Alan Pardew

janu

Not slagging Pardew by any means, but I have to question his use of Perch at left-back when there are perhaps other options open to him.

Perch has proven to be less than acceptable in his natural position on the right so why play him out of position on the left if there are other wild-card choices to take a chance on.

Is there someone who regularly plays left-back for the reserve team therefore is familiar with that position and could have stepped up?

Should he have taken a chance on Kadar playing out of position rather than Perch?

Jonas is a left-sided player, should he have dropped him back and put Lovenkrands or someone else in front of him?

I know it may sound like Monday morning quarterbacking but I always think about what I could have done in a similar situation.

Fair comment Noelie.

Kadar could have played, we know Perch isn't good enough, maybe Pardew will see it too. The real problem is, as you insinuate, we are badly short on cover for Enrique which is a disgrace tbh, even Keegan said when he was manager that he wanted competition for Enrique.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One good thing about Pardew is that he can / is able to communicate with the press / fans.

He can talk openly about what he wants to do / or doesn't want to do. Hughton obviously didn't have their backing and therefore could never opionate ? himself which is why he ended up as a yes man.

Pardews already clearly knocked the Keane story straight on the head with the local journos.

I haven't seen much evidence of that.

I thought you didn't live round here?

Listening to the likes of Mick Lowes etc it's very clear there is a lot more comma going on.

With the Keane thing he literally said I know the manager is not interested at all.

Over the last 18 months, they've all sounded as clueless as most on here and haven't hid the fact.

The journos are loving getting stories and gossip again, make no mistake.

Not slagging Pardew by any means, but I have to question his use of Perch at left-back when there are perhaps other options open to him.

Perch has proven to be less than acceptable in his natural position on the right so why play him out of position on the left if there are other wild-card choices to take a chance on.

Is there someone who regularly plays left-back for the reserve team therefore is familiar with that position and could have stepped up?

Should he have taken a chance on Kadar playing out of position rather than Perch?

Jonas is a left-sided player, should he have dropped him back and put Lovenkrands or someone else in front of him?

I know it may sound like Monday morning quarterbacking but I always think about what I could have done in a similar situation.

Fair comment Noelie.

Kadar could have played, we know Perch isn't good enough, maybe Pardew will see it too. The real problem is, as you insinuate, we are badly short on cover for Enrique which is a disgrace tbh, even Keegan said when he was manager that he wanted competition for Enrique.

I'm guessing Perch was played over Kadar because he's quicker and agaiunst Lennon that would be important. He didn't have a bad game by his own standards.

Fair comment Noelie.

Thank-you LeazesMag.

I checked and see that Shane Ferguson is listed as Left-Back on the reserve team roster by the NUFC official website. So there was another option for Pardew to replace Enrique, one which may have made more sense than out of position Perch. And it adds to my comment about who plays in that position for the reserve team.

Fair comment Noelie.

I'm guessing Perch was played over Kadar because he's quicker and agaiunst Lennon that would be important. He didn't have a bad game by his own standards.

Pace [catch-up/recovery speed] counts for little if the FB allows too much of a cushion/creative space between himself and the attacker, particularly if the delivery/final ball equals that of the running & dribbling ability - and Lennon's end product has greatly improved over the last two seasons. A pertinant point considering the amount of central options Spurs [and other top-of-the-table outfits] had at their disposal ie. the blokes who cash in on the outstanding wide play of Lennon & Bale. It's why Perch is such a liability at this higher level of competition. Even a hatchet-type challenge early on to give his opposite number to think about would suffice - Griffin was great for that.

Surely Kadar offers more, on both counts - both in terms of physical presence and a suffocating pattern of defensive play.

Edited by Year Zero

Fair comment Noelie.

Pace [catch-up/recovery speed] counts for little if the FB allows too much of a cushion/creative space between himself and the attacker, particularly if the delivery/final ball equals that of the running & dribbling ability - and Lennon's end product has greatly improved over the last two seasons. A pertinant point considering the amount of central options Spurs [and other top-of-the-table outfits] had at their disposal ie. the blokes who cash in on the outstanding wide play of Lennon & Bale. It's why Perch is such a liability at this higher level of competition. Even a hatchet-type challenge early on to give his opposite number to think about would suffice - Griffin was great for that.

Surely Kadar offers more, on both counts - both in terms of physical presence and a suffocating pattern of defensive play.

I don't disagree. But when you think of reasons for Perch to play, the fact that he appears to be decently quick, fit and agile must be why he was played. The fact that he isn't a good defender and likes to hide from responsibility (or give too much space) was lost on Pardew, despite him apparently having watched all of our games this season. The sooner Enrique is back the better, though I'd prefer if Kadar or Ferguson were used in the event that he's not available. Perch we should be looking to get rid of back to the championship. There's no point having cover if they're likely to be a liability when played. Another option would have been to more Steven Taylor to right-back and move Simpson over to the left. Would work better against a less pacy opposition.

I know exactly what you bunch will be writing in a years time if he's successful. 'i knew he would blah blah fucking blah'.

Show me one person who doesn't think he's a great signing.

Your words are lost even trying to explain. :icon_lol:

• 4 weeks later...

7/10 for the way he's not allowed Ashleys decision to crush the squad with Hughtons departure. I really dislike some of the things he says in interviews by singling players out but he seems abit more knowledgable than I originally gave him credit for.

He's working with Chris' squad and I still think there's something more to his being here than just because he's a 'good manager'. Something's gone before with Llambias or Ashley and I'd love to know the ins and outs.

I hope he's getting good advice as I don't think he can spot a good player tbh. The lengths I'd go to not to play Perch as a manager are unbelievable, yet he sees him as capable in a midfield berth. Poor decision making sometimes.

7/10 and never going to get much better than this with tbhe current owner.

7/10

So far so good for me.

Has hit the ground running and coped well given the circumstances of his arrival and the fact that his own career had stuttered so badly.

Hearing players comments in the press would suggest he is having a positive impact on training. (I particularly like the way we have started to try new things at free kicks).

I am also pleased that he is getting our current squad tied down.

I think the communication with the journalist, and so us, is better than it has been since Keegan.

The bottom line will be whether this "Kernt" that people talk about will appear once he has his feet under the table.

Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes and realises what a magnificent opportunity he now has.

He'd have had 5 wins out of 7 were it not for injury time goals.

He's not doing too bad, all things considered.

Bit tired of people giving Hughton all the credit.

I half expected things to go drastically wrong (and after Man City and Spurs away I thought that was coming), so he's done better than expected for sure.

7/10

So far so good for me.

Has hit the ground running and coped well given the circumstances of his arrival and the fact that his own career had stuttered so badly.

Hearing players comments in the press would suggest he is having a positive impact on training. (I particularly like the way we have started to try new things at free kicks).

I think the communication with the journalist, and so us, is better than it has been since Keegan.

The bottom line will be whether this "Kernt" that people talk about will appear once he has his feet under the table.

Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes and realises what a magnificent opportunity he now has.

No need for you to respond CT. Your positive spin on any and every event, even stretching so far as to contradict your own initial gut reaction has given you a Comical Ali persona. When everything is brilliant you can't really be constructive.

saw an interesting comparison by a guy called rexn between hughton's last 7 and pardews first 7 (if we discount liverpool, as he had less than 24 hours with team)

hughton's last 7: W2 D2 L3 F12 A11 - these involved a derby, playing 2 champions league contenders, and a team pushing for europe

Pardew's first 7: W2 D2 L3 F10 A10 - these involved a derby, playing 3 champions league contenders, and a team in league 2

also, in 3 of pardew's 7 games we've conceded after 90 minutes.

Edited by rabit71

7/10

So far so good for me.

No need for you to respond CT. Your positive spin on any and every event, even stretching so far as to contradict your own initial gut reaction has given you a Comical Ali persona. When everything is brilliant you can't really be constructive.

Which bit is the spin?

The players positive comments re the improvements in training?

Tying down Ben Arfa, Barton etc?

Improved communications with the press.

I think the truth is that you have dug yourself so deep into the trenches and cant see that the war is actually over.

No need for you to respond Happy.