Martins

Dr Gloom

I'm pleased he got a goal for the first time in a while. He could have had plenty by now, even with fairly poor movement. I'm confident he'll improve, and his penalty yesterday will serve as a confidence booster.

Also, I thought he was left-footed, but he took the penalty with his right. Strange.

yeah - what was that about?

Maybe he is right-footed actually. Or just really talented on both.

Obviously i m not in his league but i am left footed and tend to take pens with right, no idea why. always take longer range stuff with left cos its stronger. always do keepy uppies on right as well but almost entirely left footed other than those two things.

I'm right footed, always took penalties and direct free-kicks with the left. But Corners, or general play with the right.

I could put bend with the right, but if I wanted to keep it straight and give it power uit had to be the left foot..

not really sure why, maybe the right foot was a firmer base.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought for a while that he would score goals eventually. He gets enough efforts in that he's bound to put some of them away (like Cole when he first came here).

His movement is also improving and we seem to be able to play to him more now. Of course it helps when you have a player like Nobby at right back who can actually use the ball!

i think playing alongside sibierski has helped him. he doesn't look much good as a lone ranger up top - far better when he can peel off a target man.

how good was le sib's through ball for his first goal. le bald genius is fast becoming a club legend

i think playing alongside sibierski has helped him. he doesn't look much good as a lone ranger up top - far better when he can peel off a target man.

how good was le sib's through ball for his first goal. le bald genius is fast becoming a club legend

Your definition of legend doesn't match mine.

By all accounts he was fantastic up front on his own against Arse the other week. But I do agree that having someone like Le Sib (or preferably someone a lot better) does help him.

By all accounts he was fantastic up front on his own against Arse the other week. But I do agree that having someone like Le Sib (or preferably someone a lot better) does help him.

He had Dyer supporting him though as an attacking midfielder / 2nd striker. In any case, I don't think he'd benefit from playing upfront on his own too much. Especially in the Premier League.

dyer played alongside him for most of that game iirc

He had Dyer supporting him though as an attacking midfielder / 2nd striker. In any case, I don't think he'd benefit from playing upfront on his own too much. Especially in the Premier League.

Has he ever really played up front on his own for us?

I don't think his upturn in form can be attributed to suddenly playing with someone else. Playing with someone who is actually able to help him I would say.

if he keeps banging them in at the rate he's going at, he's going to achive cult status with me.

he's ketbaia mark II in the making. all he needs now is a novelty nutcase celebration.

I don't think his upturn in form can be attributed to suddenly playing with someone else. Playing with someone who is actually able to help him I would say.

Aye, getting used to the pace of the game here too. I would agree with you but I would also say Dyer and Sibierski would help him by playing alongside him, only in different ways.

i'm sure martins has played the lone ranger role this season in a 4-3-3/ 4-5-1...whatever you want to call it and has generally looked a bit pap doing so. not his fault, i just think he's more suited to playing with a strike partner....much like micky owen in that respect.

But I do agree that having someone like Le Sib (or preferably someone a lot better) does help him.

That's a touch harsh on the Sib. He hasn't put a foot wrong, in fact I am struggling to think of the last player to come into the club and score as many vital goals as he has...

if he keeps banging them in at the rate he's going at, he's going to achive cult status with me.

he's ketbaia mark II in the making. all he needs now is a novelty nutcase celebration.

Ah well, I wouldn't call Ketsbaia a legend either, so we do have different criteria. I don't think we have any legends in the team at the moment, with the possible exception of Nobby.

Sibierski is technically average but plays with passion and gives 100%, and is in a purple patch. Turning out to be a good signing, without a doubt.

Although he scored some important goals, Ketsbaia was shit tbh. That said, he always had a go and his arrival coincided with Daglish ripping the (attacking) heart out of KK's team so I think that's why he's remembered fondly too. I rate Sibierski as a better player though. Not amazing but he's done very well for us so far.

But I do agree that having someone like Le Sib (or preferably someone a lot better) does help him.

That's a touch harsh on the Sib. He hasn't put a foot wrong, in fact I am struggling to think of the last player to come into the club and score as many vital goals as he has...

I'm not wishing to knock Le Sib because he's far surpassed my expectations of him (especially playing out of position) and he's playing well. But that doesn't stop me wishing we had better.

Aye, getting used to the pace of the game here too. I would agree with you but I would also say Dyer and Sibierski would help him by playing alongside him, only in different ways.

I wouldn't argue with that.

i'm sure martins has played the lone ranger role this season in a 4-3-3/ 4-5-1...whatever you want to call it and has generally looked a bit pap doing so. not his fault, i just think he's more suited to playing with a strike partner....much like micky owen in that respect.

I can't think of a game where Martins has played on his own like but I might be wrong. Anyway I agree that he seems more suited to playing with a partner.

The Sib's work rate is superb, at least you know he's out there busting a gut, and he's getting his rewards. Goes to show, I have no doubt that Luque is technically a far better player that The Sib, but I know who I'd rather have in the team.

The Sib's work rate is superb, at least you know he's out there busting a gut, and he's getting his rewards. Goes to show, I have no doubt that Luque is technically a far better player that The Sib, but I know who I'd rather have in the team.

If Luque had grafted anywhere near as much as Sibierski he would have won the fans (and probably the coaching staff) over a a long time ago.

If Luque had grafted anywhere near as much as Sibierski he would have won the fans (and probably the coaching staff) over a a long time ago.

that's the problem. he's the proverbial gutless johnny foreigner who only here to pick up his wages.