymore claims he is ready to make a bid to return to the Premiership after five years out of football.

The 35-year-old striker has not played since walking out on Spanish side Real Oviedo in March 2001.

But he told the Daily Mirror: "I've had physical tests and I'm confident I will come back faster, stronger and fitter than I ever was.

"A month from today I guarantee I will be able to stand side by side with any striker in the country."

Collymore, who played for Crystal Palace, Southend, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Fulham, Leicester, Bradford and Real Oviedo, has flown to Tenerife to start a three-week fitness regime.

He insists he has shaken off the personal problems that have affected his career and private life and said: "This time I'm not going to self-destruct.

"You are not going to see headlines about me being kicked out of a bar somewhere in the early hours rolling drunk.

"There is no reason why I can't be back to my best. Don't forget that as a footballer I haven't got a lot of miles on the clock. When I retired it wasn't because I was crumbling physically like Ian Wright or Gazza."

And he insisted: "I went to the World Cup as a punter. I didn't see any players that made me think 'I can't do that'. It might sound big-headed but I still believe that I am the best."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...all/5405254.stm

Glenn Roeder November 2006:

"Stan came back last week, and it seemed a good idea to invite him train with us

"It's been great to have him around as he's a great friend of the club. He is a smashing lad and he will be staying to watch the game on Thursday night."

Glenn after the game on Thursday:

"I spoke at length with Stanley after the game on Thursday night, and I found his enthusiasm and confidence to be infectious. He has had an illustrious career to date, seen just about everything there is to see in the game, and I feel that he could be a great guy to have around the club, we could get some games out of him, and at the same time he would be a great figure for the younger lads to look up to."

To think that just over 11 years ago, a high proportion of us wanted him to replace Andy Cole. One of many names at that time who were suggested.

You know, we all joke about it, but I'm seriously worried.

Liable to score a forty yard screamer on his debut and then spend the rest of the season dogging in the Gallowgate end and self destructing.

Never rated him me like. Aye, he was a very good player, problem was it was once every 10 games. Tbh, having thought about it, he'll be nowhere near the PL. No-one, not even us, are stupid enough to give him a top flight contract. He's had one serious offer since he retired and that was to go back to Southend. Nuff said.

Glenn after the game on Thursday:

"I spoke at length with Stanley after the game on Thursday night, and I found his enthusiasm and confidence to be infectious. He has had an illustrious career to date, seen just about everything there is to see in the game, and I feel that he could be a great guy to have around the club, we could get some games out of him, and at the same time he would be a great figure for the younger lads to look up to."

Fat Fred February 2007:

"I believe that Stan is just the man to take us forward, we're a big club, maybe the biggest there is and theres no bigger name than Stan Collymore in the world of football. I thank Glenn for all he has done for this club especially bringing Stanley to us and wish him well for the future."

He can train in Tenerife all he likes but after 5 years out of the game his sharpness and footballing abilities will be gone to fuck. Saying that I fully expect us to give him a 5 year contract.

To think that just over 11 years ago, a high proportion of us wanted him to replace Andy Cole. One of many names at that time who were suggested.

When he wanted to play, Collymore was awesome tbh, one of the best in the league at the time.

Unfortunately his 'wanting to play' usually lasted for the first 90minutes of his first game for each club.

Real Oviedo refused to give him a game 5 and a half years ago. And now he reckons hes up there with the best!? Deluded tbh.

Unfortunately his 'wanting to play' usually lasted for the first 90minutes of his first game for each club.

Real Oviedo refused to give him a game 5 and a half years ago. And now he reckons hes up there with the best!? Deluded tbh.

Of all people on here, I expected you to be the one person who would want to sign him.